1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New E-M1 firmware!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nstelemark, Nov 27, 2013.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    from 43rumors:

E-M1, version 1.1

• Improved quality of the images in the Live Bulb function while the noise reduction ;
    • Improved focus;
    • Improved image stabilization modes, “sport “, ” shooting children ” and C-AF;
    • Fixed chromatic aberration when working with lens LUMIX G VARIO 14 -140mm 1:3.5-5.6 ASPH / POWER OIS (H-FS14140).

Posted

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

2. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Excellent. Always love to get updates. No manufacturer ever seems to have it all right with 1.0 releases. Software is funny that way.

3. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    wonder if they will fix the 7-14 purple blob? or maybe they arent interested since oly has their own wide zoom coming. It's great that they are releasing a firmware upgrade this soon! maybe this is a positive sign they wont leave the em-1 owners out to dry

4. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    The 7-14 purple blob is not a firmware issue and cannot be corrected with in-camera adjustment. It is an optical issue that results from no UV filter in the Oly cameras. It does not happen often, but it can be solved with a 2A UV filter on the back of the lens. Cheap and easy. Go to the dpreview m4/3 forum and search.

Phil

5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Not just the 7-14 here it is with the 12-60:

[​IMG]

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Great news. I wonder if the CA correction works with other lenses. My12-35 has occasional frames with awful CA. Never happened onthe EM5.

Gordon

7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
  8. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Yep. Did the update last night. Will be testing it out today on unwitting family members :smile:

9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    that's simply lens flare; don't know any lens that you cannot get that (although you have to try a little harder with some than others!)

10. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Lens Flare

Spot on. The "purple blobs" are from strong light sources like street lights. This lens flare is from the angle of light on the outer element. Seen in almost any lens, particularly wider angles. Put the hood on.

PHil

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Sweet! Got my E-M1 yesterday, updated today! Spent the last 12 hours reading the manual!! Doh!

12. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Heh - I know what lens flare looks like. And this is not a wide angle shot.

Given that (a) there is a hood, and (b) the light source is not in the frame I don't think we can assume this is simply flare.

13. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I did a bit more digging. This purple disk is definitely a lens artifact. And it occurs without a light source in the frame and seems to be more prevalent at standard and short tele:

6754_oly12-60_odb45.

This is at 45mm. I am hard pressed to call this flare though.

14. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The AF appears to be faster and less finicky in low light with the new firmware and 4/3 PDAF lenses.

I'd be interested to hear what others think.

15. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I suppose it then comes down to how we define lens flare then.

This image provides more cluues to support the supposition that the purple disc is caused by the interaction of light with an area of an element in the lens - the secondary interaction with another elements causing the green flare showing top left of the window frame...

16. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Like Like x 1
  17. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I'm pretty happy with my E-M1, but found that hand-held night street images were not sharp with IS, and I will have to use a tripod.
    Maybe this new software fix will help in this regard.