"New" E-PL2 - How to check firmware and also which upgrade for VF-4?

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

My new/used E-PL2 just arrived, and it looks like I need to upgrade firmware in order for it to support/work with the VF-4 that I have:

- How do I check the current frmware version in the camera now?

- I'm confused about the versions on this link:

E-PL2 &gt Software Downloads

It looks like there are 3 different versions:

Downloads Available:
View attachment 459671 E-PL2 firmware update version 1.2
This update adds support for the optional VF-3 electronic viewfinder.
View attachment 459671 E-PL2/E-PL3/E-PM1 firmware update from v1.3 to 1.4
- Support for VF-4 electronic viewfinder. *Automatic display switching by the VF-4 eye sensor is not supported.

View attachment 459671 Firmware update version 1.3 (Windows)
Operation when using SDXC cards larger than 48 GB has been stabilized.

So do I need to program each of the 3 into the camera individually?

Also, when I program firmware like that, does that also change firmware in the lens?

So what about if I have several lenses. Do I have to do the upgrade multiple times, once for each lens?

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
BTW, it looks like the place I bought the E-PL2 from forgot to include the USB cable. Is the USB cable "special", like use a special connector?

I've emailed them about it, but I'm assuming that they'll just say it wasn't supposed to be included :(...

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you press the menu button, and open the wrench icon, the last selection on the screen will display the camera's firmware version.

When updating firmware using the Olympus updater software, they will put in the latest release, which will have all current changes thet were in the interim packages. Only once did I see Olympus deliver me a two step update, and that on my EM5 where they had to back out a previous version that had a bug.

Yes, that's not your typical USB cable. About $5 on ebay and amazon. Make sure it lists EPL2-7, EM5 etc,

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
If you press the menu button, and open the wrench icon, the last selection on the screen will display the camera's firmware version.

When updating firmware using the Olympus updater software, they will put in the latest release, which will have all current changes thet were in the interim packages. Only once did I see Olympus deliver me a two step update, and that on my EM5 where they had to back out a previous version that had a bug.

Yes, that's not your typical USB cable. About $5 on ebay and amazon. Make sure it lists EPL2-7, EM5 etc,

That shows:

Camera: 1.3
Lens: 1.1

I just ordered this cable from Amazon. Is it ok?

Amazon.com: USB CB-USB5 CB-USB6 Data / Photo Transfer Cable Cord Lead Wire for Olympus Camera: Computers & Accessories

Thanks!

Jim

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
Your cable looks right.

For firmware updates, I let the Olympus updater tell me what the connected camera and lens need.

Congratulations on your new camera. The E-PL2 was my first Micro Four Thirds body and it did a great job for me.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
You'll need version 1.4 of the firmware for the camera; upgrade should be possible in one go. As indicated, you need the desktop software (Olympus Digital Camera Updater) to do that - it'll take care of the details and also tells you if your lens has an update available. If you follow the instructions on the Olympus website, you should be fine.

Just be consciencious and patient when updating - follow the instructions on screen thoroughly and don't fret if it takes a while. The process never bricked any of my cameras even though some updates took a long time.

M.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
firmware 1.4 to enable VF4 support. but EPL2 doesn't have the processing power to push live view or maybe even playback onto VF4 at full resolution (2.36M dots), it will be downgraded to 1.44M dots.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

Thanks all! Now I have to wait for the USB cable.

And, keep in mind that this E-PL2 was kind of a cheap way to "test the waters" of mirrorless, for me. If it works out well, I'll probably "upgrade" at some point.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

For the record: I got email from Adorama saying that a USB cable wasn't included in a used E-PL2, so I got this cable from Amazon:

Amazon.com: USB CB-USB5 CB-USB6 Data / Photo Transfer Cable Cord Lead Wire for Olympus Camera: Computers & Accessories

It arrived today, and using the Updater, I was able to successfully upgrade my E-PL2 firmware to V1.4, and now my VF-4 works, and I have to say that I am REALLY happy to have a viewfinder back again :)!!!

Also, since I got the cable, I found that if I selected "Storage" on the camera when it powered on with the USB cable, I could then access the files on the camera from my PC. Cool :)!!

So all is good now on this.

Thanks all!

Jim

Latest threads

Top Bottom