New E-PL3 issue - random shutdown after photo

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marek, Feb 1, 2012.

1. marek

marek New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2012
    Picked up an E-PL3 to complement a DSLR - the usual justifications apply - small but high quality photos. Have to say I'm enamoured so far with it. Tis a really tidy package.

But unfortunately my first post on here is going to be a question whether anyone else has come across a problem I've encountered. A search on google or here didn't come up with any matches. My E-PL3 will shut down randomly directly after taking a photo - lens returns to infinity (per settings in the menu), LCD turns off, power light remains active until the photo is written, then full shutdown.

Some additional info:
    - I've demonstrated the same problem with both the 14-42mm IIR kit lens and 17mm lenses. So it doesn't seem to be the lens.
    - Problem occurs at random intervals, but usually after the second photo
    - Repowering up after is not always successful, sometimes the LCD turns on with no icons.
    - Sleep settings are in minutes so it's not that either.
    - Olympus service has suggested cycling the battery to zero and recharging it to see if that makes the problem go away (will try tonight).
    - Have not tested with a different SD card yet (again, tonight).
    - Only tested on one battery, as I don't have a spare to verify.
    - And no I am not simultaneously depressing the power button ;)

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this - or worked out how to eliminate it without sending the camera in. It's a week old so having it in service wouldn't be the best way to start...

2. meekthabeast

meekthabeast Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    When i first purchased my e-pl3 it did this right out of the box. I sent it back to B&H, my replacement does not do it and have not had an issue since. Sounds like yours may be defective, mine did it with all 4 of my different lenses, it is a body related issue.
  3. marek

marek New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

Changing the battery and SD card didn't help. Went back to service today. Hopefully they get a replacement repair to me quickly.
  4. Nicky

Nicky New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2012
    Same problem

I have encountered the same problem. :mad:
    In contact with Olympus and the retailer so have to wait what they say about this.

5. astern

astern New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    I am experiencing the same problem...

Has there been any solution other than getting a replacement?