1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New EM10 - low whirring noise when shutter half pressed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by correos.e, Apr 6, 2014.

1. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi! I just received my em10. Very happy, looks very nice. My 45mm is a little bit tight but nothing to worry about.
    When I turn the camera on, there is a slight buzz (very faint). However, I noticed that when I half press the shutter, it makes a bit more noise, like a very faint fan. Is it the in body stabilization thing? Anyone else notices this? Should I return it?
    Thanks!!

2. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    That would be the IBIS - in body image stabilization

you can turn it off - but it works like magic, better to leave it on

I hear it when it is quiet and I am inside, on my E-M1

outside, I can't hear it.

most likely nothing is wrong, it's just the sound it makes as the sensor is being shifted to counter camera movement...

3. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    wow, thanks.. yes, I was inside and it was dead quiet. It's a wheezing sound, not a whirring sound. Pardon my english.

4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    you have options to keep it on full time, active only during half-press (i.e. just before shot), or full time off

5. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Yes, the IBIS is quite loud when you press the shutter button half way.
    But what's also interesting, that if you record a movie with the IBIS on, it is very quiet.
    Does anyone have an explanation for this?

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Suggest you read the past two years of posts here about the E-M5...then you'll understand!

Before I buy a new camera I read back several months of forum posts so I already know the issues users are asking about, so I don't need to ask the same questions that have been asked many times already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.