1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New E-M5 .... Let's get all the moaning done first!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldenlight, Aug 23, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I finally found time this evening to sit down undisturbed with my new acquisition, in front of the computer with the pdf instruction manual. I can appreciate the lack of a paper manual on environmental grounds, but by the time they have printed the “Basic Manual” (very basic, with helpful tips like don’t swallow the batteries) in every language in the known Universe, they could have printed the full version in just one language using less paper.

One of my first jobs was to switch the Super Control Panel on. It bemuses me why this should even be necessary; can you think of any reason why you wouldn’t want it? It’s a bit like buying a new car and needing to turn on the dashboard display or making Windows visible on a new PC. Next job was to turn Live Guides and Mode Guides off. Are these really on a £1000 semi-pro camera? Then, before it got overlooked, I turned off the warm bias for AWB – err, isn’t that what the custom settings are for?

I can understand needing to configure button and dials as we all have individual preferences for this, same as what info is displayed in Record View and for how long. The number of options and possible customisations for this camera is awesome in the true meaning of the word and sometimes more than a little bewildering. Why is it then that Auto Exposure Bracketing apparently has no shortcut, does not feature on the SCP and cannot be assigned to one of the configurable buttons, or have I missed something? It took 15 button presses, if I counted correctly, to scroll the menus, select 3 frames @ +/- 0.7 EV and return to shooting mode. To me it would be a far more useful option than, say, quick WB adjustment, given the huge control over WB when processing raw files. It wouldn’t matter if you were shooting at 5600K and really needed 3300K, just move the slider in pp and it’s job done.

I also found it curious that there doesn’t appear to be a volume adjustment for the focus confirmation “beep,” it’s either on or off. I’m sure that even my E-PL1 allows volume adjustment. It’s a shame, particularly considering how quiet the shutter is.

So I’ve got a new (to me) camera and all I can do is whinge. Not at all, most of the issues I have come up against so far are minor points, just nit-picking really. It’s far easier to concentrate on the problems of the E-M5 rather than the advantages, because I can list them all on a page instead of needing to write a book! Just one example of a really nice touch is how the image viewed in the EVF can be configured either as full screen, with information overlay, or inset within a frame with the info outside the image area. This has particular advantages for me, as a glasses wearer, because it enables me to see all four corners of the image simultaneously.

It’s early days yet, of course, and I’m still becoming familiar with the handling. It’s really nice, however, to use a small camera without forever accidentally pressing the wrong button or accidentally moving a dial. Oh, and did I say it looks really neat with the Panasonic 14-45mm attached? I think I’m going to love the E-M5 as much as my old OM film cameras – after all, it is part of the same family!

2. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    One more whinge I forgot - I had to delve into the menus to enable LSF JPEGs, rather than just LF. Once again, why would Olympus want to hide their best quality JPEGs?

Fitting the neck strap was also mighty difficult, but that one's down to me and my mate Parky, not Olympus! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Why because you are not use to the body or have to set it up like you want it mean it has issues? There has never been a time I bought a camera where I didn't have t set it up.

I would assume someone as in depth as your self would have at least demo'd one before buying.

4. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I recently borrowed one for a day's shoot (which is really what decided me on getting one) but these days you can't really configure a camera exactly how you want it without spending several hours intensively going through the menus and the manual. No camera will ever be perfect and do everything that you want the way you want it to be done. To be fair, I was already aware of at least some of these issues and I did say they are only minor issues.

And I do now have it set up how I want it, it just took a bit of time! :smile:

5. canerino

canerino New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2012
    Tagging this post for information!

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Bracketing is my only real irritation with the Oly interface, as it is really the only time I dive into menus after setup. It does seem like it could be tied to a drive mode. That said, the cameras I have that I have used that have a simpler way to initiate bracketing (Ricoh GXR, Pentax K-01, Sony) have much, much less powerful bracketing options.

I am feeling a lot less need to do exposure bracketing with the E-M5 than I did with the E-P3. I think this is because of the increased DR (at least it seems like it), but also because I am nailing exposure a bit more precisely with the viewfinder always there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ha, you are so right! These are my first steps as well (with all newer Oly cameras), and I never could understand why they aren't the defaults.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
  9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But John, not everyone understands Japanese, either in its native form or when using English words.

• Like Like x 1
  10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Haha! I didn't make it clear that I meant a single language, relevant to the country in which it is being sold, i.e. Italian for cameras exported to Italy, English for Britain and American for the USA! :biggrin:

11. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Alright John, we'll let yah whine and moan. Gracious I have my peaves about the camera's interface too.

But ... better start putting your shots in this thread too, that's the real proof-of-pudding for any camera. :)

(And yes, just like any camera you get used to the interface over time. Sort of, in this case :rofl: )

12. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Thanks! I had no idea what you were talking about so I decided to google LSF...Large Super Fine. I agree about what your're saying about this...should be set right out of the box!

Can any one figure out why under EVF settings I can't change the frame rate from normal? Its just greyed out....is it due to firmware? I don't want to reset, I've searched around and I'm not in a custom shooting mode...either P,A,S,M still can't figure out whats disabling this from being changed....add this to a grunt/groan about the OM-D :(

13. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "There has never been a time I bought a camera where I didn't have t set it up"

We'll...there was a time that there was nothing to set up and anybody who ever had a camera in their hands knew how to use the new one! 90% of what's in the OMD camera is of no use to me. But that's ME...

That being said, the OMD is the best camera I have owned since my Leica M6 was new. And I have had a all manner of SLRs DSLRs since they showed up with the Nikon F. I bought an EP3 and 12, 45, 14-150 lenses some months ago as an experiment into 4/3 and I sold my Nikon gear (D7000) afterward. I have to admit that I never got totally warmed to the EP3 because it was clearly inferior to the Nikon in several important areas to me but I did like it's size and general quality. I didn't think I was interested in an OMD initially but decided two weeks ago to order one from BH and, if I didn't like it, return it. So I ordered it with overnight shipping...

Imagine my surprise when the opposite happened. I absolutely love the camera and I put the EP3 on Ebay almost immediately. I enjoy using the OMD more than any camera I have owned, including that M6!

Yeah, the menus are terrible, just like they were on the EP3 but, as has been noted many times, you can set the camera up however you want it and once that's done, there's no issue. I have to admit that my experience with the '3 helped a lot for that since I already was familiar with the Oly interface...such as it is. :)

I didn't like the non-built in flash but the flash implementation is far superior to the EP3 as far as image balance with fill flash. I liked the '3s built in flash but not what it produced. The OMD does a far better job. It's not Nikon class but it's pretty darned good and I leave the flash attached at all times.

It's hard for me to imagine I would ever want a different camera! (but I've said that many times over the last 30 years!)

14. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    This line cracked me up. I have said it many, many times as well. Now I just have to decide if I just sell a bit of Canon glass in order to keep this E-M5 or my entire collection of Canon gear. My thoughts right now are to sell my 70-300L and my 17-40L and cover most of this investment. It would be really sweet to keep both.

If after a few months I find I am not using the 5d MkII any more I could sell right before the Christmas season.

hmmmmmm.....

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    As I posted in another thread, the OM-D really requires a fair bit of reading and experimenting to get it set up the way you prefer. Once it's done, though, the camera is (at least IMO) a really superb performer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

English for Australia would be fine too (we wouldn't want American. We get enough on TV :wink:).

It's nice to see you having a whinge here too John. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. ISO1600

ISO1600 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Chris
    I don't like how the Super Control Panel doesn't actually have everything i want- video settings for example, are absent.

18. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Us Whinging Poms get everywhere mate! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  19. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The ultimate in customization would be a configurable SCP where the user selects which functions are included. Maybe next time. :smile:

20. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "This line cracked me up. I have said it many, many times as well. Now I just have to decide if I just sell a bit of Canon glass"

I sold not only my Nikon digital stuff but also two Leicas (M2, M6) and my Leica lenses. Only camera I now own is an OMD! I will admit that one thing that neither OLY or anybody else can remotely match is Leica's resale value. I was very pleasantly shocked at the money the Leica gear put in my bank account! Most of it sold for more than I paid for it which means that even figuring inflation over the years I used it almost for free.

But since I just bought my "last" camera, resale value for my OMD is no issue at all! ;)

• Like Like x 1