New E-P1 user...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mauve, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Thought I should say hello...

I was set on buying an E-P1 since I first saw one on sale this summer.

When the GF-1 was announced, I was kind of torn appart. I own a lx2, and I like this Panasonic no-nonsense handling and no-compromise camera. If the GF-1 handling and menu system was only a bit behind, it would make an incredibly straightforward tool, or so I thought. But Olympus will always have a sweet spot in my heart, as I learned the ropes of photography with an OM-1, and later on used a pen ees-2, an XA, and a trip 35. I would have loved to own a SP, but desperate to find one, I ended cutting my teeth on a canonet 17 QL.

Finally, the time came last week. I had the incredible luck to snatch a silver E-P1 kit + 14-42 for the announced price of the E-PL1 - way under the best bargain I could hope for a GF-1, so I dived. I don't regret it a bit. I since have had the occasion to lay my hands on the GF-1 - every bit as good as reviewed, indeed, but there's one area where the e-p1 shines : black an white photography. The integrated colour filters, and the output filters make for the best OOC b&w jpgs I've ever seen.

As I happen to shoot about 80% b&w, it was a wonderful surprise to me. Every other shortcoming pales in comparison. And I was surprised this point was seldom (if ever) reviewed.

In fact, I'm so hooked I ordered a lens today.

After careful review of options, and much pixel peeping over comparable shots made by kindered souls who happen to own both Olympus 17mm and Panasonic 20mm, the Panasonic came out a winner, so it's the one.

My heart is slightly bleeding - zuikos used to be so sharp you could cut your eyeballs on fresh prints in the darkroom. But competition is good, and I eagerly wait for a wider fantastic prime from them.

Your forums have already been incredibly helpful in setting up my Pen the way I feel at ease with it, be all already thanked for sharing your knowledge.

Good picture hunting everyone !

• Like Like x 2
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  3. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    welcome.... the sickness spreads

Pete

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome.
    I also love the Pen 1. I have the 20 & the 17 but use the 20 95% of the time. You are in for a treat. The more you use it, the more you'll love it.
    Check out the image quest each week and give it a go.
    Post some photos in your gallery so we can see what your up to.
    Brian has some great quick start bids in the forum and that will help with set up.
    See ya around... Shooter

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'll certainly look for that.

For tonight, you can look at my first attempts here, if you're interested. It's still very rough and inequal, but I'm still in the discovery process.

http://picasaweb.google.fr/manuel.viet0/EP1

Cheers,

Mauve

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    If course I'm interested.... On my way...

I'm back... I like the street stuff and # 2 is interesting....
    Good eye, good camera...good luck...

7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Great First shots..... I had both the e-p1 and gf1, your not missing much... They both do B&W so no one reviews that feature as it's just desaturated... The B&W grainy art filter is fun sometimes, but easy to replicate in most processing software..

Enjoy your camera!

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Congratulations mauve, and welcome home :friends:

Please consider joining our PAD project, it will give you a good framework to master your new body :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Glad you found your way here, mauve - and that you are so pleased with your E-P1. I'm sure you'll love that new lens, too. Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

Be sure to check out the Housekeeping forum for the "how to" on galleries, posting photos in threads, etc.:wink:

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

The PAD project is tempting, but my free time is limited, so I may try first to post on regular (maybe weekly basis), and then see if I can gear up.

Nevertheless, I did my best to begin, and uploaded a fresh picture in my gallery.

Cheers,

Mauve