1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New E-PL1 User and Flickering Video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by pixelchix, Jun 29, 2010.

1. pixelchix

pixelchix New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum (and to the m 4/3 format in general), so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I recently bought an Oly E-PL1 with 14-42mm, and love it, but I have a problem (at least I think i do) with the video.
    Whenever I'm shooting video and use the zoom, I get a distinct clicking and flickering. At first I thought it was because the camera was trying to adjust for changing exposure values as I zoomed in and out, but changing to manual exposure did nothing to remedy this. When I leave the lens at one focal length, there is no flickering, and the video looks fine.
    So, is this normal?
    Thanks!
    Heather

2. jujube

jujube New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2010
    hi,
    I have not noticed this issue...what is the card class you're using? Is it Class 6 SDHC and above?

cheers,
    jujube

3. weezyfeezy

weezyfeezy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    I had this issue with some videos I took recently. I will have to go back and see if it occurred on videos where I was using zoom. I'm using an 8GB SDHC Class 6 card, so it shouldn't be that. Would like to know if this is a fixable issue, or something we should bring up to Oly support.

4. pixelchix

pixelchix New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2010
    thanks for the replies. i am using a class 6 card, so i don't think it would be that. and when i tried another e-pl1 at the store i bought the camera from, it did the same thing, so it must be something the cameras do when zooming? i called oly support and although nice enough, i didn't seem to get a clear answer from the tech person i talked to. oh well, not a big enough deal for me to worry too much about, i just wanted to make sure i didnt' have a dud while i could still return my camera for another one.

5. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the opening changes as you zoom since, start a video and look at the blades as you zoom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.