New EM10 - low whirring noise when shutter half pressed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by correos.e, Apr 6, 2014.

1. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi! I just received my em10. Very happy, looks very nice. My 45mm is a little bit tight but nothing to worry about.
    When I turn the camera on, there is a slight buzz (very faint). However, I noticed that when I half press the shutter, it makes a bit more noise, like a very faint fan. Is it the in body stabilization thing? Anyone else notices this? Should I return it?
  2. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    That would be the IBIS - in body image stabilization

you can turn it off - but it works like magic, better to leave it on

I hear it when it is quiet and I am inside, on my E-M1

outside, I can't hear it.

most likely nothing is wrong, it's just the sound it makes as the sensor is being shifted to counter camera movement...
  3. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    wow, thanks.. yes, I was inside and it was dead quiet. It's a wheezing sound, not a whirring sound. Pardon my english.
  4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    you have options to keep it on full time, active only during half-press (i.e. just before shot), or full time off
  5. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Yes, the IBIS is quite loud when you press the shutter button half way.
    But what's also interesting, that if you record a movie with the IBIS on, it is very quiet.
    Does anyone have an explanation for this?
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Suggest you read the past two years of posts here about the E-M5...then you'll understand!

Before I buy a new camera I read back several months of forum posts so I already know the issues users are asking about, so I don't need to ask the same questions that have been asked many times already.