New film camera not working with new batteries?

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
Hi folks,

Ordered a Chinon CE-4 off eBay. Advertised as working. That was true. Took it out the box and it was working right away.

I have another Chinon CE-4 bought from a charity shop. Never had batteries and wanted to try it out. But batteries from most recent chinon (2) into original Chinon (1). Chinon 1 doesn't turn on. But the batteries back in Chinon 2. It was literally working fine minutes ago and won't even turn on now!

Any clue as to why this is? I even tried new bsttbatte in both today and neither turn on, am I doing something wrong? Both are in good condition.

Real Name
Richard
Polish the two batteries, don't touch them with your finger tips. Clean the battery terminal at the base of the battery chamber with a knife. Clean the inside of the battery cover with a knife. Do the same with the screw threads on battery cover and battery chamber. Have another go.

Think that camera took 2x 1.5v silver oxide button cells (10L14/SR44). Might not work with a single 3v lithium version (DL1/3N). If it doesn't work, try different batteries from a different shop. When they go, they go without warning.

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
Polish the two batteries, don't touch them with your finger tips. Clean the battery terminal at the base of the battery chamber with a knife. Clean the inside of the battery cover with a knife. Do the same with the screw threads on battery cover and battery chamber. Have another go.

Think that camera took 2x 1.5v silver oxide button cells (10L14/SR44). Might not work with a single 3v lithium version (DL1/3N). If it doesn't work, try different batteries from a different shop. When they go, they go without warning.

Thank you so much for your quick response, I've just tried this and manage to get one working! Now to try the next one...

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular

I've got both working now!

Glad you got them both working, and congrats for reviving two film cameras!

One of my typical refurbishing steps is to take a cotton swab soaked with a little white vinegar and clean up the battery compartment, especially when visible battery leakage is present. The lightly acidic vinegar cleans it all up quite well.

Another thing that can happen is that a weak battery can have enough juice for one camera but not another, even of the same model. This bit me on a trip once where I tested an older battery in my chrome AE-1 then put it in my black AE-1 assuming it would work. It didn't. Luckily I had brought along my trusty Olympus XA as a backup. ;)

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
Well done. Good to see I didn't completely waste 9 years of my life in photo retail.
I only have one camera store in my city, was dreading going to see them in case they charged me a Leica worth to do something so simple lol

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
Glad you got them both working, and congrats for reviving two film cameras!

One of my typical refurbishing steps is to take a cotton swab soaked with a little white vinegar and clean up the battery compartment, especially when visible battery leakage is present. The lightly acidic vinegar cleans it all up quite well.

Another thing that can happen is that a weak battery can have enough juice for one camera but not another, even of the same model. This bit me on a trip once where I tested an older battery in my chrome AE-1 then put it in my black AE-1 assuming it would work. It didn't. Luckily I had brought along my trusty Olympus XA as a backup. ;)

Wow that's interesting, this is my first venture into film photography so it's all very new to me.

At least I got a full frame kit for £50 :laugh1:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom