New, Fast (f2) Olympus 17mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mccalltd, Nov 22, 2011.

1. mccalltd

mccalltd New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2011
    I have a 20mm f1.7 and am growing more and more annoyed by the slow indoor focusing. The lens was fun in the bright and warm days of summer, but not so much since life has moved indoors for the winter.

I also have a 45mm f1.8, and the kit zoom that came with the EP-3, both of which are crazy fast (and quiet, and accurate) to focus on the EP-3. It's night and day with the 20mm f1.7. With this experience, I am DYING for Olympus to make a fast, updated version of the 17mm. I had their current version of that lens for a little while but thought its focusing was just as slow and noisy as the 20mm.

Does anyone else want a fast (<= f2) 17mm to come from Olympus? Frankly, I'd be happy with a two-lens kit: fast 17 and the fast 45. No need for the 12/14 or 20/25 lenses that are currently available.

I guess I am simply curious if there is any real demand for this sort of lens. I know Olympus will not read this and decide this is a good idea. But if a lot of other people want a similar lens, then maybe I can hold out hope! :)
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, a lot of us want a fast 17!
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think a lot of folks are looking forward to a faster Oly 17 and/or an updated (focus speed) Panasonic 20. I would just like Oly to stick with a pancake profile.
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Speed is nice, but I'd rather have the IQ of the 20mm. If they could package that into a 17mm pancake I'd buy it in a heartbeat, because 35mm-equivalent is about my perfect FL.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mccalltd

mccalltd New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2011
    IQ is nice, but I'd rather have speed for indoors and a fast moving toddler/candids. :)
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Better lenses are always welcome, and the 17 is the weakest of the m4/3 lenses currently available.

Still, the difference between 12 and 17 is vast. A 17 won't substitute for a 12. We need a fast 17 and a good 12 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

7. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

I have the 12mm / 20mm /45mm

i would replave the 20mm with
    1) a 17mm with equal or better image quality and faster AF
    2) a 20mm with equal or better image quality and faster AF, if i dont get 1) before :p
  8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    With the recent release of the first weather sealed lens from Oly, and the talk of it most probably being a new kit lens for future bodies, is this not an opportune time to revamp and improve the 17mm pancake to weather proof status and make is faster? A little longer in the physical dimensions would be fine for me if it was faster. This FOW is perfect for me.

The current 17mm is a great walkabout lens and works well on the Oly bodies. I know the pana 20mm is better but the Oly has some character.
  9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    No. I want a fast f1.0 17mm to come from Cosina Voigtlander :smile:
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ok are we talking fast as in the auto-focus works quickly OR fast as in a lens with a large aperture??? :confused:
  11. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    9mm 1.4, 17mm 1.4 and 28mm 1.4 trio would be awesome all the size of the PL 25mm 1.4 or smaller and price :)
  12. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Good thought - a 17/2 that has AF as fast as the 14/2.5 and is not much bigger than the 20/1.7 would be excellent and would probably replace my 20/1.7.
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Well, certainly we all want more-better: Brighter, faster, sharper, smaller and cheaper. And I am right in there with the rest of you.

Still... right now, I pretty much limit my work with the E-PM1 to the Panny 14 and the Oly 45. And, frankly, I could go on with that kit indefinitely. I also have the Panny 20, but use that more often on my G3.

Now, I'll admit that I am tempted to splurge on the new Oly 12... but I find it hard to justify nearly $800 for it when I have the Panny 14, which is only half a stop slower and much smaller. As for the wider FOV offered by the 12, I can usually take a step or two backward while using the 14. But if the price of the Oly 12 ever drops to $500 or less...

It's fun to speculate about new products and do wish lists. But with all the current rumors about new lenses and bodies with more-robust build, higher-quality optics and weather resistance, I think perhaps it's a good idea to sit back and allow the micro four-thirds landscape to reveal itself to us over the next few months.
  14. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I've put my CC away for this very reason, notwithstanding some very enticing holiday bargains on the GH2 and E-PM1. In addition to future m43 releases, Fuji and Canon are set to enter the mirrorless interchangeable lens segment early next year, so lots of excitement ahead.
  15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Absolutely... and it's strongly rumored that Pentax will offer a "serious" (APS-C?) mirrorless camera in 2012 as well.