1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New em5ii sensor pixel issues? Help.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gilo9652, Jul 14, 2015.

1. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    Hi guys,
    I purchased this em5ii this May from B&H New York.
    I attached here a cropped picture and circled around what seems like a burnt pixels? I notice it when i shoot RAW in the high res mode(but maybe its also in other shooting modes) and it happens OFTEN!

I am using my gear very frequently and can say i am a professional photographer. It really pisses me off.

What do you think i should do? Is it a reason to apply for a replacement? I am currently in Iceland and i fly to the US on Friday for 10 days.

Thanks for the help,
    Gil Gofer.

Attached Files:

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Are these pixels always in the same location? The camera should have a "Pixel mapping" function to "fix" this kind of problem.
    Have no idea how many pixels are enough to ask for a replacement.

3. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    thank you klorenzo. i will check about this pixel mapping. if you know how to get to this option i would appreciate instructions.
    no, its in different places every time.

i will update.

4. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    It is just INSANE!
    I upload here a non-cropped photo i took in the high res mode. The exposure was long like the entire 8" and i had to brighten it in photoshop since it was really dark. I want you guys to DOWNLOAD it yourself and zoom in-i found like 10 or so burnt pixel!

I truly feel its not suppose to be like that and would appreciate experienced photographers here sharing their opinion. As i said i fly to NY for 10 days this Friday and it is an opportunity for me to fix this issue.

Thank you,
    Gil Gofer.

Attached Files:

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Should be in the K menu. The camera must be "cold" (like turn it off, wait a couple of minutes).

But if this appears in random places shouldn't be related to dead pixels (unless there are a lot). Maybe some artifacts related to hi-res mode? Some insects flying around?

The image have been scaled down, so I can only see a couple or big black spots in the middle on the grass. A lot bigger then a single dead pixel.

6. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    It is indeed in random places and there were no flies or any artifacts. It is consistently happening, sometimes more pixels sometimes less.

Would you recommend talking to the store about it?

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The picture is outdoor, maybe the dots (green or blue) you see are the artifacts created by something moving. Does it happen indoor too? With standard res mode too?

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Do you see this EXCLUSIVELY in high-res mode? If so, I wonder if it's some sort of software issue related to the stitching.

If it were a dead pixel issue, I would think that it would be much more productive to try to troubleshoot it using "standard" res RAW images.

9. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Have you tried turning on "Long exposure noise reduction"? Hot pixels are common if this isn't turn on / Auto. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    It happens also indoor and it comes in three colors: red green and blue.

wanglp i will try to do what you suggested later today and come back with an answer.

11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Maybe try to talk to BH, their service is pretty good.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I know from using the hi res mode that unless you have the camera absolutely still, you will get artifacts. I even saw them on a tripod when I did not leave a delay between the shutter press and taking of the image. Even the movement of pressing the shirt was enough to introduce issues.

13. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    If the pixels are in the same place - run pixel mapping on the camera, it'll fix it right up and is normal. My E-M1 had a couple of pixels like this out of the box and pixel mapping fixes it 100%
    If it's different in every photo or shows up after pixel mapping... well that is another problem

For long exposure - it sounds like hot pixels. Make sure noise reduction is ON.

You should test on a single photo without high res or long exposure

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    Thank you guys! I turned on the noise reduction and there is absolutely no hot pixels. But, there is a stronger sound of the shutter just at the end of the exposure. is that normal?

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    AFAIK normally noise reduction should be left to Auto. This means that the camera choose when to use it or not based on the exposure time.
    Noise reduction takes two pictures, one with the shutter open and one closed, I do not know in which order, that could make the shutter sound appear different.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Yes normal. It's taking the dark frame

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The dark frame is always taken last.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Looks like hot pixels to me. Pixel mapping should take care of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    Thanks a lot folks!

Issue solved.

• Like Like x 2
  20. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Normal. If taking high res shots, it's effectively taking 8x8s=64s to give u a long exposure, though the noise reduction is just 8sec(iirc) . If taking a 16mp shot of 64sec, noise reduction will take 64sec or whatever your exposure is. Hope that helps. Cheers!