New E-M5 body at B&H for $399!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by manypix, Mar 6, 2016.

1. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    $379 again today :)

3. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I couldn't resist - just ordered the E-M5 for $379 from B&H. I have an E-M10 but kept thinking this would be a good way to get a weather sealed body for not too much money. Then again, I may just be a little crazy :)

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Don't forget you also need a WR lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    The original EM5 is not weather sealed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Pretty sure it is.

7. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I bought one too - thanks for posting the deal

8. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Congrats on the EM-5 I got mine when they where $499 with a kit lens and I thought I got a great deal and I still do.

The EM-5 is weather sealed heck its in the advertising and the original was bundled with the 12-50 weather sealed lens. The promo photo shows the EM-5 getting soaked with water its just not freeze proof like the mkII.

Jim

9. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    Hi James-

Thank you yes I am aware it is weather sealed. I can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow. This is a major transition for me from Canon 5D3/6D/SL1/M and L glass (long story). I can tell you that I have always wanted smaller quality gear and purchased EP1 and EPM1 when they first came out. I am pleased with the PM2 I have recently purchased but wanted to add a body with viewfinder. I will work on adding fast primes next :)

10. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    The new E-M5 will be a nice mate for my 12-40. Along with the E-M5, I ordered a Peak Design cuff, one Watson battery and the Fotodiox grip.

I've had the 12-40 for a while now - wonderful lens. I was able to snag a refurbished one from the Olympus store.

Looking around the web - I haven't seen anyone else with the E-M5 in stock. B&H must have a ton of these to get rid of.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The EM5 is a sweet camera. The only real "issue" is that the em5 had mushy buttons because of the weather sealing and they often didn't feel like they were clicking. Otherwise, it's a pleasure to use. I have an EM5 II, and the improvements are good but not essential to its ultimate capabilities over the original.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I'm expecting this will handle much like my E-M10. My biggest concern was the early reports of shutter shock associated with this body. My son has an E-PL6 which supposedly exhibits the same problem, though I haven't been able to see it in any images.

I don't think the mushy buttons will be a problem. I'm generally pretty forgiving with ergonomics. I keep thinking that if there is any digital camera which can classified as a classic, the E-M5 is it :thumbup:

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I saw shutter shock issues with my EPL5 but not my EM5. I'm not saying there weren't any but I didn't notice them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. E-M5 with the latest firmware has the 0 sec delay feature, which eliminates shutter shock.

15. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    That's terrific news. I was under the impression that the hardware wouldn't support 0 sec anti-shock. I''ll need to check the camera when it arrives to verify the firmware is up to date.

16. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I've had the EM-5 for about a year now and have never had issues with shutter shock.

Jim

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  18. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    I have to be honest I don't really know what anti shock 0 is and don't think my EM-5 has it. It does have shutter delay to decrease movement from pressing the shutter release.

All that said again I've never had any issues with shutter shock. But mine is a late production and the firmware is up to date.

Jim

19. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    Thanks for the replies on this. I didn't think that the E-M5 had a 0-second anti-shock setting but since I ordered one, I'm not terribly worried about it. From what I have read, it depends on the interaction between the camera body and lens - so only shows up with specific combinations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.