New EM1-X mk-2?

Real Name
Walter
Dunno. I think they have too many X's in inventory, for one thing. Now it's priced only $300 more than a 1 III. Dunno what they'd do for an X II. Does OMDS have it in them to develop a II?

What would an EM1X II need to have to make it worth a new model?

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
OMDS officials have stated that they will announced a new camera at the end of 2021 or early 2022. This is the time frame of 3 years since the E-M1X was released. So the common guess is that it will be an E-M1X replacement. Sony just added a stacked BSI 20 MP sensor to its sensor catalog. This sensor has a 120 fps sensor readout and every pixel can do phase detection AF. Might also get a new image processor to be able to handle all the data coming off the sensor. Only guesses at this point.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I hope they have the development staff, or they are in trouble.

A new sensor with better high ISO and Dynamic Range, to be better for night and gym sports, using the e-shutter.

My EM1-mk2 is marginal for night and gym sports. I have to use the mechanical shutter, to reduce the high ISO noise. But that reduces my max frame rate. That 19fps with the e-shutter spoiled me.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
That 19fps with the e-shutter spoiled me.
I would hate to do all the editing on 19 fps. My wife was a former film shooter for a Daily Paper and AP. She has continued to shoot very conservatively and has taught me a little of peak action. She knew about deadlines for her photos and was miserly on her shots. She even helped with the development a lot of the time. Now with WI-FI the deadlines are even shorter.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would hate to do all the editing on 19 fps. My wife was a former film shooter for a Daily Paper and AP. She has continued to shoot very conservatively and has taught me a little of peak action. She knew about deadlines for her photos and was miserly on her shots. She even helped with the development a lot of the time. Now with WI-FI the deadlines are even shorter.

I know what you mean. I used to shoot sports on film also. A football game was two 36x rolls.

At 19fps I will often shoot over 1,000 frames at a game, and sometimes over 2,000.
At 6fps on my Nikon I am usually down at less than 400 frames.

Actually my frame rate depends on the sport and camera.
I shoot tennis, baseball and softball, at max rate 19fps, because of the speed that racket and bat move.
Football, soccer, lacrosse, at 6fps on the Nikon.
Basketball, volleyball, at either 6fps (Nikon) or 10fps (Olympus).
Golf I shot at 19 and 60fps, again because of the speed of the moving club.
I only went out once, so I had only that one outing to get my shots, hence the 60fps. THAT was a culling chore.​

At 6fps on my Nikon, I can easily fire off single frames, and would often do that.
Not so on the Olympus at 19fps. I rarely can get a single frame, usually the min is 3.

Editing IS time consuming, but the first cull pass usually knocks out a LOT.
I delete most/all the shots from a bad play, or a missed ball, or missed basket, or me pressing the shutter too late, etc.
My target is to cull down to less than 200, before editing, and further culling. With final upload less than 80.

What is a real editing pain is something like graduation, where I shot about 700 frames, all single shot.
The only culling are from bad exposure, missed focus, and deciding between two similar shots of the same grad.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
At 19fps I will often shoot over 1,000 frames at a game, and sometimes over 2,000.
I am afraid that if shot 2,000 shots at a sporting event, I would be blind trying to trim them down since at the minimum, I would look at each frame. The download, import would take a long time even on my faster computer. I generally shoot on a single frame and don't go for bursts. I remember the state championship game where a Canon shooter next to me was always shooting bursts and the shutter was clicking as fast as it could. I asked him about the editing and he told me he took the cards when done to his assistant who edited them for transmission by wi-fi to the newspaper. He laughed and told me he did not care how many he shot or were ditched since he often did not see the chosen edits because of time pressures.
With the state of US newspapers now---not doing printing locally but at regional centers---I fail to see why the rush since the "news" is at least a day old before anyone gets to see it. We try to post ours to the school's football website within hours of game-time since the kids and family look forward to fast pic. Some of my friends are news sports photographers and they are now having to double as general news photographers due to downsizing. I think that the newspapers will need to be better on the timely internet presence or they will soon lose to the TV stations. Sad to see our papers die-off from large companies buying them and then gutting them for any profit that might still be present.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Back to the original topic--I would love to have an EM1X or even an iii but I have places I want to go, things I want to see in what is left of my time, and getting one of them would put a crimp in those plans. In addition, my 911 SC needs a tuneup which probably will be about that price. :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The photographer's assistant was on a computer at the stadium.

I'm my own assistant.

So pictures get posted to the Athletic web site when I finish editing them, whenever that may be.

