New Domke bags coming

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ryanlogic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    These look pretty nice. I have the Think Tank retro 5 on my wish list, maybe ill wait and see what these look like if they hit the market soon.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    ThinkTank bags are incredibly durable and very well designed. I've had one for several years now and I love it. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GRRRRR!!!!!

It looks like they still use plastic buckles on the main strap. WHY?

Mr. Domke hasn't been involved with the bag design and manufacturing since the business was sold.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Has anyone found pictures of the new bags? The only pics I can find are that of what looks to be the f-803 replacement. I'd like to see some pictures of the other bags as I'm thinking of getting a ruggedware f-8 soon.

Just a hobbyist.

5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    ugh the Domke logo is even more noticeable although Ill be taking it off like on my current bag

• Like Like x 1
  6. usayit

I agree... I don't like being a corporate billboard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    On the flap strap or the shoulder strap ... looks like metal on the flap.

G

8. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Note the use of Velcro silencers

9. usayit

I am concerned about the shoulder strap. My old domke bag had all metal hardware. My newest domke, wax wear F6, had plastic buckles and i was disappointed. I would have rather them use plastic on the flap and metal on the weight bearing should strap.

Its an area that seems so obviously driven by cost cutting. If the brand is suppose to be the "journalist" choice, then only the most durable hardware is acceptable for some thing as critical as the main D-rings that support the entire weight of the bag.

10. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I kind of like the plastic buckles because they are just as durable( it isn't cheap plastic) and plastic is much lighter and more weather resistant than metal.

And I'm usually an advocate of high quality metal stuff.

11. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I agree totally. I've never had a quality plastic buckle fail. I prefer the plastic on bags like the f-5xb and xc. They don't get hit in the sun, won't snag clothes and are plenty strong enough.

Just a hobbyist.

12. usayit

Sorry.. nothing you say makes any sense. I have had a plastic buckles fail.

There are old Domke bags nearing up on 20 years of service in various professional use still in service. We are not talking hobby shooters like you and I. Those newer buckles haven't been around that long... I doubt they will given the same rigorous use.

If you constantly rub plastic with something that is harder than plastic it will wear through and weaken. There are much more materials out their that are harder than plastic. Not so with various metals.

Weather resistant??? Its not like the hardware is made of Iron ore. Not all metal rusts and the metal used by Domke do not rust or degrade in weather no more than the change in your pocket. Besides.... the flap is still using this same metal material.

Let's take the so call wax wear series bags like mine. The material is THIN... much thinner than the traditional canvas bags that Mr. Tiffen chose himself. Let's take the Domke inserts.... what crap.

Material cost cheapened.... price remains the same and in some cases rises. No excuses.

13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Bought a domke F-6 limited edition, only reason I made the purchase was because this model has all metal connectors...NO PLASTIC CRAP.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    They're nice, but I still have my 10 year-old Domke F2 and I'll have to wait until it wears out. Of course, i'll be dead first so that plan saves me money.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a 40 y/o Domke somewhere. I retired it back at the turn of the century.

G

16. usayit

Wow... they don't make things like they used to (speaking in general).

17. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Are the waxed rugged wear domke bags really made from a thinner canvas?

That would be disappointing

18. usayit

Its a different material that i would not classify as canvas.. Thinner, lighterweight, and does not seem as durable than my other canvas made domke bag. On the flipside, its probably more water resistant assuming its waxed surface is maintained. Its good enough for almost any hobbyist but i doubt it would last 40 years of professional use

19. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I maybe wrong, but the rugged wear reminds me of a wax sail cloth. I have an F6 ruggedwear that I bought used fom Ray here on the forum, and its been around the world literally and seems to have stood up to all that's Ben thrown at it. My only complaint is the plastic rings, and I can't seem to find anyone that sells the ruggedwear wax, as I'm out.