New E-M1 Mk III Clicking noise with some lenses

Hi everyone. I just received and opened my new E-M1.3 and was mounting each lens I have to test and see that they functioned before actually taking photos or opening the rest of the accessories. Well I have found an unsettling clicking noise that seems to correspond to it closing down the aperture on some lenses when pointing it from darker to lighter areas. I actually can't understand why it would be doing this, as mounting the same lenses on my E-M1.1 the lenses are fine. Setting was aperture priority set to widest aperture, matrix meter and tried center weighted to have it set the same as my E-M1.1. On the E-M1.1 aperture stays wide open when pointing around as expected. On the E-M1.3 it stops down loudly and you can watch the blades closing. I just took it out of the box and only had about 15% battery so I couldn't do an exhaustive test.

The lenses that didn't make a noise were the Oly 12-40 Pro, Oly 45 1.8.
Noisy lenses were Panasonic 25 1.7 & Oly ZD 50-200 2.8-3.5 (non SWD & this is distinct aperture blade changing sound, not trying to focus)

Any ideas would be appreciated! I'm hoping that there's a silly setting that needs to be flipped, but can't fathom what that is.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
The Panasonic 24/1.4 had a reputation for "rattlesnaking" on Olympus bodies because of the changing aperture blades, and I suspect that the 25/1.7 may also have this issue. I do not know if any specific settings that will eliminate the noise, but if you do a search on the site, you should find a couple of threads about this issue with the 25/1.4.

Good luck,

--Ken

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
As far as I know this is normal behaviour when switching between extreme lighting conditions (such as artificial point light source indoors). I have experienced it with all Olympus bodies I’ve used (OM-D E-M10.1/10.2/10.3/5.2/1.1/1.2/1.3/PEN E-PL7/10).

That being said, if anyone knows a setting that will remove it I’d be all ears.

I once experienced this after changing some setting on my E-M1, but I couldn't remember which.
The Panasonic 20mm was rattlesnaking like crazy. Since I didn't know the setting anymore, I did a factory reset of the settings and it was gone.

Try turning Auto-Flicker LV to off. Cogs menu C1, Flickr Reduction.

Well early this morning while still dark (to have same lighting conditions), I changed this setting and the issue didn't happen on either lens that was having problems. I switched back to auto and it didn't have an issue either 🤔. So this seems to have fixed the issue!

Thanks!

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
Just turned my flicker off. I had the same issue, but different, yesterday testing out my new Oly 100-400. Was using the lens fine for about an hour then it would give a loud click when I focused (both backbutton and shutter). A simple power off/on fixed it but hopefully with flicker off I won't experience that again. Em1ii, 100400

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom