New EM-5 user has a quick question on usage

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by iso640, Dec 19, 2013.

1. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I spent some time this weekend shooting with the EM-5... and I love the camera but came across a head scratching moment with the camera. I've been shooting with a Panny GX1 (with the Oly 17mm 2.8) for close to a year now and can get some incredible macro-like shots.

Example (Panny GX1 with Oly 17mm f/2.8):

I tried doing the same with the Oly and I just couldn't get it to focus in close. I was trying to focus an some glass, to throw the trees beyond out of focus and it would only try and focus on the trees. I don't know what settings I'm using for focus, the camera didn't come with a manual and I just slapped a lens on after playing with some settings. Is this camera capable of doing that type of shot? If so, what setting should I be looking at (since there seem to be so many).

Other than that little foible, I'm totally loving this camera. I've even purchased some non-native lenses to go along with it. I'm wanting to make this my main shooter but if I can't get that detail shot, I'm gonna have to gasp, take the GX1 too.

Anyway, TIA for any help.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The AF works on contrast detection - just like the GF1. If you're photographing glass and there is strong contrast on the things beyond, then it'll lock on that. You need to find something on the glass of high enough contrast. You might need to use the magnified focus point if the thing you want to focus on is small.
  3. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Paul, it only now dawned on me that I could have gone into manual focus to get that shot! That's what I did with my D5100. *Smacks self in head repeatedly*

But it's good to know the AF uses contrast detection going forward when I use AF.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You will have to learn how to move the green focus box around on the screen. That's where the camera will focus. It tends to have a mind of its own, so you often need to reset its location.

1) Pressing the left arrow usually brings it up and then the other arrows will move it, Classic way of doing it.

2) If the touch screen is enabled (see Menu K), you can set up the camera to focus where you touch the screen, Look for the icon with the finger/box on the left side of the screen. You can toggle it three times to (a) turn this feature off, (b) focus only, and (c) focus and shoot.

The size of the green focus box can be changed too, for more accurate focus placement. For now, you can download a (free) PDF of the manual from Olympus. Google "Download Olympus EM5 Manual" should get you to the Olympus support page.
    • Like Like x 1