1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new epl 1 owner

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by irelach1, Dec 4, 2011.

1. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    hi i have just bought a new epl1 with the standard zoom lens kit . after playing about with it for a few days pictures that i take in the house in low light dont seem to be very good . has anyone got any tips for using this camera thanks chris

2. photobizzz

photobizzz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    The kit zoom is not that great, if you are shooting in low light with it I am guessing you have the ISO set at 800 or higher and therefore your photos will not be that good. I recommend a new lens.

I currently am shooting with an adapted Cosina Voigtlander 28/1.9 Ultron, Leica 50/1.5 Summarit and a native Olympus 17/2.8. The kit lens is ok in bright sunlight where you can shoot at 100 ISO but even then it is just a kit lens and you can't expect to get the quality of photographs you would out of good glass. Just remember the camera can only do so much with the image, it is made by the quality of the glass you attach to it. :)

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

BTW I am shooting with an EPL-1 as well, check out a couple shots I have from it posted here: Zenfolio | Selective Visions Photography | Kuwait July 2011 - July 2012

3. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    photobizz thanks for the quick reply whats your thought on the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm lens from olympus ?

4. photobizzz

photobizzz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
  5. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

The M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm is a great lens for being such a super zoom but it won't help you with your lowlight photography.
    For that you either need a faster lens or use a flash.
    The built in flash will work in a pinch but is not very powerful and won't throw light across a room.

I too have the Epl1 and it is a great little camera especially at these prices nowadays.
    It takes a little learning but it is worth the effort.

6. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    ok thanks for the reply would you recomend this lens to use as a all rounder for taking on holiday and generall use ?

7. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Yes especially if you don't like changing lenses this would be a great solution.

• Like Like x 1
  8. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks ill have a look round for one also is this lens any good in low light ie if im on holiday and i take low light pictures would they be ok

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I haven't used the 14-150 zoom lens either, but my guess is that it will not perform much better at low light than your kit zoom.

Forgive me if this is not the case, but from your question I am going to assume that you do not know a great deal about exposure...to get better low-light performance you need a "fast" lens which means a larger maximum aperture to let in more light. The 14-150 has a max aperture of f/4, so if you compare with a lens like the Panasonic Lumix 20mm it has a max aperture of f/1.7 (=about 2 "f-stops" or 4 times more light).

I don't know how much money you have to play around with, but the 20mm f/1.7 is an excellent all-around lens for the E-PL1. I use mine all the time, and you can see many sample images (including in low-light) in the image thread. It is still auto-focus, but it is not a zoom lens so it forces you to think a bit more before taking the picture.

Finally, the book Understanding Exposure is a great introduction to photography and I highly recommend you check it out at your local library. Good luck!

10. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks for the reply and no i dont know much about exposure only just got into photography but ill have a look at the book as im willing to learn

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It will be the same if not worse as your 14-42mm kit zoom. The only thing a superzoom adds is focal length, and this is achieved as a compromise of image quality and speed (unless it's built huge and heavy).

If you want better photos, get higher quality, faster glass... not a superzoom.

Since you've already noted a concern with quality of low-light photos, you really should look at fast primes for your next upgrade, not a superzoom. If you replace your 14-42mm with the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and Lumix 14mm f/2.5, you will have the same effective focal range but with much faster, higher quality glass. Or even better if you can get the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 as your wide angle prime, but it is quite a bit more expensive (twice the price of the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8).

12. DancingPhotos

DancingPhotos New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2011
    I too struggle with indoor and any type of low-light shots using the kit lens. I've tried nearly every setting and even looked it all up in my e-pl1 dummies book as well :-/

The recommendations of the 20mm f1.7 seem to be the ultimate way to go. That's the next goal aside from other lenses that have been reviewed as better than the kit lens.

Ned your suggestions too are helpful, thanks!

13. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    e-pl1 dummies book were can i get one of these from ?

14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN