New camera suggestions

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by KingDuck, Nov 16, 2012.

1. KingDuck

KingDuck New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm thinking of downsizing a DSLR and currently have the following on my short list:
    - Olympus OM-D
    - Sony NEX-6
    - Fuji XE-1
    - Wait for Panasonic GH3
    - maybe E-PL5?

OM-D
    Pros: smallest overall package, touchscreen, widest range of lenses
    Cons: m43 sensor

NEX-6
    Pros: wifi, APS-C sensor, pano
    Cons: not many good lenses, largest lenses, no touchscreen

XE-1
    Pros: APS-C sensor, image quality, built in flash, good lenses, pano
    Cons: raw conversion for Aperture, not many lenses, no touchscreen

GH3
    Pros: touchscreen, widest range of lenses, best video
    Cons: m43 sensor, large body, cost?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Matt

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    What do you want to take pictures of?

3. KingDuck

KingDuck New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah sorry. Mainly family shots, landscapes, HDR, long exposures, some street stuff, ...

HDR exposure bracketing is limited with Fuji now too. +/- 1 exp.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Which part is the "con"...:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    RT Panther, a little side topic, but does 14-150 work well on PL5?

6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    yeah, why is a m/4 3rds sensor a con?

my little e-pl1 kicked my aps-c canons, 40d, t2i and t4i to the curb.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm....Well it's an Olympus Micro Four Thirds lens on an Olympus Micro Four Thirds body - works well enough for my needs :smile:

8. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Another factor to consider is also the ergonomics - go and try all of them in the store and see which one appeals to you the most. Some people with big hands don't like the OM-D because the layout is too squishy for them. They're all fine cameras, really.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KingDuck

KingDuck New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    That's why I'm asking the question - thought with m4/3 sensor it might not have the depth of field that aps-c sensors do? i've seen plenty of mention of this in various sites. although it does seem that new m4/3 are overcoming this.

The other issue was low light performance.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The OM-D is probably the most versatile camera for shooting the broadest range of subjects with the GH3 as a very close second.

Unless you have an extremely well trained eye, most people will not see a difference in IQ between all the cameras listed (unless you're making some huge prints).

While the smaller µ4/3 sensor will never match the slim DOF of an APS-C at the same aperture, similarly the APS-C will never match a FF sensor at identical apertures ... the newer, faster µ4/3 lenses are creating images with such slim DOF that the differences between of an APS-C and µ4/3 DOF at similar aperture is insignificant.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  11. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

shot with my ancient e-pl1, ancient 12mp sensor that 'various sites' claim no shallow depth of field.

1116-2.

12. KingDuck

KingDuck New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    Very nice shot and good example.

13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    why thank you..

I mainly shoot with the e-pl1. And yes, I do have a OMD EM-5.

But the E-pl1 is probably the worst of all the pens, and those other websites will tell you it doesn't shoot in lowlight situations as well, to that I say:

1031-9.

14. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The depth of field (DOF) difference is that at the same aperture and framing you will have roughly 33% more depth of field with m4/3rds than with APS-C.

This is actually a fairly minimal difference and, in my opinion, for everything you described as your goals to shoot the DOF difference is either neutral or to your advantage.

Family, shooting a moving child indoors greatly benefits from more DOF at the same aperture, as it is makes focusing a little easier on the camera and you are more likely to get the childs face in focus because you have a larger area of acceptable focus while still shooting wide open to help with the lower light levels you usually have indoors. It also helps when shooting video, where you generally want a lot of DOF so no matter where the child goes they are in focus without a lot of focus-hunting, but where, when indoors, you can't use a narrow aperture to get the DOF.

Landscapes, it is a wash. You can use a wider aperture for the same DOF, but diffraction kicks in earlier.

For HDR and long exposures it is irrelevant anyway.

For street, much like general family shooting, you usually want a good bit of DOF. "F/8 and be there" is the classic saying for street photography. The f/8 part is about having enough DOF. On m4/3rds you would get the same DOF at f/4. So basically it is all advantage when shooting street with m4/3rds. You get more DOF, faster shutter speed, or lower ISO (your choice), basically for free.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Buying into M43 you get to chose between 2 manufacturers. Has any other system developed more over the past few years?

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Low Light performance of the OM-D is wonderful:

GRAA0276.
    OM-D w/ P100-300 @ 162mm, 1/350, f/4.6, ISO 1600

GRAB0031.
    OM-D w/ P45-200 @ 56mm, 1/125, f/4.1, ISO 3200

GRAB0493.
    OM-D w/ O75mm, 1/90, f/1.8, ISO 3200

GRAB0113.
    OM-D w/ P45-200 @ 200mm, 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 3200

GRAB0376.
    OM-D w/ P100-300 @ 300mm, 1/90, f/5.6, ISO 4000

Gary

• Like Like x 3
  18. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    iso 1250, with no noise reduction, Omd Em-5, kit lens

belina1.

19. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The OM-D E-M5 also has an amazing image stabilization system for shooting video. There is no other camera available today, not even the most high-end full on professional ones used by major movie studios, that can match it. You literally have to have a full steadi-cam system to match or beat it, and even then there are things that such a system can't do "on the fly" that the the E-M5 can (A steadi-cam can do them, but you have to plan it well ahead of time).

20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    :43: will give you the widest selection of native lenses - it's arguably the most mature system of those you named.