1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New E-M1-alike Fuji X-T1 on the way

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ulysses, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Fuji has posted a nice official teaser photo of their upcoming X-T1, which has obviously and frequently been compared to the Olympus E-M1 for its features and styling cues.

image.
    http://fujifilm-x.com/teaser140128/en/

The rumors so far describe it as follows:
    • announcement January 28th
    • bigger (extra-large) and better (high performance) EVF
    • APS-C X-Trans sensor II (16MP)
    • support for the UHS-II SD-card for super-fast writing speed
    • 8fps with AF tracking
    • weather sealed body
    • tilt screen
    • SLR-type (Fujica) design
    • name: X-T1
    • smaller than the X-E2
    • 18-55 kit lens
    • 18-135 will be weather sealed
    • in stores mid-February
    • price range between X-E and X-PRO line
    • priced at 180,000 yen
    • additional battery grip
    • faster AF then X-E2

Are you considering this camera, as well as the E-M1? If so, what draws you to one or the other?

• Like Like x 4
  2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    already have to say, having external dials for Av*/Tv/Ev/ISO are a huge win over Olympus, esp Sony, and even that messy Nikon Df for that matter.
    (*do all XF lenses have Av dials?)

although no stabilization like Olympus

ergo and styling looks better than Sony. hopefully it has the beautifully-quiet shutter of the X100s.

• Like Like x 1
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Shouldn't this be listed under "Other Systems"??

4. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    As long as they get the dials and interface right, I think they'll be in good shape. Several have gotten it wrong, to the ire of reviewers and photographers alike —*see Exhibit A, the Nikon Df.

As for the quiet shutter of the X100S, the X-T1 is a camera with a focal plane shutter. It'll be more quiet than slapping a mirror open and closed, but it is unlikely to be as quiet as the diminutive leaf-shutter mechanism of the X100S.

Possibly; I wasn't aware of that one until you mentioned it. I posted here based on the forum description "For cross-brand comparisons by prospective µ4/3 camera buyers and others" because some have said that potential E-M1 buyers might be curious about this camera, and because I'd seen other non-µ43 cameras compared here, as well as some non-camera gear altogether. Hopefully discussion here won't cause confusion. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Good points! :smile:

I just didn't want useless Fuji bashing by *-*-*-*-*-*-*! (don't know why I can't type it out, but it becomes x'd out)

I love my m43 camera (and even seriously considering picking up the EM-10) but love my Fuji cameras as well.
    I accept each of my camera's flaws and limitations, and use my camera's towards their strengths.

But it seems like it's hard for some to feel secure in their choices..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Completely agree.

I've been a M43 user for the past three years or so for travel and personal work, but only recently began applying these tools in our studio for more serious pro work. It's been exciting and fun to see companies like Olympus and Fuji step it up, but also to see them take rather different routes to actually get there with gear that a pro studio or any serious enthusiast could put to use for critical work. So it's interesting to see the intersection of some of their design elements. And yet each of these tools is still going to excel respectively in different areas.

For example, the E-M1 IBIS is always going to play a major role in the photographer's decision, as might the excellent imaging sensor of the X-T1. Or maybe other features entirely might be more attractive. Some like a lot of dial-based interfaces, or having aperture control directly on the lens.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I want the E-M1 and X-T1 to have a baby. As it is, if that exposure compensation dial works on the ISO setting (manual mode), it's going to be pretty tough to resist.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    As for dedicated dials, I think the only advantage is the ability to see camera settings before even turning it on. I see all setting immediately on the screen or EVF with the E-M1, and I'll wager adjustment of any part of the exposure triangle is faster on the E-M1 thanks to the 2x2 mode dial - a stroke of ergonomic genius, IMO. This looks like it needs two hands for that, rather than one hand on the lens, the other playing with camera settings. On the other hand, the E-M1 has that suboptimal on/off switch placement...still, looks like a very interesting camera. With a stuff price tag if the rumors are correct.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Mjw: get a Sony A7(r) if you want tha sort of exposure comp action - twin dials and dedicated exp comp that works with auto ISO ;)

10. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    It is similar to proven ergonomics of existing Fuji bodies, with addition of ISO dial. It's a fantastic setup - with only minor gripe being dials having weak resistance (even though its been tweaked from the first gen [e.g. X100 vs X100s]). *Half* the time the camera is pulled out of jacket or bag, I also find the power dial in the ON position. Way too soft.

Personally speaking for me, pre-setting the exposure is a huge advantage. During composition I find its too easy to ignore the parameters as im distracted by tracking the scene. Perhaps its possible to map the small front dial to override ISO for one-handed operation.

Very exciting news all around to start 2014. Wonder if/how the other players are going to respond.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They lost me at the various dedicated hardware dials and switches. I've lost too many shots due to controls that have gotten juggled when the camera is off. I have no desire to go down that rabbit hole again.

For the retro crowd, it looks like a nice option thought. Particularly if they get the AF (even just S-AF) performing competently. The X-E2 has a good ways to go in that area.

12. Isn't it actually this camera that is the response?

• Like Like x 2
  13. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    ISO and Tv seems to have a locking button (thanks Olympus!!!)

Sony is very reactive to the market - as is the m4/3 crowd. Can't wait to see what pops up by summer or Fall!

14. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It was.

:thumbup:

15. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    But alas EV compensation and AF/MF don't. As I said, it looks very slick, but there's a reason that modern cameras moved to a different design for controls...

16. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    A thousand pardons. I didn't know about that one when I posted here, though I tried to carefully research the types of things posted in this forum. Still, my goal is to discuss this from the point of view of someone who might be comparing this camera to the E-M1 as they're obvious competitors.

17. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    That's certainly one take, but not the only take when it comes to comparing the efficacy of retro designs with more modern DSLR designs. Reichmann has commented on the advantages and differences of each. Ultimately, what seems to be a usability problem for one user due to the usage habits, type of bags or straps used, or other factors may well not be any issue at all for another photographer with completely different habits.

18. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    That viewfinder looks massive. I wonder if it really is or if it's just a small body causing it to look relatively large.

Faster AF than the X-E2. Fuji have improved AF in every new body they've put out. Maybe it's finally "there" instead of still lagging behind m4/3. Unfortunately it of course uses an X-Trans sensor so it's a no-go for me right off.

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Certainly. But I'd argue that on the whole, DSLR and DSLR-like cameras are the area where the appreciation of those traits are the smallest. Witness the very mixed reception that Nikon's DF is receiving. On the other hand, in a rangefinder-like camera, they're basically expected, as the success of the X-E1 and X-E2 shows. Or to put it another way, the ergonomic learning curve from a Leica M6 or M8 to a Fuji X-E2 is very small. The gap between a Canon 60D or a Nikon D7000 and this new X-T1 is far more considerable.

Regardless, I hope it does well, and I really hope that the AF is competent. Competition is good.

• Like Like x 1