1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New E-P1 owner

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 11, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I bought a body from a fellow member here and now I want a silver kit zoom for it. I get that the AF is slow, but what can I do to minimize the slowness? I've read to use the camera on "A" and to pre-select the center focus point, but anything else? Is the MSC (second version) lens faster on an E-P1 than the original?

2. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    If you are on the latest firmware (I`ve got 1.4), there is nothing more you can do

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Any difference in kit zoom AF speeds?

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, the newest Olympus 14-42 is really quite acceptable at focusing quickly in reasonable light. I was surprised.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The Panasonic 14-45 and 14-42 are also significantly faster than the Olympus 14-42mk1 at focusing. The Panasonic 14-42 in particular is also quite inexpensive (though the 14-45 is the better lens optically).

DH

6. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I set my E-P1 for focusing with one of the back buttons. It doesn't actually speed up AF, but it can make the overall operation speedier if you're taking shots of subjects that don't move out of the focal plane. Then you can just snap away.

I love my E-P1 even though I don't use it as much anymore.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOL. What's old is new again!

Turn off IBIS if you can. IBIS slows the shot to shot time.

Metering on the EP1 also slows it down. If you can AEL or shoot manually, it's a little faster.

And pre-focus, because, well, the focus is slow :biggrin:

EP1 has great output, as you know, it's just the other quirks you have to put up with ;)

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The E-P1 is pretty quick to AF using the P14 and P14-45. I found if I set the meter to center weighted and a chose single centered AF point then the E-P1 was pretty much at max speed. It's a fun camera and like all of the PENs has terrific IQ. I especially liked the built-in levels. I put a GGS glass LCD protector on mine and I always thought it improved the LCD's usability by giving it bit more contrast.

I also read somewhere (and I wish I could recall where it was) that the IBIS in the E-P1 and E-P2 is a bit more advanced than the ones that came later. Presumably because the later ones were cheaper so they cut corners. Does anyone else recall ever seeing that? I have always wondered if that were true. Given the big disparity in price (but not features) between the E-P and E-PL series it always seemed plausible to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I remember hearing/reading that as well..maybe from some limited forum testing. Wouldn't be surprised if the early ones got a bit more attention/higher end parts. Just look at the original 14-45mm kit lens from panasonic compared to the 14-42.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes it is. The internal focus system of the MSC lenses is naturally more efficient and faster to operate no matter what body they're on. Of course you won't get the full benefit as mounting it on a body capable of realizing its potential.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't believe the IBIS system was changed to cut corners, but was revamped to fit in the new ultra-compact body style used in the E-PL3 and E-PM1. The shutter mechanism was also changed to fit the smaller bodies (this is direct from Olympus staff), which is why the Lite and Mini now have a 5fps burst rate over the 3.5fps used in the higher-end E-P3, and why they exhibit the new behavior of opening and closing when the camera is turned on.

12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Does that equate to any better IBIS performance on the E-P bodies or is that just hooey?

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Can't say that I've noticed a difference between the E-P1 and the E-PL2 in that regard but I wasn't really looking for it. I have tried the Panny 100-300mm lens on the E-PL2 with bother the IBIS and then the OIS of the lens and found no real difference except that the image in the viewfinder was more stable when the OIS was used. Photo quality remained the same. I'll have to try the same test with the E-P3 and see what happens.

14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Even though I own an E-P3 I have been using my E-P1 more than the E-P3 lately. Maybe it's the old beat up silver body, maybe it's the fact that I work a little slower with the E-P1 and take extra time to consider composition ... or maybe it's just the fact that the E-P1 matches my silver 12mm and 45mm lenses better than my black E-P3. ;)

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Just got my E-P3 so I'm having fun with it. I do love my E-P1 (silver) and I plant to hang on to it, but I really don't know how much use it will see.