Unfortunately this year was BAD. With the compressed sport season, so many games, so close together, that at a few points, I had 10 games in my edit backlog. My agreement with the AD was, ONE game per sport and the senior presentation. Anything more gets edited and uploaded when I can, after graduation. Now that graduation is done, I can go back and do the last senior game. Then over the summer, it will be the various other games that I shot.

Graduation was on Friday, and today I just finished editing and uploading the last of the pictures.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Back to the original topic--I would love to have an EM1X or even an iii but I have places I want to go, things I want to see in what is left of my time, and getting one of them would put a crimp in those plans. In addition, my 911 SC needs a tuneup which probably will be about that price. :)

I would also love the EM1X, but not the weight.
The weight would put me back up at dSLR weight again.
So it is very tempting, and not, at the same time.

Now that we are retired, and when travel opens up again, we would like to travel to a few places, while we are still mobile.
My parent's travels came to a screeching halt, after my mom had a stroke.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
With the deep $1,200 discount on the EM1X down to $1,800, that seems to hint at clearing inventory for a mk2.
Or do they just have too many EM1X in inventory?
Since the last year there are numerous camera related deals during (pre)holiday season from every camera brand. This might be part of it. So far the 1X is €2000 with €100 cashback here. I am stil suprised that there is no FW update which would add some extras from the 1iii (Starry Sky AF or better eye and face AF algorithm) and could draw some attention.

Real Name
Phill
It could very well related to a number of reasons, they might have too much inventory laying around, they might have adhusted the price to stay competetive or to make the system more interesting to new users. I mean the E-M1X has always been a controversial camera among Micro Four Thirds users, as it is fairly large and heavy and thus was one of those products quite some people thought would be against the compact, light and convenient mantra of the system. However it still seems to be very popular not only with pros, but also hobbyists who are into wildlife and sports and pretty much all of them seem to praise the great handling and ergonomics.

Back to 2021 OM Digital has hinted a literally "Wow!"-camera which should ve revealed this year, since it's quite obviously the E-P7, there's most likely another camera in the works. Quite some people speculated the E-M1X Mark II, since it's too early for a new E-M1.

Personally though I wouldn't read too much into the discounts, one should also remember the camera is two and a half years old by now and the competition doesn't stay idle.

Real Name
Henrik
Perhaps off topic, but I really don't understand the narrow view many take on the (lack of) size advantage of M4/3 by looking only at the bodies. Yes, the E-M1X or G9 with battery grip are large camera bodies, but the lenses are comparatively small/light meaning the total package is still smaller.

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Seems to me the 911 takes a terrible photograph, Mel, so I'd sell that and grab a new EM1X (i or ii) and have some cash left over to do the other stuff you want :D

(I'll get my coat)

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
One either "gets" the purpose of the X, or not. I have a Pana GX9, EM1.2 and an X. They serve different situations for me. Each body is as much appreciated as the other. My lenses range in size from the 12-32mm to the 300 Pro with 2x converter. Certain lenses make more sense with certain bodies. The tiniest and the biggest m43 gear is all available to consider and choose from. No decision of what to purchase is right or wrong if it fits the needs of the purchaser.

Real Name
Henrik
One either "gets" the purpose of the X, or not. I have a Pana GX9, EM1.2 and an X. They serve different situations for me. Each body is as much appreciated as the other. My lenses range in size from the 12-32mm to the 300 Pro with 2x converter. Certain lenses make more sense with certain bodies. The tiniest and the biggest m43 gear is all available to consider and choose from. No decision of what to purchase is right or wrong if it fits the needs of the purchaser.
If only everyone was this openminded... :)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
but the lenses are comparatively small/light meaning the total package is still smaller.
Yep, I know I have brought it up a number of times to people who try and make the argument that whatever body or lens somehow violates the m43 promise of being smaller. But there are people who still want to insist something like the 300mm PRO lens is wayyyyyyy to big and is against the holy m43 religion and is pure blasphemy but then won't acknowledge that if you were to shoot on a full frame rig you would need a 600mm lens to get the same field of view shots. It ruins their whine.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Yep, I know I have brought it up a number of times to people who try and make the argument that whatever body or lens somehow violates the m43 promise of being smaller. But there are people who still want to insist something like the 300mm PRO lens is wayyyyyyy to big and is against the holy m43 religion and is pure blasphemy but then won't acknowledge that if you were to shoot on a full frame rig you would need a 600mm lens to get the same field of view shots. It ruins their whine.
Butbut.. Canon RF 600mm f/11 is super small!!1 You lost. ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom