New colour profiles for Lumix DMC-GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by fdg, Jul 19, 2016.

1. fdg

fdg New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    No further explanation, no preview images, no history on this site, but a link to a downloadable file? I'll pass...

3. fdg

fdg New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Showing some images is definitely better. IMO it would have been better for you to include images in the OP along with a write-up of the differences, rather than just pasting a link to a downloadable file.

Regardless, I don't have a GX80/85 so it's of no value to me.

5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    fdg - tell us more about the profile, why it was created, what it is supposed to offer over other profiles available for the GX8, etc.

6. fdg

fdg New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2016
  7. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I have used dpcTool to modify profiles. It can be very helpful. I don't have a GX8 so I can't comment on these profiles. They downloaded OK. I opened one up in dcpTool and the code looks OK to me. They look like they do what they are supposed to do - set a color profile on the GX8.

I have made my own profiles for my Panasonic GM5 using dcpTool and some other tools as well. I agree with fdg that Adobe Standard is not a good profile on my Panasonic GM5, and on any other Panasonic I have tested. On the other hand, it's not always easy to make a better profile. There can be a lot of trial and error involved in picking another camera for donor profiles and making adjustments to tone curves and color.

One way to check out these profiles is to download a sample GX8 RAW file from the "new studio comparison tool" at dpreview and do some A/B testing in Lightroom or Photoshop. Imaging Resource has some sample raw files that have color charts in them as well.

8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    I figured out I had to extract the profiles from the .rar file before I could install them on the Mac. Got it now, thanks!

9. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    These profiles are GREAT, colors are awesome!! Thank you for sharing! Adobe standard looks so flat after this.

Is it hard thing to convert these to GX7 as well? I just shot a weddings last Saturday, bodies were GX8 and GX7. Its unfair how much better files from the GX8 looks with these profiles. Since i don't have any experience of these, can someone help me? Can i use e.g. dpcTool to convert these to GX7 as well? Im total rookie with these so any help or tips would be wonderful :)

10. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    Just tried these out and the colours appear a bit too vivid for me, Adobe Standard appears more natural.

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Would these work for the GX85?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app

12. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Yes at some cases. But there is also Natural profile which makes more sense in case where photos appear too vivid. Of course its matter of taste always =)

13. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

The good news first.

dcpTool is free. Here is the main webpage for the site.

Introduction

dcpTool is a command line utility, which takes some getting used to if you haven't used one before. But it will decompile these profiles. After that you can go in with a text editor, change the name of the camera and of the profile itself, and then recompile the new profile using dcpTool.

The bad news is that the camera profile probably wont look as good on the GX8. The GX8 sensor has more pixels than the GX7, 20MP vs 16. The color and tonality that the sensor plus Panasonic's firmware delivers to the RAW file is probably different.

From my testing, even RAW files from cameras with the same manufacturer and the size sensor (in Megapixels) can have different color and tonality. Between Olympus and Panasonic, that is nearly always true - the RAW files will look different, and the camera profiles to make them look good are a lot different.

There is another free tool, this time from Adobe, that can be used to modify the color and tonality of the profiles. It is called DNG Profile Editor. It can be downloaded for Mac or Windows directly from Adobe. It is a regular app, not a command line app, but in some ways it is more difficult and confusing to use than dcpTool.

For myself I actually get some enjoyment from using these tools. Before I buy a camera I download RAW files and see how the color and tonality looks. If I don't like it I start working with dcpTool and DNG Profile Editor to see if I can get a better profile.

In fact I just finished making a color profile with these tools for a new lens! The color from the 20mm ƒ1.7 looks a bit different on my GM5 than the 12-32 and other lenses, and it was just different enough to get me to make a new profile. I used DNG Profile Editor and a Gretag-Macbeth color chart to make the new profile, and swapped out the tone curve with dcpTool.

If you want to start from scratch making profiles instead of modifying existing ones, taking photos with a color chart and using software that automatically creates a profile is a good way to go. There is an all in one product that has the physical color chart and software, called the Passport ColorChecker. I get better results from Adobe's DNG Profile Editor than the ColorChecker software, but the ColorChecker software is easier to use. The color chart included with the Passport works with Adobe's software.

There is a guy who has found a color and tonality look that he likes and has been translating that look to many Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras. He charges money for his profiles, and I understand why! It's a lot of work. You can get his Huelight profiles for both of your cameras here:

Huelight Panasonic Camera Profiles

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1