1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-PL1 owner, first time posting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vietcam, Mar 10, 2010.

1. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    After having so much hard time deciding between the GF1 and EP2, I decided to give the E-PL1 a try. I do have 2 small kids so I was worried about the PEN famous "slow" auto-focus. The E-PL1 auto-focus with the 14-42mm kit lens indeed a bit slow but not a deal breaker. I did some unscientific testing at the 36-42mm and was very disappointed to find out that Olympus has not corrected the IBIS problem causing blurriness at this range.

Now using the panasonic 14-45mm lens on the E-PL1 is a different experience. The auto-focus is almost as fast as the GF1. This lens is much sharper than the olympus 14-42mm all the way to 45mm. The zoom ring on the 14-45mm feels much better than the olympus. In door, I use the panasonic 20mm and the auto-focus is fast enough for my kids. I have never own a SLR, so I don't miss the dial. The four way control is easy enough for me. Over all, I am very happy with the EPL1. Such a good upgrade from my LX3. I will keep this for a couple years until the "perfect" micro 4/3 cam comes out. I only have this camera for a week so I still have not taking it out of the house yet. Here are a couple of pics of my kids and backyard from the 14-45mm and 20mm. I did spent 2 weeks with my friend's GF1 so if anyone wants to know more about the diffences between the two please let me know. Welcome all C&C. Thank you for looking guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Used in camera "toy like" filter

[​IMG]
    E-PL1 IBIS works very well. I was able to take this picture at 1/5s.

• Like Like x 5
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to mu-43.com, vietcam and thanks so much for posting your first impressions of this camera. You photographs of your children are charming! They're so sweet...that it's difficult for me to switch my focus to those azaleas, though that second picture is especially nice.

Hope you'll become involved in many discussions here, vietcam.:smile:

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Love it. Great use of that filter :2thumbs:.

Welcome to our forum!

4. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Vietcam, and welcome. Lovely pictures to kick off with! How easy do you find it to change aperture/shutter speeds? Presumably this is done by pressing buttons - how fiddly is it? :smile:

6. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    hello, it's not hard at all. When you are in A mode just press up on the four way control and then press up and down to change aperture, left and right to change EV. I'm sure the dials are better but for me the button are very easy as well

• Like Like x 2
  7. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hey Vietcam and welcome to the group. Looking forward to your future photos.

Hello from sunny arizona.

Pete

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome vietcam, you look like you've already mastered your new cam... that little E-PL1 certainly punches above it's weight!

I hope that you will feel at home here :friends:

Cheers

Brian

9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to this mu43 community !
    Great shots, thanks for sharing these with us.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

10. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Thank you for all the warm welcomings guys. I am feeling like home already.

• Like Like x 2