1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-M5 & some questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wysz, Apr 28, 2015.

1. wysz

wysz New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2015
    I've recently become the happy owner of an E-M5 after its price went down following the arrival of the Mark II. I've been fiddling with the functions, and hoped you could help me with a couple of questions:

1. I use spot meter. Is there a way to link the meter reading to the selected focus point instead of the center focus point?

2. While using face detection autofocus when taking a photo of a group of people, is there a way to select which of the faces detected is focused on, or is it always on the one that's nearest you?

TIA!

2. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    1. You just have to use AEL lock. So move the center spot on your target, lock the exposure and then frame as you want to. I don't see any other way for that.
    2. don't know about that :)

3. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

1. Agree with physicsdude, that's how I use it. I wondered the same thing and wished it worked that way when I first got mine.

2. I would love to know the answer to question #2 if there is one, and if you don't mind I'd like to throw an addition onto it...call it 2a. I would like to ask if there's a way to override the detection and use your selected focus point besides pointing the camera away and bringing it back? I really like the face detection feature, but when it decides to select an object that isn't a face it's frustrating.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    According to the EM5 manual(p46), when using Face Detection modes and center weighted or spot metering, the camera meters off the selected point of the face.
    Face detect also works in MF mode.

I don't have my OMD with me today, but I want to say that using the touch screen will override the face detect....but don't quote me on that, I'd like to test it or you can and report back what you find.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    You are correct Andrew. Beyond that, I'm not sure if using face detect is the way to go when shooting a group anyway. Pick your spot, lock it in, and you should be good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yeah, one or 2 faces I would trust, beyond that I'm going to pick a point and make sure that the aperture chosen will give me sufficient DOF to cover all of them.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Not a real answer but in the live histogram there is a smaller green histogram corresponding to the AF box area only.

• Informative Informative x 1