New Canon Ad Campaign With A Twist

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jun 26, 2013.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Seem like really lame ads to me. Basically, they're attacking cell phone camera on convenience grounds. Wonder how that's going to work out. :rolleyes:

Smart marketing would be to emphasis the differences, and what a real camera does better. Not being a phone is not a selling point.
    A good ad would have something like 2 portrait shots against a busy background, one taken with cell phone, with everything in focus, and the other with a full frame with a blurred background emphasizing the model. Properly done the difference would be dramatic. The slogan:
    "When you're ready for real photography, Canon is here."
  2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Sorry Canon, that horse has already left the barn.
  3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    It seems pointless to mock using cameras in phones. People will still continue to use them. Even if they have a nice camera at home or not.
  4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Good for Canon! Phone pis for anything but the "reminder" photo is a waste of energy. How many pics taken today will be deleted by tomorrow?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can take lame selfies in a poorly lit bathroom with any camera.
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lame... very Lame...

Embrace change... direct it.. influence it... don't resist it.
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I think it is clever and well played with the very photogenic backgrounds. Dunno if it's gonna work because in a way it reenforces that shooting with a cell phone makes showing those images to the person on the other end on the cell phone much easier.

But Canon's never been wrong ... so it gotta work.
  8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, like the EOS-M. What a homerun that is. :biggrin:
  9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I dunno. I thought the ads were funny. Well designed, pretty, great expression, consistent direction.

I like the blog comparison of the Chicago tribune Cover of the Stanley Cup VS the.. umm... well.. maybe the Sun Times shouldn't have taken that call during the photo.

Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times Covers After the Stanley Cup Finals

Not being a Chicago person... what's up with their very large fonts? Are they owned by the NY Post?