1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New computer/old SSD/Windows installation?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sammykhalifa, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    So I get all my important files and stuff saved, install the SSD from my old system and a new optical drive, ready to reinstall Windows 7 . . .

and it booted to my old desktop just fine. Well, I had to install from the Gigabyte disk to get the network and onboard video to work, but otherwise everything is working fine. I assumed I had to do a new install. Should I still? I thought the drivers and such would be all messed up.

From everything I've been reading, it should work that way. I'm just taken aback that it seems to be working without redoing everything . . .

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Not really. One my Windows XP installation had survived moving IBM laptop -> HP Desktop -> Dell Desktop on course of about 6 years and Windows 7 is even better with drivers, so if you do not have any issues then why bother.

3. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
  4. Andrius

Andrius Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 29, 2014
    Lithuania
    While you might not need a Windows reinstall, I personally would highly recommend it since you probably have an old installation. I usually reinstall my system every year or a year and a half to get rid of the software I don't use and just spend some time cleaning up the file system, deleting unneeded files which do add up.