1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-PM2 Owner: Tips & Suggestions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HaViet, Mar 20, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Hi everyone, so I got in on the $199 deal today for the EPM2 and 14-42mm kit and I am very excited. Already got the shipping confirmation.

This is my first foray into a somewhat 'expert' camera from my perspective. I am coming from a smartphone and a P&S Sony H20 camera. So, the EPM2 would be the most advance camera I've ever owned.

I asked several questions in other threads and got some great suggestions regarding the 'one for all lense' and some great book recommendations on photography.

However, I create this thread to ask for basic setup/settings for the E-PM2.

So what are the settings or initial set up I need to perform when I get the camera in order to get the best out of the box picture from the EPM2?

I will probably try to shoot mainly in iAUTO first until I get a chance to do some reading, then I can start playing with the manual and more advanced modes. I do understand that I just need to spend lots of time playing with it and reading on photography to get quality photos, but some initial set ups would be a major help.

Thanks much!

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Turn warm colors off...not sure which menu setting it is. I don't have access to my camera right now otherwise I'd pin point where that is at.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Shoot in P mode. iAuto takes away to much control. I like to use a single AF point, which I usually leave in the middle and recompose after focusing. Be sure to activate the super control panel which calls up all of the most useful controls on the touchscreen when you hit the OK button.

4. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Great deal!

iAUTO is a good start. Then try all different kind of Art modes, they are so cool. I particular like PopArt & Dramatic. Once you are familiar with the camera, start shoot in P mode. Then A mode. I've pretty much never shot in M mode.

The Oly's menu is quite complicated at the first time, but just take your time & dig into in. The manual is your friend :smile: Once you are more familiar with the menu, turn on Super Control Panel. It's your best friend :2thumbs:

Enjoy!

5. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Many thanks guys

1) Turn off warm colors
    2) Active power control panel
    3) Shoot in P mode

Anything else? Just like to get a good start out of the gate.

6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Turn SCP on!!

& like many have said, turn Warm Colors off.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Some person over at DPR suggested I used these settings

-natural color mode

-sharpness : -1

-contrast: -1

-WB fine tuning: A:0, G+1

-RGB: -1

-gradation: normal

-NR: low

8. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Some great advice on here already. The super control panel is a really fast way to change lots of settings (use the dial as well as the direction keys for the fastest changes on it). For something new: learn to use the touchscreen to select focus point. The touch screen for selecting focus point is great, since otherwise you're scrolling through the points (slow) or letting the camera pick the point (and how often does the camera choose the wrong thing to focus on?). The touch screen is fast and accurate. It works for focus tracking as well, you touch something, and it will follow that point (works well for my 20 month old son, who's always moving),

9. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    This is great. Thanks. Looks like I am getting the cam today. I will test it out tomorrow night at birthday party.

Any tips for indoor, night time shooting? I will be using the kit lens. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Set max ISO to 3200 then set to ISO auto.

11. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

I guess this forces the camera to never use ISO greater than 3200?

• Like Like x 1
  12. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Very good price !!! :)

13. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Thanks. I got just got it delivered. I am quite impressed. This is a tiny camera, but the built is very solid. And it feels very sturdy, with some weight on it, after attaching the lens.

I see an EM10 in my future as an upgrade, in the next two years or so when it drops in price ;)

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I forgot this one. Set the anti-shock to 1/8 second. This will minimize some of the shutter shock blurring that the IBIS can't deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks guys.

I just went through the camera settings and got all the previously mentioned set up done. I'll add anti-shock setup.

For night time and indoor shooting, would you recommend using the 'Nighttime Scene', or stick with 'P' mode?

I am waiting for my 32GB Sony Class 10 card to arrive tomorrow so can't take any pic as of right now.

Again, thanks so much for the responses. It has been very helpful. :thumbup:

16. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Btw, I've just been playing with the camera, without the SD card and just shooting blanks.

It keep shooting at 3200 ISO, even though it's at night but my room is very bright. I have 12 recessed lights in my room.

Is it because of the settings, or my room is just not bright enough?

17. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Yes. IMO, above 3200 is quite noisy and unusable. At that point, more light is needed.

I believe is just not bright enough with the kit lens. Try use the attached flash to help lid up the object that you are trying to take.

Have fun!

18. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I agree with almost all of the suggestions...but..

You should jump to Aperture Mode right away. Make sure the dial is set to adjust Aperture and you are good to go. (Set your Fn1 button to Aperture Preview until you get a hang of your lenses)
    You can prob get away with ISO max at 5000 to give you a little more room...
    Use AF w. MF assist,
    Set JPEG to super fine
    I personally think Vivid with Sat either -1 or -2 looks pretty realistic to my eyes as more true to life (careful with the Reds)

I'm sure I missed something...btw I have now setup 4 of these over the last 3 months for friends/family due to great deal...

19. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Set you screen to natural instead of vivid. Go to the menu were you set the lcd white balance and brightness and press info.

20. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT

Thanks, could you please expand on why you prefer Aperture mode? What advantages does it have over P mode?