1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new E-PL1 arrives but is it defective?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FaradayCage, Apr 22, 2010.

1. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Just received the unit, but I'm alarmed at the noisy character of the IBIS, especially when shot at 1/8 second or longer exposure. It sort of sounds like something is rolling around in there. I can't tell if it functions properly yet without more shooting, but the noise was alarming. Does anyone else find the IBIS to be noisy out of the box? Also, I'm surprised at the greasy sound of the AF. Having said that, the AF definitely works. Is this just the greater noise of a larger body compared to a P&S or do you think anything is amiss? (The LCD screen isn't bad at all, given all the grief it has gotten.) If it has to go back I need to figure it out pronto before a vacation in a few weeks.

thanks all

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    My E-PL1 is quiet ...
    F lock / Beep !! / Focus motor hunt / Shutter !! / slight noise in there as shutter fires but only below 1/4S

I have IBIS set to 1

Its generally quiet mostly shutter noise

hth

Cheers

3. FaradayCage

Apr 22, 2010
    Hmm... I wonder if it is just being used to point and shoot cameras. It makes more noise certainly than the Panny ZS3, a tiny camera. The IBIS rattle is only noticeable above about 1/4 sec or longer. However, just shooting around the house in the evening, it seems to focus normally and the IBIS seems to work. Tried a series without IBIS and with, in same positions, handheld and leaning against wall and also standing. The IBIS did reduce the shake. I'm mainly concerned that if it is louder than normal that might mean something is ready to malfunction. The warranty is obviously good, but a swift return would be advisable if there were a real problem. It certainly gets warm quickly compared to a P&S. The manual focus on the kit lens is smooth as glass.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Faraday, it sounds quite normal... much quieter than a DSLR, a little noisier than a P&S. Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home :friends:

Cheers

Brian

5. FaradayCage

Apr 22, 2010
    Thank you for the reassurance, Brian. I had no idea a real DSLR was so noisy. My main concern was the odd noise the IBIS makes when the shutter is open a long time, as in longer than 1/4 sec. However I've noticed that when shooting at speeds this long, it's clearly better to just turn off the IBIS altogether and find a better stable platform. It does seem to work well, on the other hand, when around speeds as slow as 1/10 sec. And this thing can actually produce decent infrared pictures with an 89B filter! I used to use one on my Contax G2 with HIE and EIR film. Just posted some 89B IR shots in my gallery, on April 24.

Anyone figured out how to force the camera to shoot 3 exposures, autobracketed, with one push of the shutter on the self-timer?

6. FaradayCage

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm pretty sure at this point that the E-PL1 is just noisier than a P&S, and is performing normally. This little camera really gets under one's skin!