New E-M10 questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Sep 20, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Bought a new E-m10 yesterday, I have some questions I can't find through searches.

I tried three units, the first two had large noticeable scratches on the same right side of the prism, the third one was clean but I noticed a little bump or dent along the line on the front of the bottom plate.
    It didn't look so bad in the store with indoor lighting but at home the light made it look worse than it was. I've taken a good look at it, there is no indication it came from any type of impact, it seems more like like some kind of manufacturing or machining defect from the factory.

I can't tell what the outer construction is on the camera, I don't know if the bottom plate is metal or plastic. If it's the latter, a worry would be it could start to crack and possibly get worse so I might have it changed at the store or looked at at the service center if they no longer have any stock to change it.

These are the only pics I have right now.
    From most angles, you can spot this from across the room.

Second, I checked the units at the store, the first one had 45 or so shots, this had 129, nothing unusual about that I guess since they test them at the factory but I also noticed when I got home this unit had firmware 1.1 already installed. I was under the impression that was an upgrade available some time after it was released, or maybe some of the newer ones came out of the factory with that firmware already installed?

Finally, can someone tell me the difference between All Directional IS and Auto IS. I wasn't all impressed with the IS, taking the same shots I normally take, the same way I normally take them despite many credible reviews and posts from people stating the 3axis was just as good as the 5axis on the em5. I wasn't expecting it to really be as good but I've gotten mixed results from the 100 or so images I took last night. I'm hoping it may have something to do with that and a subsequent outing with the former setting will yield more consistent results.

One more thing, is there any way to turn off the 14-42 EZ lens from automatically extending whenever I turn the camera on? Sometimes I just want to see some photos or change the settings without the lens sticking out the front.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I would assume that by auto IS, that means the camera only uses the axes needed on a shot per shot basis, where as All Directional means it's never off--leading me to imagine that a) the latter will drain the battery faster, and b) the latter is for use predominantly with video.
  3. Ken H.

Ken H. New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2015
    That bump doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much.