New E-M1 mkII firmware w AF enhancements; +minor new E-M1X fw

barry

Super Moderator
Press Release:
OLYMPUS ANNOUNCES FIRMWARE UPGRADES ENHANCING AUTOFOCUS PERFORMANCE AND IMAGE QUALITY

OLYMPUS ANNOUNCES FIRMWARE UPGRADES ENHANCING AUTOFOCUS PERFORMANCE AND IMAGE QUALITY
Version 3.0 for the OM-D® E-M1 Mark II, Version 1.1 for the OM-D E-M1X and Version 1.1 for Olympus® Workspace

CENTER VALLEY, Pa., June 19, 2019 – Olympus is pleased to announce availability of the latest firmware upgrade for two interchangeable lens cameras, Version 3.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and Version 1.1 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1X. Additionally, Firmware Version 1.1 is now available for Olympus Workspace. OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware Version 3.0 adds high-precision autofocus (AF) performance and the high image quality currently available on Olympus’ newest OM-D, the E-M1X. Specifically designed for the professional models in the OM-D series, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and OM-D E-M1X, this new firmware provides feature enhancements for photographers who require portability and smooth operation of the camera when shooting.

OM-D E-M1 Mark II Firmware Version 3.0: Main Features

Advanced AF Performance

This upgrade utilizes the OM-D E-M1X algorithm, which was developed based on the shooting needs of the professional photographer. With the goal of achieving performance that responds to demanding shooting conditions, such as fast movement in sports, etc., C-AF Center Priority delivers high-precision tracking of moving subjects and sudden subject movement. AF precision for still subjects when using S-AF is improved for various subjects compared to OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware Version 2.3. Active use of information from the On-chip Phase Detection AF sensor also improves AF performance while shooting video.

Newest AutoFocus Features

Group 25-point has been added to AF Target, and is effective for photographing birds and other small subjects. C-AF Center Priority is now available, and repeatedly autofocuses with priority on the center point in Group 5-point, Group 9-point, and Group 25-point. If AF is not possible in the center point, the peripheral points in the group area assists, which is effective for subjects that move around quickly. In addition, C-AF+MF1 is included which allows users to instantly switch to MF by turning the focus ring while in C-AF for fine tuning the focus.

Low Light Limit Update

The AF low light limit when an f/1.2 lens is attached is -6.0 EV (ISO 100 equivalent for S-AF), enabling high precision focusing in both dark scenes and for low-contrast subjects.

Improved Image Quality

Low ISO Processing (Detail Priority) has been added for higher resolution when shooting at low ISO sensitivity , making it possible to reduce noise while shooting with low ISO settings. Compared with OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware Version 2.3, noise that occurs when shooting at high ISO sensitivity is improved approximately 1/3 of a step.

Support for New Functions in Olympus Workspace

USB RAW Data Edit is now supported for much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace by connecting the camera to a computer to use the power of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II TruePic™ VIII image processor.

Enhanced Operability

・ Anti-flicker shooting added to prevent unstable exposure, particularly when sequential shooting indoors.

・ OM-Log400 movie-exclusive picture mode added, allowing the user to shoot movies without loss of details in shadows or highlight blowouts, delivery greater freedom over video creativity through color grading.

・ Frame Rate Priority added to Live View Boost/On2 display, displaying images at a comfortable brightness, even in especially dark locations, such as under a starlit sky without lowering the frame rate.

・ From 3 to 15 shots can be selected in Focus Stacking and guide lines have been added to the shooting area

・ Quick image selection added

・ Setting changes and playback display while writing to card now possible, facilitating quick operation.

・ Instant Film added to Art Filter

・ ISO L100 (ISO 100 equivalent) added

OM-D E-M1X Firmware Version 1.1: Main Features

USB RAW Data Edit is now supported for much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace by connecting the camera to a computer to use the power of the OM-D E-M1X TruePic VIII image processor.

Olympus Workspace Image Editing Software Version 1.1: Main Features

Focus Stacking added for compositing images shot in Focus Bracketing

Previously, when using Focus Stacking on a computer, it was necessary to use commercially available third party software to composite images. Now, t is possible to composite up to 999 images in Olympus Workspace.

Lighten Composite added

Lighten Composite is now supported by Olympus Workspace, making it possible to create images similar to Live Composite on the camera. Darken Composite has also been added.

USB RAW Data Edit has been added for much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace by connecting the camera to a computer, using the power of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and OM-D E-M1X TruePic VIII image processor.

Function Support Chart

✓ reflects the functions that have been upgraded with the firmware.

E-M1X Ver. 1.1 E-M1 mark II Ver. 3.0

AF Group Target 25-point Already available ✓

Custom AF Target Already available -

C-AF Center Priority Already available ✓

C-AF Center Start Already available ✓

C-AF+MF Already available ✓

Intelligent Subject Detection AF Already available -

Anti-flicker shooting Already available ✓

OM-Log 400 Already available ✓

ISO L100 (ISO 100 equivalent) Already available ✓

Frame Rate Priority on Live View Boost/On2 Already available ✓

Focus Stacking: Select from 3 to 15 images Already available ✓

Focus Stacking: Guide line display Already available ✓

Art Filter: Instant Film Already available ✓

Low ISO Processing (Detail Priority) Already available ✓

Setting changes and playback display while writing to card Already available ✓

Quick image selection Already available ✓

USB RAW Data Edit ✓ ✓

Live ND shooting Already available -

Handheld High Res Shot Already available -

High-speed shooting: 120 fps (1920x1080/ MOV) Already available -

Bluetooth® connection Already available -

UHS-II compatible dual card slots Already available -

GPS® / Field Sensor System Already available -

USB power supply/battery charging Already available -

Multi Selector Already available -

Please visit the following URL for access to Olympus software and Digital Camera Updater: Software | Olympus

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
We just got a major firmware update for the E-M1MkII, adding a lot of the capabilities from the E-M1X. Most exciting for me is the AF algorithms, but a few other AF improvements have also been added. There also seem to be some minor IQ improvements at low ISO, which now includes ISO 100 as well as 64. Log400 has been added for video. Focus stacking limit increased, etc... Quite a few goodies.

