1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-M10's Live Composite - Do you think this new E-M10 feature will make it onto the E-M1 or E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G1Reflector_949, Feb 3, 2014.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Live Composite - Do you think this new E-M10 feature will make it onto the E-M1 or E-M5?

I don't see why not as all 3 OM-D cameras essentially have the same live time & bulb functionality, why not the Live Composite also?

I hope so, sounds like a pretty cool tool for long exposures.

Not much detail is said about this feature, but on one YouTube video from Ralfs Foto-Bude, http://youtu.be/rqyH_GDQ__c (SKIP TO ABOUT 8:35 TIME ON THE VIDEO to get the start of the explanation of this Live Composite feature) the reviewer mentions you can do something like a night scene where you have a city skyline and stars, and using Live Composite, the camera will know when to stop exposure on the city skyline so it won't get overexposed, and continue the long exposure for the star above. Supposedly, you can get easy perfect exposure for such a situation.

Pretty cool if it works as he's describing. I've been trying to do some long exposures of at night of some r/c airplanes with bright l.e.d.'s flying near my home, but it's hard not to get the surrounding home and street lights out of the scene. If Live Composite was available, I could see this really making getting a nice shot of both colorful light trails made by the flying r/c airplanes' l.e.d.'s as well as a well non-overexposed area with city street and home lights at the bottom of the frame.

Anyways, anybody heard anything or have any insights into this?... I've only heard one mention that so far it may not be available for the E-M1 or E-M5, but maybe too early to say.

Hopefully, the next firmware update for E-M1 will have the Live Composite feature added! I think the E-M1 is due for another firmware update soon, no?.. with the new set of lenses that are about to released, I would think that there should at least be a firmware update soon to allow E-M1 users to recognize and take full advantage of the new lenses.. would make sense so that the image processor knows how to image correct and optimize photo image quality like it does for all current lenses.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've been playing with the 'Interval Composite' feature on my GR for the last week or so to generate star-trails. I think it is essentially the same as the EM10 set-up and it's great fun to play with! As with the EM5's 'Live-Time', a half press of the shutter during exposure on the GR will give you a real-time preview of the image, which can then me stopped whenever you want.

Would definitely like to see it as an EM5 firmware upgrade!

Here's an example from the GR, I think this was about 25mins worth of stacked 25" shots...

12299022184_daf8cce2f4_o.

• Like Like x 5
  3. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I was wondering the same myself. I personally don't think that the E-M5 will get it. It is just a much older camera with an older processor, and even though Olympus is quite good about updating its firmware, it probably won't get this feature.

The E-M1 was released just recently, quite close to the E-M10. It hasn't received many updates yet.
    I think that Olympus would have added this feature to it it they could do it in time, but they probably just missed the deadline with it. I think that if there is enough interest, then the E-M1 could get it too.

4. G1Reflector_949

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I tend to agree.

The e-m5 does not have the same image processor as the e-m1 & e-m10, the Truepic7, so it may not be able to get such an updated feature like the Live Composite.

However, the e-m10 also has focus peaking which they just added to the e-m5 via firmware update... but, then again they should have updated with Live Composite if they were going to do that recently, I would think.

I'm still hoping the e-m1 will get an update soon with the live composite feature. Its the flagship, so it should have at least as many features as all the current (forgive the lack of a better word) "lesser" o-md models.

If they add the live composite feature, I think I'd also like to see the ability to change focus peaking colors to more than just black or white.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    What's the difference of Live Composite vs. Live Bulb and Live Time on current OM-Ds?

6. G1Reflector_949

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    See the link to YouTube video I have in my first comment I wrote and fast forward to the time index that talks about it, I think about 8:35.

I also mentioned what it could potentially do. You can do a keyword search online for "e-m10 live composite long exposure" for some more info.

Basically, live bulb & live time are essentially the same way to get live preview and watch exposure develop on the rear lcd screen for long exposure scenes, you just activate and stop it in different ways..one is by setting actual exposure time, the other is pressing the shutter button to start and pressing again to stop the long exposure.

The new live composite also allows you to do a preview of a long exposure and see it develop on the rear LCD screen, but it is "smarter". I don't have the whole story, but from what I know you can do multiple long exposures and it gets combined or composited into 1 image.

For example I think wrote above. If you have a night scen with city skyline and stars, you can't really do a long exposure for both and get nice even exposure.. more than likely of both city lights and stars are in the same frame, the city lights and anything nearby will get overexposed as you're also trying to capture and expose for the stars.

Supposedly, live composite will recognize when one area is exposed enough and stop exposure in those areas and then continue to expose for other areas until that other area is exposed enough. In the end, it will automatically combine the two long exposures into 1 image and you should get 1 perfectly exposed long exposure image.

That is one example the YouTube video I referenced explains live composite function.

7. G1Reflector_949

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    And only the e-m10 currently has lived composite... as well as live bulb and living time. No other om-d has live composite.

So it would be nice to add it to the other om-d. Could make taking somewhat complicated night long exposure scenes a lot easier so you can get near perfect results faster.

8. G1Reflector_949

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    btw, nice star trails shot!

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    The way it works on the GR is that you set the correct exposure for ambient light - so perhaps f4, 30" @ 100iso, and then set 'Interval Composite', which will stack consecutive 'f4, 30" @ 100iso' until you tell it to stop. Therefore the image is correctly exposed for the scene, but any moving elements will be stiched together - the perfect example being star-trails.

