New E-P2 out for the first time

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian S, May 20, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    The camera arrived Mondey, and we've had solid rain. So some time to learn the "extensive Menu" and read the book.

The neighbors seemed to take notice, and wanted to see the new camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stayed interested long enough for me to bump the ISO up to 1600, compose and shoot a few shots.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Obligatory find out what the closest focus is shot...

[​IMG]

Blue Test.

[​IMG]

Blue is a difficult color for Silicon Based Sensors.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Bokeh Shot, and manual focus. That EVF-2 is like an SLR viewfinder. It's amazing. No lag, and clear. As good as most fresnel screens on an SLR.

[​IMG]

I want bigger bokeh circles...

M-Mount adapter on the way. I'm thinking F-Mount adapter is next.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The Menu system is "extensive".

I would like to see Olympus have a tiered Menu system, one that a beginner could navigate. Basically, leave just the basic functions visible and selectable. Then an Intermediate Mode, and the "full-blown menu" structure that is the default.

My wife used to debug the compilers on the Cray XMP Supercomputer. She can use a Tek RSA-6000 realtime spectrum analyzer. The Menu system at present is more than she wants to deal with. I have the camera preset, just as she would want it. A basic menu structure would be good for "snapshooters" that want a good camera with long battery life, but not all the bells and whistles. I think it would aid in the acceptance of the format if a tiered menu structure was implemented. Hey- it's just software.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    Go into shooting mode.....press the OK button...there's your simple menu....

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Congratulations upon your new E-P2 and I think that blue looks great, by the way.:biggrin:

You may find Brian Mosely's Quick Start Videos to be very helpful, I know I did. The first one is a "sticky" and then one leads to the next, and so on.

It did take me some time to get used to the menu - and the controls, but the E-P2 was my first "real" digital camera. The levels of control can be a bit daunting at first, but I suspect you'll have them down quickly.

Great beginning Brian!:thumbup:

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    BB,
    I didn't know you sold the Pen2.....hmmmm

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Her name's Abby Scuito ? :biggrin: Abby Sciuto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never mind. Seriously, hat off to her; she must be (have been ?) at the very forefront of parallel computing. We owe her very much each time we use a fancy multicore processor today.

9. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Nina started with the Second Generation Supercomputers, when they retired the First Generation Parallel/Vector Supercomputer that I used, the "Texas Instruments ASC". It was concurrent with the CDC Star-100. After that, Attached Array Processors, Intel Hypercube, etc. Those computers were fun. Optimized code ran 400x faster than "untouched" code. I used it for image processing, circa 1980.

On the Menu System: I really mean a "Lockout" and subset of the menus that can be chosen, until the higher tier is selected. A lot of software allows "Beginner" and "Advanced" modes.

The Shooting Mode "OK" menu has too much on it, and can be overwhelming for a lot of people. A Subset would be adequate. It would also be helpful to have some explanatory words come up with the icon based menu that pops up with the "Shooting Mode- OK". Otherwise, you need to memorize some of the icons. The "Menu" button driven menu with some of its explanations is easier to understand. "Hovering" over a selection will bring up a word-explanation after a second or two in the "menu-button" selections, but not the icon based selection. It would be nice for someone that does not use the camera on a frequent basis.

10. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    Hi Brian, which lens are you using? The pictures are amazing!

11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    great stuff there , and the anecdote of your wifes supercomputer debugging backround and her finding the olympus menu model less that perfect and unweildy is priceless , thanks !

12. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    So far, the 14~42 lens that came with the kit is the only one I have for the camera. An M-Mount adapter is in the mail. I'm thinking the Canon 35/2 LTM lens is going to be the lens of choice for myself. The AF Zoom for my wife.

13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    From your last post, it seems you have found what no mortal man has yet to find, a way to share the camera with The Wife!
    Tell us your secret please....

14. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Don't touch at my superpanel ! It's perfect as it is. :wink:

Or maybe give an option to have a less complete panel for newbies, with helpers and whatever, but don't dumb down what's useful for advanced users. It's exactly Microsoft mistake compared to Apple regarding ergonomics. Microsoft dumbs down interfaces, removing shortcuts (or moving them around, which is also infuriating) and productivity tools from the hands of power users. They gain casual users support and also a poor reputation among pros. Apple, OTOH, has always managed to keep both beginners and power users happy. Beginners have the mouse to fiddle with, while power users have got well known shortcuts and easy to create scripts.

Add whatever you wish, but don't break what works. I like to have so many parameters at the flick of switch because photo needs the quickest access possible to get that once in a lifetime shot.

15. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Some great images there! Hope you enjoy your E-P2 as much as I'm enjoying my E-P1