1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-PL5 forgets time and date

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Josef V, May 29, 2013.

1. Josef V

Josef V New to Mu-43

May 29, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I just received an E-PL5 to use as a back-up / second body for my E-M5 and really like it a lot. Looking forward to getting the larger grip that I ordered separately. Trouble is, every time I swap the battery, the camera forgets the date and time and I have to set it again.

I called Olympus and spoke to someone (immediately, no hold which is amazing) but he wasn't a lot of help. He mumbled something about a virus (?) and that the camera would have to be sent in for repair. I asked both him and the supervisor if they would pay the shipping costs for such a repair, but they both said it was not possible.

So.. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there some sort of trick to it, or is there an internal battery that isn't functioning properly? I'm still hoping that a firmware update or something else might fix it without me dealing with returning the camera or shipping it to Olympus.

This especially bothers me because I purchased a refurbished E-PL1 a year or so ago that suffered from the same sort of problem. I unloaded it cheap to someone who didn't mind dealing with it and I don't want to have to do that again.

Thank you for your help!

- Joseph Vavak

josephvavak.com

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I had that prob with my EPM1. They'll replace the circuit board. All will be well.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

3. jon_tangg

jon_tangg New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013
    Singapore
    I had this issue with my EP3 purchased 2 months back. Send to the Oly service centre twice for the replacement of the circuit board.
    I understand from the technician that the batt got to be in the cam for at least 45min (to sufficiently charge the internal batt??) for the date and time to stay. After the above the date/time still resets, it is time to head to the service centre.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ugh - this problem still exists?? I have it on my E-PL3, and just didn't bother to send it in. It's annoying, but not enough to lose some weeks away from the camera.

And no, keeping the battery in for at least 45 minutes doesn't work. I have it in the camera for days at a time, and still when I change batteries the issue comes up.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PM1/E-PL3 generation was hit by this problem the worst. It is a well documented problem and will certainly be repaired easily by the service center but it's pretty amazing that this problem still exists! I guess it makes it through QC since it doesn't happen immediately, only after a bit of use. Very odd that they haven't been able to track down the cause yet.

I still have one camera left with this problem, but I can't afford any downtime on any of my bodies so I just deal with it. Of course, I've been dealing with it for so long now that the warranty's expired anyways. It just means I have to press a button every time I start up the camera to bypass it. Or just start shooting. That works too. ;)

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    One annoying thing that keeps me from just shooting and bypass it is that I use the date to organize my pictures (via Lightroom). I tried to bypass it a few times, and I have a good number of pictures bunched up in the 1/1/20XX (I forgot the default year) folder :mad:

7. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Same problem with my E-PM1. Just sent it in for repair. I'll let you know how long they take with it. Sent it last Friday, they received it on the 28th according to the tracking system. You pay for shipping there, they pay for shipping back.

8. Josef V

Josef V New to Mu-43

May 29, 2013
    Knock on wood, but this might actually be the case.

I headed out on the road today and had a battery in the E-PL5 all day i n my camera bag. Just took the battery out now, swapped in another one.. and it still knows the time and date.

If this whole 45 minute thing is actually true, it would have been nice had the guy at Olympus had told me about it. I'll post again if this is just a coincidence and it keeps erroring.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

- Joseph Vavak

www.josephvavak.com

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And for future questions,
    I strongly suggest everyone leave a charged battery in for at least 24hrs. :smile:

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Have you considered that maybe the camera regards your imagery as timeless?

11. michaelac

michaelac New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2012
    lost of time & date when removing the battery is common oly, my EPL3 had this problem have to change pcb