New E-PL2 on its way...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Red Leader, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Red Leader

Red Leader Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2010
    Well, the wife gave the OK and I made the plunge. Ordered a silver E-PL2 and it should be here by this next Thursday. This is going to be the first new camera since a 3.2 megapixel kodak easyshare I got for Christmas about 5 years ago. Needless to say a giant step up!

I was one of those that was a major fence-sitter since hearing about all the autofocus issues with the previous Pens...but after hearing about the new kit lens and some positive reviews about the new speed of the AF on the E-PL2 setup, it pushed me over the edge:biggrin:

I'll report back when I get it with a major emphasis of my overall impressions on the AF and overall speed of the camera.

Thanks all for your help in making this decision!
  2. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Congrats, do report how the epl-2 behaves.

But honestly the AF of the early pens were resolved last year with the firmware upgrade. The new msc lenses just gives you a faster AF lens. Kinda like the canon USM lenses vs their DC motor lenses. The none MSC are not bad AF lenses once they updated the body firmware, but it is always nice to have a faster AF lens.
  3. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK

As a E-PL2 user i can honestly say that it is a joy to use. I really love mine and for me it's already a classic along with my E-P1.
  4. Red Leader

Red Leader Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2010
    Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Should be here next week - definitely feeling good about the decision:smile:
  5. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Well, it's almost a shame you'll never know how much faster the E-PL2 kit lens is with regards to focus time until lock. It is impressively fast for contrast detect auto-focus, not to mention quiet.

Single point focus in normal light finds focus almost as fast as certain cameras with the older method of phase detect auto focus (which of course we don't have on these cams, but that's why they are smaller).

I'm not saying the previous kit lenses were bad. I'm saying this new kit lens is that much better.
  6. Red Leader

Red Leader Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2010

I received the camera this morning!

First impressions - WOW...this camera rocks! And...WOW, the menu system is really complex. I look forward to learning it all.

Futher reading disclaimer: I am a complete newbie to digital photography.

I'm still scratching my head with real basic things like -

Is there a way to turn off live view?

It there a way to disable instant review so that you can just take fast shots one after the other?

Is there a way to save settings? It seems like I've had to go in and re-select the single point autofocus about 5 times now...

Is there a quick way to adjust ISO settings in manual?

It almost seems like there is a live-view dimmer feature that keeps the LV dim during standby, accurate brightness during focus, then dim again after picture taken (seems like a good way to save battery power) - but then the pictures come out dark. Is this an actual feature that is somehow useful or is it just a weird 'brightness' that happens during autofocus? If so, whats the point?

When I get about 2-4 inches away from an object, it has trouble autofocusing (understandable) but then if it DOES autofocus correctly, the green light comes on, but I can't take the picture (full press does nothing). Normal?

Apart from my lack of comprehension in simple matters (haha) I am loving it.

My biggest worry, like others, was the autofocus. I don't have a lot to compare to, but just my own impression is that it is absolutely nothing to worry about with the E-PL2.

Glad I joined the Olympus crew!!! I'll try and get some photos up in the E-PL2 thread later on.