Both cameras nor have raw editing via USB connection to Olympus Workspace. It says editing is faster by using the camera processor.

New firmware updates for the E-M1X to the E-M1 Mark II - 43 Rumors

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
That's a decent update.

Control lockout while writing to SD and LV Boost lag were two major annoyances for me, I'm glad to see those addressed.

It will be interesting to see how much better the C-AF is, it looks to be the same as the E-M1X without the 'AI' functions and custom AF target. PDAF for video too, finally...

It might finally tempt me to upgrade from the E-M1 Mk1.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Seems like a nice firmware upgrade for the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, pity they did not include My Menu in the new firmware

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I'd call that a pretty nice update overall.

The review/setting whilst writing is a big plus

L64 was already available in the mk2

Just updating the mk2 first

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Listed under the EM1X for stacking, I presume only for that model? Be nice if it could be used for all cameras for stacking brackets

------------------From EM1X Above----------------------
Previously, when using Focus Stacking on a computer, it was necessary to use commercially available third party software to composite images. Now, t is possible to composite up to 999 images in Olympus Workspace.
---------------------End------------------------------------

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think they made an improvement to the compositing algorithm for the handheld hires of the E-M1X. I used to see a slight crosshatching type pattern that often would be visible on high contrast diagonal edges, you can see it in the DPReview samples, and it seems to be completely gone even after trying to induce it quite a bit. Also, and this is a big one, the crashing that had been plaguing my E-M1X seems to have vanished after the firmware update. It's too early to say that for sure but it was crashing quite a bit earlier this evening and since the firmware update I haven't been able to induce a single lockup.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Listed under the EM1X for stacking, I presume only for that model? Be nice if it could be used for all cameras for stacking brackets

------------------From EM1X Above----------------------
---------------------End------------------------------------
I think it's for any camera with Focus Bracketing. The problem is, as far as I can tell there is no Auto Alignment for the frames for either it or the Composite features -- meaning the merged images have to be taken on a tripod. Maybe I'm missing it somewhere, but that's a pretty important omission for a system that is trying to free us from our tripods.

Also, do I really want to have my camera plugged in while I am doing raw edits on my computer? I'm very happy about the E-M1 MkII upgrades, but Olympus Workspace still hasn't won me over.

Last edited:

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
EM1mk2 complete - no issues
EM1X complete with a slight hiccup that i got prompted for language and date time on the second reboot, seems stable now

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks, Oly. Another reason why to buy or keep shooting with the E-M1.2. The AF improvements are very welcome (given the recent progress of competition such as Fuji X-T3 or a new FW update for the 3rd gen Sony Alphas).

Finally panning will be much easier with FW3.0. I read a lots of positive feedbacks about success rate when panning with the E-M1X. As @wjiang said, maybe it is time to retire the E-M1.1.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks, Oly. Another reason why to buy or keep shooting with the E-M1.2. The AF improvements are very welcome (given the recent progress of competition such as Fuji X-T3 or a new FW update for the 3rd gen Sony Alphas).

Finally panning will be much easier with FW3.0. I read a lots of positive feedbacks about success rate when panning with the E-M1X. As @wjiang said, maybe it is time to retire the E-M1.1.
Not sure if the EVF refresh is the same between the E-M1X and E-M1 Mk2, that plays a part in how easy it is to pan.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I think it's for any camera with Photo Bracketing. The problem is, as far as I can tell there is no Auto Alignment for the frames for either it or the Composite features -- meaning the merged images have to be taken on a tripod. Maybe I'm missing it somewhere, but that's a pretty important omission for a system that is trying to free us from our tripods.

Also, do I really want to have my camera plugged in while I am doing raw edits on my computer? I'm very happy about the E-M1 MkII upgrades, but Olympus Workspace still hasn't won me over.

I have not tried Workspace yet. I may install it, a do a bracket on my EM10 and see if it can stack. Even if there is no auto align it may be better than nothing which is what I have now. I purchased one of those cheap flexible tripods that would never hold a camera to attached to my TG5 when bracketing. It seems to enable me to hold it steady enough to get a reasonable result "sometimes" so I may try with the EM10 MkII to see what happens.

If one had to have the camera connected that would not be good.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I have not tried Workspace yet. I may install it, a do a bracket on my EM10 and see if it can stack. Even if there is no auto align it may be better than nothing which is what I have now. I purchased one of those cheap flexible tripods that would never hold a camera to attached to my TG5 when bracketing. It seems to enable me to hold it steady enough to get a reasonable result "sometimes" so I may try with the EM10 MkII to see what happens.

If one had to have the camera connected that would not be good.
I do a lot handheld composites (panos, exposure bracketing, focus bracketing). Photoshop's Auto Align feature is pretty key for my workflow. I love my tripod, but I don't want to be tied to it.

The comment about plugging in the camera is a new Workspace feature. I guess it leverages the power of the camera processor to speed up raw editing. I wouldn't do that to my camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom