New E-PL1-Help!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Don Baldwinson, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Don Baldwinson

Don Baldwinson Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    I unpacked it, charged the battery (full charge confirmed by charger and camera). Turn it on and everything functions fine. Take a shot and then no button works. Turn the camera off, then on again and everything functions until I fire the shutter again.
    There is no image on the card when I put it into the card reader.
    I tried further charging of the battery, changing cards, changing lenses but the problem remains.
    I have checked right through the manual but can't find anything I may have forgotten.
    I'm not a complete novice, owning 2 other 4/3 cameras, but never experienced anything like this.
    Anyone got any ideas before I send the camera back?
    Thanks,
    Don

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Don, what happens if you take the SDHC card out and take a shot? does it still lock up?

I'm wondering whether it's a fault with the card / card interface...

Cheers

Brian

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Don

Have you formatted the card? That's the first thing that I do with every card before use and the second thing I do after downloading photos. Also, have you updated the firmware, as there's a new version available? Also, what dial setting are you using?

Cheers

Ray

4. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Brian, just tried that and it makes no difference. One is a new card, the other one works fine on another camera. I formatted both on the Pen before using them.
    Cheers,
    Don

5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    That's really strange, I would update the firmware, and if that doesn't fix the problem - sorry to say it sounds like a return.

Cheers

Brian

6. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Ray,
    Yes, both cards.
    The Firmware is updated.
    I'm not sure what you mean by Dial setting. If you mean Mode, I have tried them all.
    I doubt the cards are the problem. It seems that firing the shutter turns off all the functions, except for the blue "power" light.
    Looks like a trip to the agent.
    Cheers,
    Don

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Sounds like a faulty camera to me Don. You have tried all the obvious things.

8. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks Bill, I will do it first thing tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Don

9. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, sorry to hear that Don, good luck with the replacement!

Cheers

Brian

10. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Resolution

I described the problems to the agent and they came back and said the problem is a manufacturing fault and it will be exchanged.
    Damn! The first thing I did when I opened it was stick on a Dom screen protector!
    The other thing was, the box contained 3 full manuals....German, Spanish and French which probably weighed more than the hardware! Guess what wasn't included?
    Are Olympus collapsing under pressure?
    Cheers,
    Don

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Don, I'm so sorry that this all happened. Perhaps you can get the camera store to throw in a screen protector as a good customer service move?

Please let us know when your new camera arrives. I'm sure it's going to be fine but I know what a big let down it is when something so looked forward to doesn't work out.

12. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks very much. Actually it just happens sometimes and of all my Oly equipment this is the first real problem.
    Cheers,
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  13. slackmachine

slackmachine Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Although you already have this taken care of with a replacement, I was wondering if it could be that the camera was on the test picture mode? I found that when browsing through the E-PL1 menus and I found this option. It seems like it could have been a possible cause of the problem.

14. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestion. But I don't think so, because Test Picture Mode displays the image on the screen, and this was not happening. I fully described the symptoms to my agent who contacted Olympus direct, and they must have been sure it was a terminal problem.
    Cheers,
    Don

15. alevan

alevan New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your problem, I was looking forward to your feedback. I am still experimenting with my new EPL-1 but I love the IQ that I am seeing from this camera.

16. Don Baldwinson

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks. I only manged to set the date and look at the screen, but looking promising. I waved it about on my 150mm F2 enough to feel it won't be impossible. Probably a wrist strap for security with my hand around the lens when carrying.
    [​IMG]
    I'm glad to hear you love the IQ, which is the main reason I'm getting one instead of the E-P2.
    Cheers,
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  17. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    WoW! Thats an impressive combo. The white body with the large 150 lens. Jealous of the EVF too.
    I can dream.

18. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    OMG, my all time dream lens! I need to get my act together and make some more money! :rofl:

Cheers Don

Brian