New EM10 - low whirring noise when shutter half pressed

correos.e

Mu-43 Regular
Hi! I just received my em10. Very happy, looks very nice. My 45mm is a little bit tight but nothing to worry about.
When I turn the camera on, there is a slight buzz (very faint). However, I noticed that when I half press the shutter, it makes a bit more noise, like a very faint fan. Is it the in body stabilization thing? Anyone else notices this? Should I return it?
Thanks!!

marcr1230

Mu-43 Regular
That would be the IBIS - in body image stabilization

you can turn it off - but it works like magic, better to leave it on

I hear it when it is quiet and I am inside, on my E-M1

outside, I can't hear it.

most likely nothing is wrong, it's just the sound it makes as the sensor is being shifted to counter camera movement...

correos.e

Mu-43 Regular
wow, thanks.. yes, I was inside and it was dead quiet. It's a wheezing sound, not a whirring sound. Pardon my english.

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
you have options to keep it on full time, active only during half-press (i.e. just before shot), or full time off

dombi

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, the IBIS is quite loud when you press the shutter button half way.
But what's also interesting, that if you record a movie with the IBIS on, it is very quiet.
Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Suggest you read the past two years of posts here about the E-M5...then you'll understand!

Before I buy a new camera I read back several months of forum posts so I already know the issues users are asking about, so I don't need to ask the same questions that have been asked many times already.

Top Bottom