New EPL-2 owner - Raw queston.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by loglew42, Apr 9, 2011.

1. loglew42

loglew42 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Hello
    I just purchased an E-PL2 last week and I love it. I am also new to RAW files. I did take some RAW+Jpeg photos this week and messed around with the provided processing software.

Here's my question: I need a good workflow for processing. Can anyone suggest a good order to process the image? For example, 1. WB, 2. Saturation....etc.

thanks
    LL

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Greetings and welcome! Congrats on the new camera too!

I do all my RAW processing in Adobe Lightroom 3.3. Assuming I nailed focus, my typical workflow is:

- check exposure
    - check white balance
    - to crop or not

Then depending on what my vision is for the photo, I will also tweak the following parameters generally on the following order:

- clarity
    - contrast
    - whites
    - blacks
    - saturation

If the picture looks noisy and/or soft, I will also apply luminance reduction, and increase sharpening.

I am definitely no pro at RAW processing though. Hopefully some more folks who really know what they are doing will share their workflow.

Feel free to check out my Flickr and you will be able to see the final "look" that I typically try to achieve in my photos, which is generally lots of contrast and deeper colors.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

3. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Crop first

I suggest that you crop first. Otherwise your histogram might be affected by pixels you're not going to use. (This works best in a non-destructive environment like Lightroom.)

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Which software are you using? I useful idea is to follow the layout of the software going left to right and top to bottom.

5. loglew42

loglew42 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    I am using Olympus Viewer 2. It was delivered with the camera.
    LL