1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New EP 1 with a dead shutter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AntiPasto, Oct 25, 2014.

1. AntiPasto

AntiPasto New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2014
    A few months ago I had purchased two EP 1's, one was used (about 2500 for the shutter count), and the other was purchased new in box with the 17mm 2.8. My initial reasoning for purchasing them was to keep one of the bodies and both of the lenses and to sell the other body. I decided against it since I wasn't really finding a market out there for an EP 1 so I gifted it to my dad. At this point I had been using the used one quite frequently but kept the new one in the box (minus the lens of course), so when I began to set up he camera for him to use it I had discovered that it wasn't actually taking any photographs. Every time it would attempt to write an image it would always end up black. I tried to shoot a video clip and it functions perfectly fine in that respect but as soon as I press the shutter and try to review the images they all end up blank.

So far I've tried different lenses and sd cards, both of which had no impact whatsoever, which is why i'm thinking the issue my be shutter related. The shutter count currently reads 259 and the damage count shows up zero so im unsure what exactly the problem might be (my attempts at googling the problem came up with nothing useful) so im at a loss for what to do next. My reasoning for posting this is to see if anyone else has had this sort of problem and how they went about fixing it. This was purchased as a new camera from an electronics recycle shop about 2 months ago via amazon so I might try my luck and see if they can do anything about it but I doubt that would be the case. The only other option I can think is to attempt to go through Olympus and see if they would even recognize a warranty for an unused camera from 2009. I don't really want to go out searching for a replacement, I know the kind of quality this little Pen can produce and it would seem like such a waste of a (nearly) perfectly good camera, so any and all help would be much appreciated.

2. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Almost the same situation here. I keep the power button on for a long time, even when the light is already on. Then take a picture, might work, take some more, quick. Did that almost every time with the first startup. After that no more problems, but if the camera is not used for sometime it might happen again. I always start up keeping the power button long pushed down.
    Luck!

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Set the camera to allow shutter without lens attached, then remove your lens and watch the sensor while you shoot. Should tell you whether the shutter is the culprit.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

4. AntiPasto

AntiPasto New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2014
    I've attempted this trick but it hasn't solved the problem, is it simply holding down the power button for a minute or two long since it turned on and then quickly pressing the shutter or am I missing something?

Yep, the shutter curtain seems to function normally, so possibly a sensor issue due to not being used for so long?

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You get live view though, right? Are you sure the camera is actually writing images to the card? Does the red LED on the lower right flash after you take a photo?

6. AntiPasto

AntiPasto New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2014
    Yep live view works fine and the red led goes off every time I snap a picture. I did load the card into the computer just to make sure it's not writing images at all and sure enough all of them are black, although I do see specs of noise when viewing them at max magnification.

7. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Try the following

First go into the menu system and find and perform a full back to factory re-set

Then again in the menu system find the format card option and format the card in the camera.

Try taking a few pictures

Report back with the results.

8. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Sorry to hear it still not working. Hoping Paul80 method will be fine for you and that you can use your E-pm1 soon . . .

9. AntiPasto

AntiPasto New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2014
    Unfortunately still no luck, and to add to the further frustration apparently my father was able to write an image no problem before I updated it. Now I'm thinking I messed up the update and potentially bricked the camera, but all other functions work just fine (live view functions fine, I can write video perfectly fine to the card, and when I take a photo I get the flashing led saying it's writing the image to the card), so is it possible that somehow the timing was messed up during the update?

Actually I just tested the bulb setting (don't know why I'm just now testing it), and sure enough the shutter stays closed during the entire exposure. So maybe a software issue but I'm still at a complete loss.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe try the upgrade again. It';s still at least partially functioning, maybe enough to try reloading. Assuming, of course, it let's you reload.

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm betting it was the firmware upgrade. There should be a way to roll it back?

12. AntiPasto

AntiPasto New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2014
    Going through standard methods of updating (direct from olympus website and olympus viewer 2) yield the same results. Both won't allow me to update or roll back because I'm using the most current version. Anyone know of a way of completely wiping the camera to factory defaults? I can only manage to reset the settings under the custom reset menu.