New E-PL1 User and Flickering Video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by pixelchix, Jun 29, 2010.

1. pixelchix

pixelchix New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum (and to the m 4/3 format in general), so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I recently bought an Oly E-PL1 with 14-42mm, and love it, but I have a problem (at least I think i do) with the video.
    Whenever I'm shooting video and use the zoom, I get a distinct clicking and flickering. At first I thought it was because the camera was trying to adjust for changing exposure values as I zoomed in and out, but changing to manual exposure did nothing to remedy this. When I leave the lens at one focal length, there is no flickering, and the video looks fine.
    So, is this normal?
    Thanks!
    Heather

2. jujube

jujube New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2010
    hi,
    I have not noticed this issue...what is the card class you're using? Is it Class 6 SDHC and above?

cheers,
    jujube

3. weezyfeezy

weezyfeezy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    I had this issue with some videos I took recently. I will have to go back and see if it occurred on videos where I was using zoom. I'm using an 8GB SDHC Class 6 card, so it shouldn't be that. Would like to know if this is a fixable issue, or something we should bring up to Oly support.

4. pixelchix

pixelchix New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2010
    thanks for the replies. i am using a class 6 card, so i don't think it would be that. and when i tried another e-pl1 at the store i bought the camera from, it did the same thing, so it must be something the cameras do when zooming? i called oly support and although nice enough, i didn't seem to get a clear answer from the tech person i talked to. oh well, not a big enough deal for me to worry too much about, i just wanted to make sure i didnt' have a dud while i could still return my camera for another one.

5. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the opening changes as you zoom since, start a video and look at the blades as you zoom.