1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New film camera not working with new batteries?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by JG Hall, Mar 14, 2019 at 3:09 PM.

1. JG Hall

JG Hall Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2018
    Hi folks,

Ordered a Chinon CE-4 off eBay. Advertised as working. That was true. Took it out the box and it was working right away.

I have another Chinon CE-4 bought from a charity shop. Never had batteries and wanted to try it out. But batteries from most recent chinon (2) into original Chinon (1). Chinon 1 doesn't turn on. But the batteries back in Chinon 2. It was literally working fine minutes ago and won't even turn on now!

Any clue as to why this is? I even tried new bsttbatte in both today and neither turn on, am I doing something wrong? Both are in good condition.

2. Polish the two batteries, don't touch them with your finger tips. Clean the battery terminal at the base of the battery chamber with a knife. Clean the inside of the battery cover with a knife. Do the same with the screw threads on battery cover and battery chamber. Have another go.

Think that camera took 2x 1.5v silver oxide button cells (10L14/SR44). Might not work with a single 3v lithium version (DL1/3N). If it doesn't work, try different batteries from a different shop. When they go, they go without warning.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JG Hall

JG Hall Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2018

Thank you so much for your quick response, I've just tried this and manage to get one working! Now to try the next one...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. JG Hall

JG Hall Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2018
    I've got both working now!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Well done. Good to see I didn't completely waste 9 years of my life in photo retail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Glad you got them both working, and congrats for reviving two film cameras!

One of my typical refurbishing steps is to take a cotton swab soaked with a little white vinegar and clean up the battery compartment, especially when visible battery leakage is present. The lightly acidic vinegar cleans it all up quite well.

Another thing that can happen is that a weak battery can have enough juice for one camera but not another, even of the same model. This bit me on a trip once where I tested an older battery in my chrome AE-1 then put it in my black AE-1 assuming it would work. It didn't. Luckily I had brought along my trusty Olympus XA as a backup. ;) 

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. JG Hall

JG Hall Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2018
    I only have one camera store in my city, was dreading going to see them in case they charged me a Leica worth to do something so simple lol

8. algold

algold Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Israel
    Alex
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JG Hall

JG Hall Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2018

Wow that's interesting, this is my first venture into film photography so it's all very new to me.

At least I got a full frame kit for £50 :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.