new computer, yikes......

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So I live in Oregon and certain GPU/motherboard/CPU combinations are banned. But for my uses Cyberpower (I've had one of their computers for 6 years) had a great deal 10 hour only deal, actually on special just a couple of hundred over me putting it together and I got a newer GPU at a very reasonable price. I will be able to run both the AMD 6700 (12 gig)/480 (8 gig), one for each monitor, and I think resolve might use all of the GPU's in the system. Razen 9 5900x 3.7/4.8 12 cores/24 threads. Just 32 gig of fast memory for now, will add another 32 when my piggy bank has recovered.

Full cost shipped around $2800 which is way cheaper than a local builder could offer. I am coming from an old I7700/4200 with 32 gig's of slower memory. But I've started to have a few problems and rather than put more money in a desktop that is too old to run many of my main programs fast, well they say you can't take it with you. I'll have a fast SSD 1TB for windows/programs, and 9 TB's of fast spinners plus an additional 8 TB's of USB 3 storage.

I do a lot with Photoshop, Resolve Studio, and Samplitude (DAW) which require memory, GPU, and the computing power. My old machine (which was fast when I got it) is just past it's prime and won't run Windows 11. So my wife and I agreed on a total of around $3K for budget and I spent the day (after a little surgery) shopping. Yikes. Trying to figure out what is a good deal (especially if you don't want to build it yourself) and differences between what programs really need and what you want, and finally the cost of GPU's - well it was a "fun" day.

Nothing stresses a system like 4/6K video. I could really tell the difference in Resolve with and without the GPU, same with rendering in Vegas PRO (I used it up to version 18). Lots of fans and liquid cooling to keep the system within its limits. New box will have a total of 5 140mm fans and a liquid cooling system with 2 fans.

Could of had a nice piece of camera gear for this, twice as expensive as my old computer. But as my wife says, things don't stay the same price no matter what you want. And I spend a lot of time using a computer, so now a 3 to 4 week wait.......but I will be on a photo trip for 10 of those days in the SW (Cal and Arz) shooting great images and video (sure:)) to process on the new computer.

I hope before I second guess myself and catch buyers remorse.....

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With the still ongoing parts shortage, the only way to get newer components anyway seems to be via pre-built machines. Maybe that helps rationalizing your decision.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
With the still ongoing parts shortage, the only way to get newer components anyway seems to be via pre-built machines. Maybe that helps rationalizing your decision.
I believe he was referring to the state no longer allowing high-energy consumption computers and hardware being sold there.

https://nichegamer.com/2021/07/27/h...gy-bill-limits-sales-on-high-performance-pcs/

I'm in CA and my next computer may be an Etch-A-Sketch with a couple of hamsters turning the dials. Might lower my power bill a couple of dollars off the current $550/mo. power bill.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
an Etch-A-Sketch with a couple of hamsters turning the dials. Might lower my power bill a couple of dollars off the current $550/mo. power bill.
Ya but think of all the methane that will be put into the air by those farting hamsters. Think of the planet man!

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ya but think of all the methane that will be put into the air by those farting hamsters. Think of the planet man!
hmmm.... :doh:

Maybe tiny Beano pills for hamsters? Need to ask vet.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But I don't have to heat my room in the winter, so I think its a good buy for the environment..... (not)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom