New EM5 II or GH4 used

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by joelmarineau, Mar 10, 2015.

1. joelmarineau

joelmarineau Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2013
    Bécancour, QC, Canada
    Joel Marineau
    I am looking to come back to m43 format and actually undecided between a new EM5 Mark II with 12-40 and 40-150 f2.8 vs GH4 and 12-35 + 35-100 f2.8.

Had an EM1 in the past and I was not really impresse by videos. GX7 videos were much better.
    Now with new bitrates and frame rates, EM5 II is interesting for video purpose but GH4 is definetely the king with similar stills results (hard to do better with same sensor...)

On the other hand, my camera is mainly for stills and videos of family so I don't necessary need 4K, but it is always a nice to have feature :p

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm no videographer but everyone seems to think that the GH4 is the best u43 video camera. No idea if the new E-M5ii is any better. There seem to be conflicting stories - including this negative write up by Andrew Reid on EOSHD: http://www.eoshd.com/2015/03/olympus-e-m5-mark-ii-love-and-hate-at-first-sight/. Personally, I'd go for the E-M5ii plus 12-35 and 35-100, but I don't do video and I don't care for the GH4 form factor and looks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    For those who think the Andrew Reid article is TLDR, this is what he says:

4. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I've had the EM5 and EM10. Then sold. For the past 9 months I have been using a GH3 with 12-35 and 35-100.
    Apart from a couple of minor niggles I have found it to be a great camera. So happy in fact that GAS has been restricted to
    acquiring a GH4 (for continuous focus improvements) But I would keep the GH3.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have a GH4, and couldn't imagine a better camera except if it would include IBIS. However I don't believe I would compromise in order to get it (the Panasonic menus are better IMO, as are the ergonomics). And as good (or bad) as the EM5II's video may be, it can't touch the GH4's. 4K isn't only for superior video (which can be downscaled to ultra-sharp 1080p), but also for grabbing 8MP still images.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have most of your suggested kits. If you are taking mainly stills and videos of your family, go with the E-M5 mk ii. The video with the IBIS is amazing. If you want to do video with rigs and sliders, the GH4 is the ticket.

7. joelmarineau

May 27, 2013
    Bécancour, QC, Canada
    Joel Marineau
    GH3 was another good options as you can find used body for 6-700$, but the EVF on GH3 is just not there for me. I loved the EM1 viewfinder and want something similar...

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The EVF isn't as terrible as people say it is, depending on how you configure it. I own a GH3 and a GH4, and have my GH3 EVF set up like so:
    • I shoot in 4:3 ratio, which creates black borders on the left/right of the image since the EVF's native aspect ratio is 16:9. This helps move the image out of the corners, which is where the "blurriness" occurs.
    • I set up the display information (ISO, Av, SS, EC) to show below the image, not overlayed.
    With the EVF set up like this, I don't experience any of the blurred corners that people talk about. Having said this, the image in the EVF is smaller than that in the GH4 (which looks ginormous by comparison). Still, the EVF in the GH3 is more than adequate in image size and quality when configured as listed above.

9. joelmarineau

May 27, 2013
    Bécancour, QC, Canada
    Joel Marineau
    humm, this is interesting... I have tried the GH3 at the store and I was not please of the size and blurred corners.
    Would be nice to try your setup...

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yes, it actually makes the EVF a non-issue for me.

Previously I owned 2 G6's, sold one and got a GH4 and loved the ergonomics and weather-proofing (can use my 12-35 and 35-100 in less-than-ideal conditions without much worry). After owning the GH4, using the G6 just wasn't satisfying, but I didn't want to go plop another $1200 on a GH4, so I ended up picking up a GH3. I'd say that the EVF is not worse than the one in the G6 regarding size of the image and detail. It obviously can't compete with the EVF in the GH4 or EM1, but I knew that going in to it.

Having it set up the way I do, I have no problem using the EVF on the GH3, and now have two weather-sealed bodies (one for my 12-35, and one for my 35-100).

11. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Thought I would just say that I have the battery grip attached to my GH3 all the time. I don't mind the extra weight But it's just not comfortable without it. (for me)

12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You must have some big hands! Haha