New EM-5 Firmware v.2 - Any Problems, Complaints or Reservations?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jnewell, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    (specifically not looking for any comments on Oly's firmware update process - thanks!)

I have been reading all the posts on the new firmware. It seems that other than getting used to the new small focus box and setting it up correctly, no one has run into any problems with the new firmware? I have had a couple of instances over the years where I was an early adopter (early installer) of firmware updates that turned out to be a little buggy and thought I'd ask before I go ahead and install v.2. Thanks for any feedback! :smile:

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    No problems here at all either.
    You do need to target the spot carefully in low light I find as it can hunt if you aim at low contrast area (near an eye maybe instead of on the eye). Previously the larger square would have probably caught it.

Otherwise it's all good.

M

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    No problems

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    great so far. So much easier to get and keep that little focus box.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    No problem either ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    Works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'll join the crowd - update works fine and was very welcome!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Yup, works great. Not a single issue thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    I was hoping it would improve my pictures, but not much luck... I still suck! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    No problems from here. I think the usual 1 week wait before committing is a good rule of thumb but I jumped on this really quickly because I wanted to try the smaller focus boxes.

I noticed this too and started a thread about it. It is more accurate when it locks but it may be less forgiving.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks all - I figured any issues would have surfaced quickly, but wanted to make sure. I appreciate all the answers. :thumbup:

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes - I had expected that would be the case. The risk with the larger square was that although focus lock was fast and accurate, focus point *selection* was not always certain, so there is a trade-off. I'd rather have more control over the AF, though. :2thumbs:

14. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I installed it the second it came out (thanks to the awesome and alert members on this board!) and I've had no problems at all with it! :)

EDIT: Yes, you have to be more aware of having something with enough contrast in the little AF box than with the big box (to allow the camera to lock on), but that was to be expected. If you're keeping that in mind, it's fine (btw, this isn't a limitation of the firmware or the camera, it's merely how all cameras work), it's just more apparent on our cameras now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Completely true. And not a problem for those of us who are attentive users. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. trwtrw

trwtrw Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    With the update do we have the ability to switch between the small and large focus boxes?

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Yes you can pick whether or not you'd like small or regular size focus boxes.

18. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since I mostly use manual focus I misunderstood the small boxes ... they only are used in AF. MF zoom stuff remains exactly the same as it was (is).

19. Dad3*3

Dad3*3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    PA
    No problem either. I always get a little nervous when doing firmware updates but so far so good.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's all good for me too. If you were using the Olympus Viewer 3 software, they had updated that to Version 1.2 & had to follow quickly with 1.21 because of a few issues, so I can understand your hesitation (for the E-M5 update), but it appears to be fine & useful for me (I did skip 1.7 because it was pointless to me).