1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New E-PL6 or used GM1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, Apr 25, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    They seem to be about the same price though there are some new GM1 kits out of Japan and Taiwan that would actually be new GM1 bodies (or bodies lens kits for just $100 more).

Pros and Cons E-PL6 (in no particular order)
    • Same battery as my E-M10
    • Prefer the Olympus interface
    • Tilt screen
    • More physical control points
    • Larger
    • Older
    Pros and Cons GM1 (in no particular order)
    • Smaller
    • Newer
    • WiFi
    • built in flash
    • Part of the point of this second body is size
    Not sure if the image quality is really any different. Overall handling I would think should favor the E-PL6 while there is no question about the size benefit. I was fine with the output from the GX1 I had, but not the handling. At the time it was my only m4/3 body and not just the always on me option. I now have the E-M10 for that.

I did pick up an RX100, but there are some little things that I'm just not thrilled with, one big one being the AF. It's fine for a P&S (good in fact for the class). But it's not m4/3 fast either. And after using m4/3 for a while the zoom by wire...... Well I have the 45-175 and that zoom by wire is still light years ahead.

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    It depends what you need the second camera for, for just a back up camera or if you shooting something with two different focal lengths so you can have a lens on each camera without having to swap lenses. I would choose the EPL6 to go with your EM10, because it will have the same user interface, battery etc.
    If you want the smallest and lightest m43 camera that you can take anywhere all the time. the GM1 is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Definitely more the take anywhere all the time. And that's the main reason.

But it will surely see time as something with a different focal length. I can see the 9mm fisheye BCL or Panasonic 12-32 (probably the primary lens) when I have something else on the E-M10.

4. phlk

phlk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2014
    London UK
    For me the GM1 is possibly the best back up camera for M43 although not convinced of it as the best sole camera unless travel or weight is key to you. Its weaknesses are less about results more getting there. (i) the controls are small and fiddly (ii) the screen is good but fixed and won't fully replace a viewfinder for me. For the size these are minor gripes and I know the new model has attended to both

The GM1 is a mean little camera and if you have any M43 lenses or are thinking of adding primes its great with them too. My light weight travel kit is the GM1 Olympus 17 and 45mm. Having said that if speed isn't an issue the kit lens performs well. Heres a link to a few of my GM1 shots http://bit.ly/1QtpHDp and below a GM1 shot with the kit lens I took on my way home a few night back. Phil

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The GM1 has an electronic first curtain shutter, something the PL6 does not have. I was getting shutter shock problems all the time with my PM2 and kicking the ISO wayyy up to compensate. The GM1 has none of these problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think it is important to be realistic about size. Even with the thinnest pancake, the Gm1 is going to be 50mm (2") thick as a combo. That's not a pants pocket camera. I get that the GM1 is significantly smaller, I just don't see how it will be taken anymore places since it still needs a jacket pocket or a small bag. Going with the E-PL6 kills the viewfinder bump and eyecup , but otherwise it is nearly the same size as the E-m10..

You might be just as well off finding a pancake solution and small pouch for the E-M10.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There are also belt/strap poaches that will easily hold GM1+12-32, unlike EM10.
    And people bring jackets or small bags to many places anyway - e.g. to hold a snack and water bottle.
    Nowadays, pants pocket camera is the the smartphone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I still look at my images and then look at the tiny GM1 and wonder how on earth such a diddy camera can produce such great IQ!!!!

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    There's no mention of the GM5 in the discussion, ok is slightly larger than the GM1 but it does have an EVF which is a bonus. It's the sort of camera you can take more or less anywhere. Battery life isn't brilliant, but I carry 2 spare batteries and can get a full day's worth of shooting.

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've had both and I'm starting warm up to the GM5. The most significant improvement for day-to-day use is that it's much less fiddly thanks to the extra physical buttons and dual-mode dial. Its overall increase in size is negligible, the EVF sticking out can be a problem for pockets, however. The tiny EVF is a nice to have IMO, it's not really a great selling point for me. If you're used to a decent EVF like the one in the EM-10 (never mind the awesome ones on the E-M5 Mk2 and E-M1), you will be disappointed.

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Agreed, I think the EVF is more or less a back up, just in case ambient lighting dictates.
    With the 15/f1.7 attached, the GM5 combo comes very close to being the perfect set up, for me at least.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If you care to donate the extra $200 I would be more than happy to just get the GM5.:2thumbs: But the limit is in the $300 range. The only reason I've considered GM1 kits is I already have the 12-32. So I could sell one of them to cover the difference.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    My first m4/3 camera was the E-PM1 with the kit lens. It was fine as a jacket / cargo shorts pocket camera. Now I have the Panasonic 12-32 which is even smaller. This is more a grab when I head out in the car than put in my pocket camera, so a smaller pouch might work.

But this will also be a point & shoot for my wife to use. So I could just keep the Sony and get a smaller bag for the E-M10. Certainly an option.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have a small Crumpler Haven pouch that I carry in a generic draw string bag. That holds my E-M10 and 2-3 lens plus accessories and I can always hold more in the draw string bag if needed (very nondescript of what's inside). And it has external pockets for water bottles and other small items.

But yes I'm thinking small neoprene pouch size.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    E-PL6 would get my vote. Mainly for having a shared sensor, batteries, and interface with the E-M10. Plus you get the flip LCD.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I never notice any issues with shutter shock on my old E-PM1. Did you on your E-PM2?