1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New EM-5 mk ii firmware soon?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MRM, Jul 22, 2015.

1. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-e-m5ii-firmware-coming-within-days/

If this is true then hi res shots could finally be usable for landscapes on a tripod. I have thought that they would improve the time it takes to make a hi res shot and have been waiting for a firmware update. It would be great for pictures with a lot of foliage.​

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I saw this earlier. If true this could be very interesting.

3. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Even if it can be made in 1/10th of a second that would allow me to take landscapes that dont have moving water. If 1/80th that would open up even more. I doubt that it would be 1/80th as I don't know if the em5ii has that good of a buffer. 40 mp landscapes with a small camera with very accurate color would be great. Any serious landscape work should use a tripod imo. I take a lot without a tripod but you always sacrifice some sharpness handheld.

4. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    What would it need to be to be reasonably hand-holdable? Is that even feasible? If the total time to take 8 shots is less than the shutter speed that would produce blur, doesn't that mean you could get a handheld high res shot?

5. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    The problem is that normal had hold rules don't apply for the hi res mode. Since the micro movements needed are smaller then a pixel it makes the shot less tolerant to shake. Same thing happens when you increase pixel density on a sensor but I would think this would be even more sensitive. I wouldn't know what you need to handhold this mode but my guess would be 4 or more times the focal length. Also ibs doesn't work during this. I don't think we will see handhold ability until the em1 mk ii with a possible global shutter.

6. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    What's a global shutter?

7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    That sounds awesome! I"m glad we are getting updates regularly. Whats the chances they update the video so we can shoot 60fps in All intra? We currently just have 24 and 30 fps.

8. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I would hope the em5 ii gets better video in the future but I wouldn't expect that until the em1 gets better video and it's rumored that they havnt been able to update the video due to a 2 year agreement with Panasonic. Hopefully that will mean September.this is just my guess/hope however since I don't have any inside knowledge unfortunately.

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I think the video is great! I would just love to have 60fps at the higher bitrate.

10. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I want simple stuff, like being able to set one dial to shutter speed and the other to ISO.
    This would be really useful for legacy glass.
    It's lame that the choices for the dials are limited the way they are.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I want the ISO scale electronically blocked from going direct to 25,600 from Auto. The 'easy-dial' should only run from Auto to LOW to 200, 250, 320, etc etc up to 25,600, then back again. In fact, I would like a second button press to be involved in getting it off Auto, e.g. press and hold OK while rotating dial off Auto.

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The statement on that link is so vague and rubbishy, that it's better to ignore it, surely?

13. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    My guess would be that we see some kind of firmware improvement for the hi res shot at some point regardless of this rumor. i have had trouble with it on tripods outside due to movement of the wind and just want it fast enough to be able to take a good landscape as that is the only thing i need the MP for large prints. All of my other photos are fine with 16 MP.

14. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Maybe the firmware can also help improve the stitching algorithm. Sometimes it's hit or miss, but when it misses I only notice it when viewing 1:1. When I resize for my 27" monitor at 2560x1440, the stitching is not noticeable at all. The clarity/sharpness though downsampling from a 64mp raw vs just a 16mp is very noticeable though. If Olympus can improve the high-res mode in any way shape or form I will be impressed. It's a unique feature indeed.

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I bet they had to rush the HiRes software code (algorithms) to make it to the camera release and now that they've had the time to properly optimize the code, they've managed to speed up the overall process quite a bit.

16. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
  17. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    In case this rumor is true, that's great news, as I find the actual Hi-Res mode a little useless for landscape because of image stitching artifacts on moving foliage.

18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Essentially, the entire sensor is read all at once. Currently, the sensors are read lines at a time. This causes the jello effect in taking video as well as distortion in still images of fast moving subjects on electronic shutter mode.

Reading the sensor all at once removes those above issues and would be faster. Rumor sites have shown some Olympus patents documents that report Olympus has a method of doing the global shutter. Rumors are also running about that the patented global shutter will be in the new Olympus EM1 Mk II.

19. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Got this email from Olympus:

00_headline.

02_d2_em5mii.

The E-M5 Mark II is the all around workhorse of the OM-D series, and Feature Upgrade 2.0 brings even more brilliance to both still and video shooting.

Feature Update 2.0 is coming November 2015.
    03_btn.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm confused. 8 shots at 1/10 s would take 8/10 of a second and not 1/80 of a second. I wonder which (1/10 each or 1/80 total) is true.