1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New E-M10 shutter count concerns

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by burndtjamb, Oct 8, 2014.

1. burndtjamb

burndtjamb New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2011
    I just received a new E-M10 from an Olympus authorized US dealer and I have a few concerns regarding the shutter count and other values listed in the hidden service menu. Do these numbers seem a bit too high for a QA test or am I just worrying about nothing?

R: 183 [total shot count]
    S: 25 [shot count with flash]
    U: 125 [turn on count which is ultrasonic wave cleaner count]
    B: 42 [total shot count using in-body stabilisation (IBIS)]

The total shutter count may be on the higher end of the acceptable range but the camera appears to have been powered on quite a number of times. This unit was advertised as new and unused so I hope I did not receive a demo unit. There were no prompts to set a language or time and date when I first powered on the unit.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Did you buy from an authorized dealer?

--Ken

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Those numbers do seem odd, as does the lack of need to set date/time. Sounds "used" to me, but I'm not sure I'd sweat it if the camera looked and worked "like new". But if it bugs you give the retailer a call and see what they have to say. If it was in fact a return or demo or something I would think you'd see at least a 10% savings.

4. burndtjamb

burndtjamb New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2011
    Yep, they are indeed authorized. I sent them an e-mail earlier and they were also surprised at the shutter count. I sent an e-mail over to Olympus to see what they think and I told the retailer I'd hold off on a camera exchange from them until I heard back.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I think Dean summed up your options best.

Good luck,

--Ken