1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Camera - Old Camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonoslack, Jan 22, 2016.

1. jonoslack

jonoslack Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    I bought one of the first E-M1 cameras. It was put through hell: water and dust, snow and high temperatures - more to the point it hit the road twice, was repaired by Luton cameras, and was finally retired last summer in favour of the E-M5ii. . . . I've been missing it ever since, and today I bought a replacement, shiny and lovely (and very sensibly priced with the free grip and 100gbp cash back) - when I registered it I was amazed to find that the previous body still had 6 months service plus left and this one was covered until 2018.

It might seem odd to be buying a camera that's been around for so long, but the final decision was after fiddling about with a Nikon D750 at WEX. . . .

I do have some alternatives but it's lovely to have a young and virile E-M1 again, and I'm right up for that Pen-F if it's what it should be.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I know the feeling! Bought, sold, and came back to the E-M5. Just got myself an E-P5 to go with it. What a sweet camera. Doesn't always have to be the latest one out :).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Totally!

It's not to say one can't get used to another camera but I will put it this way: when I find a pair of shoes I really love, I buy three pairs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If I find something that works I tend to go back to it. Sure, new cameras have cool new features but that almost never translates to me making better images.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I agree 100%

• Like Like x 2
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Preference is a funny thing. Sometimes I find that I actually prefer the older model. For instance, I prefer the images from the Fuji X-E1 over the X-E2, I still think the NEX 5n is the best APS-C camera Sony ever made when it comes to using adapted lenses and I like the design of the Olympus E-M10 more than the E-M10 mark II.

It's easy to get caught up in a constant cycle of upgrading. The companies that make these cameras count on it. If there is something you really need then it makes sense but for me that is a lot rarer than me simply wanting a new toy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I have the E-M5 and the MK II. I must admit I like the foldable screen better than the articulating screen. I have no qualms shooting with the MK I but the resolution of the screen and the viewfinder of the MK II is far better.

8. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Everyones know I've bought and sold the E-M5 many times. I keep coming back to the E-M5. I currently have it again! I don't think I'm selling it anymore! I've learnt my lesson. lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    I now have an E-P3 in every color they made and together all three of them cost less than one did when they first came out. I still love the camera and I can't ever see myself selling any of mine. I've looked at the newer models but honestly they are just not as appealing to me for some reason. Every once in a while in life you just come across a thing that's perfect for YOU. The E-P3's they are just like that for me. The E-P3 is not the only camera I am passionate about but I remain passionate about it several years later. I got the third for a song. Didn't need it at all, but I just couldn't resist adding it to my little collection, having a complete "set" as it were.

If I really like a camera I usually do get more than one in the end. I have several Pentax DSLR's including two K-30's, a camera I just totally fell in love with at first sight. I'm a photographer so having more than one body isn't much of a luxury. I have to have backups to make sure I can keep working, but what cameras I buy that has a lot to do with which cameras I really LIKE than not. I like my K5II as well but I don't feel the need to own multiples really and I still don't think I need a K3 or K3II either. My K30's? I'm still drooling and I admittedly have the blue one in my cart on Amazon so I can check it "just in case" I ever find one for some crazy low price that makes it too much of a bargain for me to say "no" at the time. (I have a red one and a white one. Blue would make it a complete and rather amusing set, for me given I am from the USA....) I did the same thing with the black E-P3 pretty much. Just put it in my cart and waited a couple of years until I could snag it cheap and not feel like I was being a totally indulgent fool for going there.

Honestly though I'd rather buy older cameras than buy the latest and greatest models most of the time. I feel like they are a greater value given the things I do like in a camera vs the things I don't. There are so many things now that they are doing with these cameras that I just don't need. GPS, tons of MP's, two card slots, rotating screens, higher end video capacity, stuff like that. I'll never use it so why pay extra for it? An E-P3 actually does 100% of what I need a M43 camera to do. It's perfect for ME and that's why I have three of them, one in every color they made, and a nice little pack of M43 lenses that they can all share. I may have 3 older bodies but for me the lenses and adapters that was where I actually put my $$$$ when it comes to my M43 set up. If I had bought the latest and greatest I'd have spent more on that one body than on all my lenses to date and I wouldn't have the nice M43 kit I do. I'd probably have that one body and a kit lens at best...

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I too love my photo companions, my E-M1 and E-P5. They go together like two peas in a pod. There user interface is the same and I love the 2x2 dial on both which allows me greater control over settings. I can easily get my bearings when switching from one to the other. It's like having the same camera in two styles, Pen and OMD! You can't beat that.

11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    For me I bought a used E-5 to complement my E-P5 because it was chunkier than the E-M1. It was cheaper too because after my E-PL1 trade in I had to pay only $200 CDN and I get E-5's full weather resistance with my used 14-54 lens which I paid $90 for. Wow what a deal!! Cheapest used E-M1 was like $700 CDN, but not in the same mint condition as my E-5. Nothing odd buying a used camera. It's cheaper and old cameras are already good enough. I found the E-5 plentiful for dynamic range and low light thanks to the latest DXO Optics Pro. In a couple more years, I may add the PEN-F or E-M1 Mark II into my collection only if either my E-1, E-5 or E-P5 dies. Or add simply because I find another cheap used deal again like my E-5 or E-P5.

• Like Like x 2
  12. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    While I now use 2 Gx8 (big video user), I love my EP5. I love the ability to use it with the Pany 14 sans EVF for a stealth camera or hook up the EVF with the 75-300 for critters. You will love it I think.