1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-M1 Firmware?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zulfur666, Aug 28, 2014.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Anyone know when the new E-M1 firmware will be announced and what it entails? Saw some rumors on the 43 rumors site but wonder....

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Holey crap .. they list tethering as a possible part of the upcoming Firmware..
    that would be amazing and make it the 1st µ4/3 camera with that capability.

4. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    What does that mean? You can browse the camera images already from any device with wifi.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here's a list of a few things that are reported to be coming to the E-M1 in a firmware update prior to Photokina.

Also from a poster 'O' (presumable someone from within or privvy to info from within)

And

Ks meaning the wish for 4K video.

From the new Art Filters, Vintage 1, 2 & 3 (& with Effects) found in the E-PL7, I can assume, will be in the E-M1 update & also Partial Color Art Filter which contains PARTIAL COLOR TYPE 1, 2 & 3 which will use two dials to adjust as it does for the Colour Wheel, so I assume that is what O is refereing to. You can see how these look with Robin Wong's review of the E-PL7 or see the Olympus video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXOyep1mSQ

I will like the Live Composite from the E-M10 & many will like the Tethering. The new software I wonder about though. Could it be like the old Oly Studio where it had to be purchased? I guess we'll find out in due course (within two weeks).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    What is live composite?

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Tethering typically allows you to shoot with the camera while mirroring the output in realtime to another device (tablet/PC etc). This is similar but subtly different than the OI.Share that allows you to shoot with the tablet.

8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    So much speculation about the coming firmware update. The 4K dreams have been dismissed, but the remaining suggestions sound more likely - especially now the E-PL7 has been announced - and also extend the utility of the E-M1 for creative photography.:cool:

No doubt some here will condemn the new Art Filters, although I know a couple of local Olympus users who want to try the vintage filters. Even if you think those effects belong on compacts and phones, there is still plenty to interest the serious photographer.

Whether or not I am a serious photographer, I'm looking forward to my ne​w E-M1.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ross the fiddler

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
  11. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    It's cool. Haven't gotten to use it as much I would like to (learning how to be any good with jsut "normal" methods first), but here's an experiment I shot earlier this summer, Lightning Bugs in front of an abandoned cabin close to here.

15034714081_04baf4dc19_b. lake july 2014-3.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

I wish I had gotten around to doing better, more quality scenes before they stopped coming around for this summer. I was more just experimenting with the cool new feature--kicking myself for not scouting out better locations.

• Like Like x 4
  12. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    That looks really cool. Nicely done for not having used it much.

13. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks. It's pretty easy to do once you get the basics down. It just takes time, and some essential equipment: Tripod, shutter remote, and--most important piece of gear--BUG SPRAY!

14. Ross the fiddler

A bit more that will be nice in the firmware.

15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess only of interest to JPEG shooters. Personally I could do without these gimmicks, but if it helps them sell more cameras, why not.

16. Ross the fiddler

That can be a narrow way of looking at it Paul. If you have to use keystone adjustment in post software, then the image will be cropped & hopefully you've left enough for cropping when you took the photo. This way you do it in camera & still save RAW (& JPEG) knowing you've already tried it in Live View & you can also do post editing in other software with confidence. This can be applied to any of the art filters & various settings etc too.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's a good point Ross. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the alternative view!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ross the fiddler

That's OK mate! :wink:

19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    My guess is the RAW will not be affected by the Keystone filter.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Has anyone considered the possibility that they're actually moving the sensor using the IBIS mechanism for keystone adjustment?