1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-M5 body at B&H for $399!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by manypix, Mar 6, 2016.

1. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    $379 again today :)

3. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I couldn't resist - just ordered the E-M5 for $379 from B&H. I have an E-M10 but kept thinking this would be a good way to get a weather sealed body for not too much money. Then again, I may just be a little crazy :)

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Don't forget you also need a WR lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    The original EM5 is not weather sealed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Pretty sure it is.

7. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I bought one too - thanks for posting the deal

8. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Congrats on the EM-5 I got mine when they where $499 with a kit lens and I thought I got a great deal and I still do.

The EM-5 is weather sealed heck its in the advertising and the original was bundled with the 12-50 weather sealed lens. The promo photo shows the EM-5 getting soaked with water its just not freeze proof like the mkII.

Jim

9. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    Hi James-

Thank you yes I am aware it is weather sealed. I can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow. This is a major transition for me from Canon 5D3/6D/SL1/M and L glass (long story). I can tell you that I have always wanted smaller quality gear and purchased EP1 and EPM1 when they first came out. I am pleased with the PM2 I have recently purchased but wanted to add a body with viewfinder. I will work on adding fast primes next :)

10. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    The new E-M5 will be a nice mate for my 12-40. Along with the E-M5, I ordered a Peak Design cuff, one Watson battery and the Fotodiox grip.

I've had the 12-40 for a while now - wonderful lens. I was able to snag a refurbished one from the Olympus store.

Looking around the web - I haven't seen anyone else with the E-M5 in stock. B&H must have a ton of these to get rid of.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The EM5 is a sweet camera. The only real "issue" is that the em5 had mushy buttons because of the weather sealing and they often didn't feel like they were clicking. Otherwise, it's a pleasure to use. I have an EM5 II, and the improvements are good but not essential to its ultimate capabilities over the original.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I'm expecting this will handle much like my E-M10. My biggest concern was the early reports of shutter shock associated with this body. My son has an E-PL6 which supposedly exhibits the same problem, though I haven't been able to see it in any images.

I don't think the mushy buttons will be a problem. I'm generally pretty forgiving with ergonomics. I keep thinking that if there is any digital camera which can classified as a classic, the E-M5 is it :thumbup:

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I saw shutter shock issues with my EPL5 but not my EM5. I'm not saying there weren't any but I didn't notice them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

E-M5 with the latest firmware has the 0 sec delay feature, which eliminates shutter shock.

15. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    That's terrific news. I was under the impression that the hardware wouldn't support 0 sec anti-shock. I''ll need to check the camera when it arrives to verify the firmware is up to date.

16. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I've had the EM-5 for about a year now and have never had issues with shutter shock.

Jim

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  18. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    Jorgen
  19. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I have to be honest I don't really know what anti shock 0 is and don't think my EM-5 has it. It does have shutter delay to decrease movement from pressing the shutter release.

All that said again I've never had any issues with shutter shock. But mine is a late production and the firmware is up to date.

Jim

20. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    Thanks for the replies on this. I didn't think that the E-M5 had a 0-second anti-shock setting but since I ordered one, I'm not terribly worried about it. From what I have read, it depends on the interaction between the camera body and lens - so only shows up with specific combinations.