New E-PL3 issue - random shutdown after photo

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marek, Feb 1, 2012.

1. marek

marek New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2012
    Picked up an E-PL3 to complement a DSLR - the usual justifications apply - small but high quality photos. Have to say I'm enamoured so far with it. Tis a really tidy package.

But unfortunately my first post on here is going to be a question whether anyone else has come across a problem I've encountered. A search on google or here didn't come up with any matches. My E-PL3 will shut down randomly directly after taking a photo - lens returns to infinity (per settings in the menu), LCD turns off, power light remains active until the photo is written, then full shutdown.

Some additional info:
    - I've demonstrated the same problem with both the 14-42mm IIR kit lens and 17mm lenses. So it doesn't seem to be the lens.
    - Problem occurs at random intervals, but usually after the second photo
    - Repowering up after is not always successful, sometimes the LCD turns on with no icons.
    - Sleep settings are in minutes so it's not that either.
    - Olympus service has suggested cycling the battery to zero and recharging it to see if that makes the problem go away (will try tonight).
    - Have not tested with a different SD card yet (again, tonight).
    - Only tested on one battery, as I don't have a spare to verify.
    - And no I am not simultaneously depressing the power button ;)

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this - or worked out how to eliminate it without sending the camera in. It's a week old so having it in service wouldn't be the best way to start...

thanks,
    marek.

2. meekthabeast

meekthabeast Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    When i first purchased my e-pl3 it did this right out of the box. I sent it back to B&H, my replacement does not do it and have not had an issue since. Sounds like yours may be defective, mine did it with all 4 of my different lenses, it is a body related issue.

3. marek

marek New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

Changing the battery and SD card didn't help. Went back to service today. Hopefully they get a replacement repair to me quickly.

4. Nicky

Nicky New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2012
    Same problem

I have encountered the same problem. :mad:
    In contact with Olympus and the retailer so have to wait what they say about this.

Gr.,
    Nicky

5. astern

astern New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I am experiencing the same problem...

Has there been any solution other than getting a replacement?

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.