new e-pl1 user running around boston & a canon lens question

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by coreyb, Apr 19, 2010.

1. coreyb

coreyb Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2010
    cambridge
    Hey there folks! I've been a long-time dslr and film user but have been travelling more and have found that a dslr plus a bunch of zooms and primes was just too much to carry around... so last year i bought an lx3. It's a great little camera but i felt like i lost too much control so i've returned to the interchangeable lens world with an olympus e-pl1. I picked it up on saturday from a friend with a shop and after just a few days of playing around with it i'm in love. It was like i fell back in love with photography all over again. Even though the kit lens is a bit poorly built it takes pretty stunning photos - i was quite surprised as i'm usually a hater of kit lenses. I may upgrade someday but it seems like the options are somewhat limited right now. I'm waiting for my friend to get more Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lenses in his shop so i can pick one up... i know that will be on my camera 90% of the time and cannot wait for it. Anyways, i'm glad i found this place, hope to contribute a bit, and look forward to learning more about what is possible with this little beast.

One thing i'm struggling with... i still have some of my canon lenses collecting dust - 50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/1.8, 70-300 IS. I'm thinking of selling the 50 and 28 but keeping the 70-300 and getting an adapter. I know i'll lose aperture control and autofocus but am curious to see if it could work well with the e-pl1. Anyone ever tried strapping one of those (or an equiv telephoto zoom) onto their e-pl1? I'm thinking maybe i should just sell that and the kit lens and buy the new 14-150. I think 300mm is about all the reach i really need out of a lens. Perhaps the 140-600 range would be fun with the canon though? I'd almost certainly have to use a tripod and even though i have a really nice one i hate bringing it out. In case you haven't noticed... i'm lazy and hate carrying much which is why i've found my new e-pl1. Haha. Let me know what you think!

• Like Like x 4
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Corey. That's a fun camera you have.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Coreyb, glad you found your way here and congrats on the E-PL1! I see you've already found your way into the Adapted Lenses forum which is great because I think that's where you'll get the kind of feedback you're after regarding that Canon lens.

4. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  5. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Hey Corey....welcome and aloha.

Are all your Canon lenses EOS or are a few FD? FD conversions are easy...just get an adapter. EOS lenses are a bit more problematic. You have to push the DOF preview button down as you unmount the lens from the body. The aperture will stay at whatever it was when it was uncoupled. You will be stuck at the f-stop you have selected.

To me, that kind of fiddling around kinda cripples the fun....

Enjoy the site....have fun......shoot plenny.

R