1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New CPL filter with dirt / dust - is it normal?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mark0, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    Hi!

I just got a low priced (about 20 Euro, sent) Kenko 52mm CPL filter, from what it seems a reputable eBay seller. The filter is the non multicoated type, so the price was reasonable: low but not "suspect".
    Here's a pic found on the net of the same model, just as a reference:

jO1zLKO.

The item was of course quoted as "new": it had two small, a bit anonymous, silver seals on the side, that kept the flimsy plastic box closed.

I was surprised to see that the filter was not clean at all: some dust, and also some "greasy" like smudges. All become clear with a Lenspen, but still...

My question is: is this common / to be expected with cheap / low price filters?
    Or I have to suspect that it wasn't new?

Thanks!

2. peteygas

peteygas Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    sedona arizona
    It always amazes me why people would be serious about photography , and the quality of their cameras and especially lenses . Then they buy a inexpensive filter , and ruin the whole package.My philosophy is if you put anything in front of your lens it should be of the same quality.

3. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    That seems logical enough, I agree.
    But, I never used a polarizer, and wanted to get a feel if is it's something that can be useful or interesting for the kind of photos I make.
    So I tought it was better to stay on the cheap, and then eventually buy a better one. Doesn't seems unreasonable.

4. peteygas

peteygas Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    sedona arizona
    If you do any outdoor photography there is always reflections off of objects which greatly reduces saturation of color. A good polarizer is indispensable in correcting for this. my polarizer is a permanent fixture on my lenses when I am doing landscapes. poor polarizers cut down too much light, cause flare and distortion, and may add color casts

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Aside from a cheap vs. expensive filter debate, I would be suprised if there was a large amount of dust/grease on the filter, especially if it was sealed. However all the filters I have bought had the same small seals on the side, so maybe it was just stored in a dirty location...

• Like Like x 1
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I bought a not inexpensive, Hoya HMC 400X ND filter from Amazon. The case seals weren't broken, so the filter was new, but its glass was smudgy and greasy. I just cleaned it, and its fine. All other new filters I've purchased (Marumi and Hoya) have arrived clean. I believe Hoya and Kenko are made by the same company.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    OK, thanks guys!

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    This seems reasonable. A lot of people approach it this way. Nothing wrong with seeing if something is going to be of use to you. If not, you save some money. If so you raise the price of admission but gain a backup.

When you do decide, if you think it is worthwhile, see the attached article. I would posit the notion that you can have the best and still keep to the inexpensive side.

BTW, Kenko can make a pretty good product. Their pro series g;lass ranked fourth here.

Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

• Like Like x 1
  9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I bought the same CPL from amazon and I had a similar experience. One small smudge and one small speck?? It cleaned up fine. I also have just got into photography and thought I'd budget for a CPL and I didn't go for the cheapest option when I bought the Kenco.

10. Buster

Buster Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Same company, same quality. The difference is that in Japan, Hoya filters are ONLY sold under the Kenko brand name, while elsewhere in the world, Hoya is the name everyone sees.

While some companies here in the US sell Kenko filters, they are identical to Hoya.

Glenn Nash
    Technical Service Representative
    THK Photo Products

Use some Windex or similar *with Vinegar* and then blow air between the two filters.