So, a 5min image will show 5min of star movement, but only 30sec of light exposure. Whereas Live Bulb/Time will have 5min of movement and exposure.

10. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Did some tests on live composite, so far it has been impressive especially for those who likes to take very long exposure but often hindered by hot pixels (even after long exposure noise reduction), especially on tropical Singapore, where the temperatures is in excess of 25oC at night. I'm not sure about whether it's smart enough to expose to ensure skyline is exposed well while other parts won't be overexposed as mentioned in the linked video. Did have a chance to test about 2 hours,ISO400, F6.3, 6sec x 800+ shot live composite, shot using Panasonic 7-14. It can output as a RAW file as well. Here's the shot, I stopped prematurely as it was rather late.

OOC jpeg (with slight crop)

13011039835_4935a09178_b.

Here's another much shorter, 4sec x 60 shots = 240sec (4 min) ISO 200, with new pancake kit lens, OOC jpeg

12969086683_de541baa58_b.

Cropped 100%, for those who had been using Olympus for long exposure probably knows that this looks clean for a 4 min shot.

12968935185_5affc5109c_b.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lakewood

Lakewood New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH USA
    Can any point me to a detailed "how-to" on live composite with the E-M10? The printed instructions are inadequate and the in-camera help is rather cryptic.
    Thanks!

12. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Mat from bestmirrorlessons.com gave me this info. I have yet to try it. If anyone has anything to add to this it would be great.

Here is a step by step tutorial for the live composite. I hope not to forget anything.

1. Set the camera to manual mode (M on the mode dial situated on the top left).

2. One of the two main dials on the top right of the camera allows you to change the shutter speed. Turn it until you reach the live composite mode (you have to slow down the shutter speed. You reach it after the 60' and live time values).

3. Set the ISO to 200 (use the Fn2 button)

4. For star trails shot, you need to use the fastest aperture you can get in order to let the max possible light into the lens. If you use the 12mm, set it to f/2.8 or f/2.

5. If you press the menu button, it will prompt you directly to choose the time for each shot. You have to select it according on what the camera metering indicates you. On the LCD screen you will not a value on the bottom center, next to the aperture and live composite indications.
    If for example it says - 1.0, it means you are 1 stop underexposed. So you have to select a longer time. If it says +1.0, you are overexposed, you can select then a shorter time. Try a couple of combinations until you see 0 or -0.3. This will determine the good exposure for the more illuminated zone of your photograph (example: a city skyline).

6. Press the shutter button once to activate the live composite, then check your focus. If you press the shutter button again, the live composite will start and you will see how it progresses on the lcd screen.

7. Be patient, you can wait for one or two hours or even more depending on the situations. Make sure to bring some hot coffee with you ;)

• Like Like x 4
  13. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Love this feature. Thanks for sharing Bozer (& Mat). Normally I would meter first in A mode with histogram to get the correct exposure first. Then follow the steps you mentioned.

Sharing some experiences from last week of shooting with this feature
    If purely light trails, a couple of seconds is ok.
    If moving clouds (this also depends on type of moving clouds), in Singapore, clouds usually are quite slow, a few seconds of composite would show patches of clouds in the sky, 30-60sec may work better

A few shots did last week,

This was a 6x50shots = 5min live composite shot.

13169161324_ff51071419_b.

Another one of about total 1min+ shot

13158424234_38fee0da65_b.

One thing I notice is the presence of small artefact, see below shot, happens on brightest highlight. Fixable, it might have been hot pixels manifestation?
    As compared to say shooting a single shot of 2min long exposure, I would see alot of hot pixels which would have been alot worse, so I'm happy.
    See the lamp lights for the artefacts.
    13158418944_897a2dd676_b.

I think previous Oly camera owners should have this feature in the next firmware:)

Here's one shot for light show in Singapore which combines many shots of short exposure of 5secs. This is really useful without the use of blending tools in post process...best part, you see it happening on screen live:2thumbs:
    13158410154_22e2787367_b.

• Like Like x 7
  14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EM1 is a pure professional camera and doesn't even have scene modes (because a pro would never use them). I wonder if Olympus considers live composite to be on par with scene modes and will leave it off their professional grade camera. One would think they had this tech when the EM1 was released.

15. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    M1 has scene modes...

• Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    OK, you're wrong ;)

The E-M1 has both SCN and ART mode position on the dial. Which you can (fortunately) reassign to mysets, but it has everything all the lower end cameras have, and more. Except for the live composite, which I do think would be a valuable/fun addition to have, particularly if it also saves the RAW files so you can stack them later with more control should you want to, but also have a 'finished' product straight out of camera, which will be 'good enough' for a whole lot of situations.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lakewood

Lakewood New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH USA
    Thanks very much. I will give it a try.

18. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I really need to get out and try doing this. Are you guys using ND filters at all for the images taken where its not that dark out yet?

19. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    You should, it's pretty addictive, it gives Olympus users a new life for long exposure:) All the shots I shared above are without filters. Here's one with.Panasonic 7-14mm and DIY 100mm holder for ND1.8 (6 stopper) + GND 0.9. Base exposure is 0.8sec, i think I did about 2min in total.

13244989034_5a69c1519c_b.

• Like Like x 1
  20. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Amazing pics, does GX7 have this feature?