New E-M10 shutter count concerns

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by burndtjamb, Oct 8, 2014.

1. burndtjamb

burndtjamb New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2011
    I just received a new E-M10 from an Olympus authorized US dealer and I have a few concerns regarding the shutter count and other values listed in the hidden service menu. Do these numbers seem a bit too high for a QA test or am I just worrying about nothing?

R: 183 [total shot count]
    S: 25 [shot count with flash]
    U: 125 [turn on count which is ultrasonic wave cleaner count]
    B: 42 [total shot count using in-body stabilisation (IBIS)]

The total shutter count may be on the higher end of the acceptable range but the camera appears to have been powered on quite a number of times. This unit was advertised as new and unused so I hope I did not receive a demo unit. There were no prompts to set a language or time and date when I first powered on the unit.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Did you buy from an authorized dealer?

--Ken

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Those numbers do seem odd, as does the lack of need to set date/time. Sounds "used" to me, but I'm not sure I'd sweat it if the camera looked and worked "like new". But if it bugs you give the retailer a call and see what they have to say. If it was in fact a return or demo or something I would think you'd see at least a 10% savings.

4. burndtjamb

burndtjamb New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2011
    Yep, they are indeed authorized. I sent them an e-mail earlier and they were also surprised at the shutter count. I sent an e-mail over to Olympus to see what they think and I told the retailer I'd hold off on a camera exchange from them until I heard back.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I think Dean summed up your options best.

Good luck,

--Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.