New E-P5 and E-PL6 info

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by sabesh, Apr 23, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not much info!

The price is ridiculous! $1000 for just a body?

Why do we need a new E-PL? the 5 hasn't been out that long. I wish they would slow down on the body upgrades and work on new lenses instead.
  2. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    +1. It's a bit silly really.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The E-P5 will need more than a new sensor to make it an attractive upgrade for me. I have zero use for WIFI in a camera (waste of body space) - I'd rather see focus peaking and the better IBIS. I suspect that I'll go for a used EM-5 rather than the E-P5.
  4. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Agree! Can't blame them though since that is where they make the most money the fastest.
  5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    It's fine by me as long as it drives down the E-PL5 price. ;)
  6. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Sigh. "Man bites dog — film at 6:00."
  7. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I agree with your comments, Bob, but I'll wait for the official Oly announcement before I start considering upgrades to my ep3. Unfortunately, the em5 isn't a candidate. Though it's technically brilliant, I sold mine after a few months because of handling and appearance. It's disappointing that Oly hasn't addressed the enthusiast segment since introducing the em5 over a year ago.
  8. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    With the $1000 body only price, maybe it does have an integrated EVF despite what rumors are saying
  9. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I wonder if they'll continue with this wide rear screen nonsense...
  10. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    I think based on patterns of what I seem over the years, people will moan about the price initially but when it comes out people will still buy them regardless. (Whatever the specs, built in VF, new sensor etc.) I remember people moaning about the ep3 not having the newer 16mp sensor too. Actually that was kind of disappointing back then.
  11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The persistent rumors of a $1,000 price point don't seem plausible to me. That places the new PEN as a direct competitor to the OM-D, which doesn't seem likely. I would be more likely to think the E-P5 will slot in around US$800. Of course, that's based on nothing more than my own gut.

The image from the Olympus China site seems to imply that the camera will bear a very close resemblance to the E-P3, and would seem to all but rule out an EVF unless it's a tiny one a la the LF1.

Something similar to the WiFi control and monitoring features offered on the GH3 would be interesting to me, although I doubt it would be something I'd use often and it's not a feature that would make me rush to the camera store with my credit card.

As Bob noted earlier, I assume the biggest benefit I will personally see from this announcement will be if it depresses the value of the OM-D on the used market.
  12. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    For the E-P5 to cost more than an E-M5 is a tough sell. I would imagine a re-engineered E-P3 with an optical hybrid rangefinder, E-M5 sensor or better along with its IBIS would be wonderful... BUT for $1,000 US... eeek.

The DSLR world had the body upgrade frenzy happen for years with its enthusiast and semi-pro lines but even then users emphasized investing in better glass. The non-DSLR world went the same route but it "felt" like they did it in mach speed. Not just :43: but all non-dslr systems. If we as consumers continue to buy new bodies every time new technology is introduced, manufacturers will continue to follow the fast pace upgrades no matter how insignificant the improvements are.
  13. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I felt the E-P3 was by far a better handling, better looking camera than the E-M5. I just couldn't convince myself to get a camera with a 5-year-old sensor, so I eventually went with the E-PL5.

No regrets, but the PEN format with the new sensor (and hopefully 5-axis IBIS) sounds appealing to me. I've already started acquiring lenses, so $1,000 for body only isn't as much of an obstacle as it would be to a new M4/3 user.

Seems like a good upgrade to me, depending on the details.

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Last Fall the local Olympus Rep told me of their plan to bring out the E-P5 early this year in conjunction with shutting down the E-P3 production line. The market segment that it is targeting was exactly the same as the E-P3 (PEN Styling with maximum controls) and it was to have the same MSRP. He said it would have the current sensor (like we saw in the E-PL5 and E-PM2) but felt the 5-Axis IBIS and built in OVF format was going to stay limited to the OM-D line. The next OM-D will replicate that winning combination of features and styling but have the rumored sensor enhancements (CAF improvements?).
  15. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    I don't mind the rear screen, but I don't think it should be the only option for composition. Never did, never will. (While limited in some ambient lighting situations, the flexing/rotating screen is highly beneficial for composing high and low angle shots that would otherwise be quite difficult with any other viewer, including the VF-types. So I can live with that)

But there are other things about what we're being told that I really find irrelevant and not worth paying for the "upgrade" that the new cameras will be sold to us as being.
  16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm just going to throw a wrench into the mix. I wonder if it'll have an optical VF, built-in flash, and better performing 2-axis IBIS.
  17. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    When I heard that the P5 wouldn't have a built in EVF, I was faced with a hard choice, when upgrading from a P2.

Either go Fuji, and buy again some lenses, or try the E-M5. I am glad that I did the latter: it is smaller than the P2 with VF-2, but is twice the former in terms of performance.

Oly must have in its genes the SLR defeating Leica in the 1950s therefore it is not keen in reviving the RF look.

Fuji instead has always aimed at being the Japanese competitor of Leica, with a similar shape.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if Leica responds, as rumoured, with an entry level mirrorless.

At the moment however for me the E-M5 has superseded the E-Px with no regrets.
  18. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    For all we know, they just got the intern to make a silhouette of the E-P3, so that doesn't necessarily tell us anything. Surely they won't just add in the new sensor, keep everything else the same and bump up the price. That would be suicidal in this competitive market.