1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Fast Wide Prime please

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Muntjack, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Any more rumours of a fast wide prime? An upgraded, faster 14mm pancake say or a PL17.
    I really need a fast wide to complete my 3-lens kit. Ideally a 14mm f1.x but 17 would do.
    M

2. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    A high quality 9mm f/2 would likely never come off my camera.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There has been a rumor of a Pan Leica 17 or 17.5 mm f/1.4. And, of course, there's the Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95, but it's manual focus.

4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Ideal for me would be a new 14mm sub f2 about the size of the 20mm or so.

I don't shoot wide much but a compact walk around setup appeals to me greatly.
    I do like fast glass though as it makes me feel more secure.
    M

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The only trouble with Fast Wide Prime's is lots of ££££££.

6. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    What's wrong with 12mm/2? It's fast, it's a prime.

Yeah not a pancake but that may be impossible.

7. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    12mm is too wide for my taste I'm afraid... lovely lens - it's silver though (yuck!).

M

8. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Sadly my GAS is undaunted by price. :frown:

M

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Definitely agree!:biggrin:

10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Mine too, except when it comes to fulfilling the symptoms of acquisitiveness that the syndrome causes. Then price can become not only daunting, but invincible.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Schneider has an upcoming 14mm lens. Might be f/2.0. I doubt it'll be any faster.

The Olympus 17/2.8 is overdue for a replacement, but there haven't been any rumors in the usual places.

DH

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yeah... fast, prime, very nice lens... in some situations... but not wide enough for many other situations.

Someday, hopefully, we'll get a 7 or 8mm prime, f/2.8 or so. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Meantime, the Pany 7mm f/4 is da bomb! :smile: (that's what I call the 7-14, which is a prime to me and the aperture is ok... often I want to stop it down, if I can, to enhance the deep DOF inherent in these lenses.)

13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    For me the Schneider 14mm is a no-go... I just don't like the focal length and even if I did, I'm sure the Schneider price would be crazy.

BUT, I would LOVE a high quality 17mm native m4/3 lens (current Oly 17mm doesn't quite do it for me.)

I have a feeling Pany (perhaps Schneider?) will give us a GREAT 17mm prime, at some point. I would pay the money for a fast-ish, native AF, Schneider 17mm.

14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 for a great quality 17mm-ish.

An updated 20/1.7 would be nice as well.... hmmm, maybe that could be our first weather-sealed prime?

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I think that the Oly 17mm lens is fantastic as a focal length lens to walk around with. I would love it if it was a tad faster. Maybe 2.3 or 2.0, and I would not mind if it needed to be 50% longer. At the very least they should update it so its sharp all around and not only at the center.

16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    THAT's the point many of us are trying to make. Status quo isn't so great.

Let's get a high quality 17mm, whether it comes from Pany, Oly, Schneider, Zeiss, Leitz... whomever, I sure don't care... let's just have it. :smile: