New editor In Beta from ACDSee.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is currently called Gemstone, and is in beta test mode. It has full raw development, a multi-document Interface (MDI), and is a fully layered editor. I've never heard of an MDI before, so I'm not 100% certain of its usefulness for most people, but here is an ACDSee produced video explaining it. It seems to be aimed as competition to Affinity, though I can't swear to it. I'm really pleased how ACDSee is changing itself from a sleepy 'me too' software publisher, to one with some real creative chops.

Multi-Document Interface explanation

Gemstone Beta Download

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Cross Posted From DPR

It is still very much a work in progress but shows great promise I encourage you to download and try it out.

Gemstone Download Page

I'm still not sure I need an MDI, though I can see some value in it for high volume photographers. but as a low volume photographer, who doesn't mind going slow, I doubt I'd use MDI very much.

In a way, it is the mirror image of ACDSee Photo Studio Home (Formerly Standard) in that "Home" is the DAM without the advanced Raw and Bit mapped editing tools, but Gemstone is the Raw and Bit mapped editing tools without the DAM. Clearly it is aimed at those users who use a different front end than the ACDSee DAM. I'm not sure an ACDSee Ultimate user would find Gemstone very attractive. An ACDSee Pro user would probably be better served by just upgrading to Ultimate.

The raw development is pretty much like the standard ACDSee raw development tool, which is VERY good, I think it's the best there is. Certainly better than Affinity Photo's raw dev.

The biggest problem that I see is the lack of the ability to change "Personas". Once you are done with a raw file, you have to save it as a non raw format such as jpg or tif and open it as a jpg or tiff. It feels like 2 separate programs sharing the same front end. It needs the tab format that ACDSee Photo Studio products have. Maybe ACDSee Systems sees the MDI as the answer to this. Even so, I'd prefer to finish editing in one session as much as possible.

The file browser/handler is not the same basic Microsoft module that everyone else uses. It is enhanced enough to make you see the value of a true front-end product and want to find one! It actually shows a thumbnail of the file! In my opinion, that alone is worth the price of admission in a standalone editor!

2021-07-07_8-01-33.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View: original size

If you are considering a move away from Photoshop, it is worth looking at, PLUS with your comments to the ACDSee Users Forum, you actually have a chance to help tailor it to your liking.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I've never heard of an MDI before, so I'm not 100% certain of its usefulness for most people, but here is an ACDSee produced video explaining it. It seems to be aimed as competition to Affinity, though I can't swear to it.
Probably most of the programs you use are MDIs - it allows you to open more than one document at a time, usually with a tabbed interface. SDI (Single) is pretty antiquated, although some popular apps like Irfanview (and apparently ACDSee up till now) still use it. It's better to have it, for sure. For image editing, if you want to say clone from one image to another, you pretty much need it.

Everyone seems to be aiming at Affinity (and Topaz) nowadays, as Affinity aims at Adobe. That subscription idea really helped drive innovation! Thanks, Adobe!! ;)

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Probably most of the programs you use are MDIs - it allows you to open more than one document at a time, usually with a tabbed interface. SDI (Single) is pretty antiquated, although some popular apps like Irfanview (and apparently ACDSee up till now) still use it. It's better to have it, for sure. For image editing, if you want to say clone from one image to another, you pretty much need it.

Everyone seems to be aiming at Affinity (and Topaz) nowadays, as Affinity aims at Adobe. That subscription idea really helped drive innovation! Thanks, Adobe!! ;)
From the video ACDSee offers on Youtube, I get the impression that this MDI is a bit more than a tabbed environment. Instead, it appears that the multiple open documents can interact with each other in a way that allows for incorporating them into a single project.

I'm still not sure how useful this would be to most photographers, but in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, it might open new avenues to explore.

I do think though, that if ACDSee wants a direct competitor to Affinity Photo, it needs to borrow a few ideas from Serif. I think it needs a Focus stacking module (and its cousin HDR).

I also think it needs to simplify its approach to creating a project. It's pretty confusing, you (Appear to, at least) need to define the completed project before you start working. I suspect it has something to do with the potential MDI relationships the software assumes you will be doing.

For people who are just exploring what they might be able to do with a given photo, this is counter intuitive. ACDSee might be better off making MDI an opt-in sort of thing, if they can. I see a LOT support requests in the beginning of its life as a commercial product.

Last edited:

sbm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Certainly better than Affinity Photo's raw dev.
That's interesting.

I'm willing to concede that I may just be more used to Affinity Photo because of the many more hours I've spent in it (I mostly use ACDsee Studio for importing and culling). But I suspect it may just be that different development environments suit different folks more than others.

I'm fairly certain that in either (any?) editor, I'm best served by determining my most commonly used settings and saving those as presets to use as a starting point (every image is a little different, but they also all need a lot of the same basic adjustments) and going from there.

I intend to give Gemstone a try.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom