New Canon Compares Itself To The OM-D

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by MajorMagee, Mar 21, 2013.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    Silly size comprasion with that huge ef/ef-s lenses :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The problem is that body size is not the only advantage that the E-M5 has over existing entry-level DSLRs. Controls, weather sealing, build quality, etc., are all features that the T4i and similar offerings from Nikon don't have. In going down to compete for size, they give up even more features (even less direct control, loss the swivel screen, etc.), so the comparison becomes about size alone. Then, you add the lenses ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Ultracompact DSLRs from Canon and, presumably, Nikon (they must be working on one), will slow growth of MILCs, but won't kill it. When I switched from a Nikon D3100 to m4/3, the biggest size/weight savings wasn't the body, it was the lenses.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Lol, only the body weighs the same.

The kit EF-S lenses are inherently larger than the equivalent MFT versions with OIS:

1) 18-55 STM vs P14-42
    2) 18-135 STM vs P14-140
    3) 55-200 STM vs P45-150

The only exception I can think of off the bat where the Canon lens is smaller for the same FoV is the Canon 40/2.8 vs. the Sigma 30/2.8

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    An amusing comparison to say the least.

i-FSfdRxw.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I view this as more of a competitor to the Panasonic G series. If Canon comes out with some smaller lenses to go with this they could have a winner.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its funny how many people overlook the size/weight difference of lenses and focus squarely on the body.

• Like Like x 2
  8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    interestingly how will the GH3 compare...

9. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
  10. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    pwned.

• Like Like x 3
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're not aiming for the E-M5 here. They're aiming to bracket consumer mirrorless. The EOS 100D is meant to sit above the G5/E-PL5/A37 and the EOS-M to sit below them. Considering their marketing and especially distribution, I imagine the 100D will sell quite well, although it may or may not impact m4/3 directly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Definitely agree. Canon is huge as are their distribution and marketing resources. Especially in the US I expect the 100D/EOS-M bracketing will work really well. m43 distribution in the US is abysmal. What I like for a camera is by no means what the market in general likes.

As a former Canon shooter what is sort of sad is this makes it really clear they have no intention of doing any serious mirrorless work. On the plus side I have no regrets about finally selling off all my L-glass last year. If I move to or add another system in the future it will be a future FF mirrorless system and based on Canon's moves to date I can say with almost certainty that product won't be coming from them. And honestly I'm not sure I'd even move to a FF mirrorless if it existed - m43 is a nice sweet spot for me.

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think Canon has a great idea with this new DSLR. However it is not a m4/3 killer. M4/3 and mirrorless in general is about a lot more than just body size/weight. Will some people get this over an E-M5 or G5/GH3? YES but probably more because of availablity and pricing than the Canon being the better camera.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Looks like a nice camera. I agree with the posters that M43 will always have a size advantage (lenses) compared with APS-C cameras, but this is a camera that a lot of buyers could seriously consider against a M43 camera. Even with the kit zoom, it doesn't look that much larger than the OM-D with collapsed kit. Put the pancake 40mm on and it's even closer. I think a lot of people also prefer an optical viewfinder to an EVF. I'm glad to see that Canon has brought a competitive small camera to market.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm imagining it'll have some internal cripplings so as not to feed of the existing larger models ... as far as I know only m4/3rds doesn't routinely do much of this.

But : shrinking the overly large and hollow-feeling entry-level DSLRs is a good step.
    My e-410 is excellent, and a mainstream version can't be bad.

I believe the Sony DSLSTs are Canon's REAL target.

16. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    100D may be a nice option for people already invested in Canon DSLR lenses, but I can't see it being terribly attractive otherwise.Yes, it's tiny compared to other DSLR's, but compared to M43 and NEX cameras it's still large. And once you add lenses, it becomes huge and heavy pretty fast.

Much rather have my OMD. Better materials, weather proofed, superb in-body stabilizer, folding screen etc. Costs much more, granted, but there are plenty of cheaper M43 options, too.

Still, kudos to Canon for trying. At least it's a better effort than the EOS M. *cringe*

Eh, still big: http://j.mp/11kLtyj

And an OMD comparison is not really fair. OMD is way better featured, better build etc. Instead, compare it to an MFT camera in the same price range, then compare sizes... like the EPL5 which has the same MSRP with kit lens.

Compared to EPL5 and lenses: http://j.mp/11kMKFx

Not very small at all.

17. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I see it as more of a competitor to the G5 in terms of price, form, and size. A chubbier, less ergonomic G5 with bigger, heavier lenses. There are a few advantages -- bigger sensor and better autofocus. And full compatibility with the Canon EF lens catalog.

I see the main market for this being Canon shooters who want a smaller second body, but don't want to go mirrorless. Plus people with a large collection of EF lenses who want a smaller/lighter primary body and don't want to have to purchase everything again.

18. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Closer in size to the G5 and GH3:
    Compact Camera Meter

19. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I really think Canon has a limited market for this. However, there is still a common misconception among amateurs and new photographers that Canon=better than everything else. I know at my school this is the case. They often see my "tiny" GH2 (which I use for video) and discount it right away. However, it is a great video SLR(I know its mirror-less) tool! In fact, I prefer it to the Canon 7D and in certain cases to the 5D3. I think the main thing that needs to happen to get m43 cameras into the hands of new photographers is better marketing! Unfortunately, this new Canon will probably become more popular on the merit of the name brand alone. While I like Canon and think it has its place, I have a real passion for m43 now and love the format! I would really like it to gain some credibility and a wider user base.