New camera from Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by okinana, Apr 16, 2012.

1. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Cool. Kind of what everyone has seemingly been asking Olympus for; an IBIS rangefinder with integrated EVF that isn't in the hump.

2. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Saw that too - already started saving for it, whatever it is :D

3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Yes! no Igor clone, please - clean line across the top and I'll buy it :)

4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    And maybe a tilting or swiveling OLED touch screen...and some tweaking of the UI maybe

...according to the rumor the built-in EVF tilts up to 90 degrees but a tilting/swiveling OLED touch screen would still be useful for taking shots from the hips and other uncompromising situations/positions.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Very cool, if it is true.

I'd rather have a tilt OLED touch screen than the tilt EVF. But even better is to have both!

6. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Aside from aesthetics, what is the benefit of the "rangefinder" style?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Panasonic have proclaimed they are going to make a very, very high quality camera so perhaps this is a pre-cursor to it?

Fuji have proved there is a demand for a small digital high quality rangefinder style camera so perhaps Panasonic are joining albeit late.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Aesthetics!

I'm no marketing guru, but Pany would have too many different lines of m4/3 cameras. GF for entry level, G for entry level w/ EVF, GX for enthusiast, GH for enthusiast + video w/ EVF, and a fifth line of G .... GHX?

9. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    It's a lot more inconspicuous out in public. I get FAR more looks at my GH2 now than I ever did with my GF1, even though I'm using the same large-ish lenses. People see the SLR shape (even a small one like the GH2) and think "ooh, a pro camera! what's he shooting at?!" and see a rangefinder box and think "oh, a point and shoot - stupid tourist"

Aside from that, a rangefinder body is slightly easier to pack in a small bag, and people make beautiful half-cases for them. IMO, they look a lot nicer as well, but they aren't nearly as comfortable to hold and don't ever seem to pack the same features and manual controls as the mini-SLR style body.

• Like Like x 2
  10. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    It's largely aesthetics (and thus the stealthy, disarming nature of a rangefinder over the imposing, sometimes off-putting nature of aiming an SLR at someone), but in practice a rangefinder body should also end up being smaller/slimmer than an SLR-style body (reduced hand grip, no VF/flash hump, etc.). This comes at the price of ergonomics/handling, as an SLR style will generally be more comfortable to hold/use, depending on the size of your hands.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Looks cool. If they make the swivel EVF work, I could see that becoming the GX2 or G6. Seeing as they downsized the G3 so much, they could just combine the G series and GX series into 1 line. This way, they have the:
    -flagship GH series, with all of its ergonomics, controls, space for a larger battery, etc.
    -Midrange G series, rangefinder style, with decent controls and an EVF
    -GF series, tiny as possble

Function also plays a role. The camera is generally smaller. You can downsize the camera, so that you have a viewfinder without the hump, which is partially there because people often do both-eyes open shooting.

12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I for one would love to see it play out like this. I'd get a GH3 (or keep my GH2) for "serious" shooting and get a GX2 with smaller EVF and tilt or swivel back screen for inconspicuous street shooting and to replace my GF1 as a second body.

Having an offset EVF in a corner also allows for this, but favors right-eye shooters. The other reason to have a ridiculously huge and useless hump (*cough* E-M5 *cough*) is so you can impress your hipster friends and make the camera harder to pack.

13. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't you think a tweaking of the UI is also in order? I used to own a GF2 long time ago. Comparing it with Olympus PEN UI, the Panasonic's UI is less user-friendly. I know it just takes some getting used to, but a tweak is probably a must.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I find that holding a camera at arms length and looking into the LCD is a lot less stealthy than my G2 down low using the flip out LCD...but to each their own.

15. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Technique-wise, I agree with you - I'm just talking about the reactions I get to my GH2 that I never get when using the GF1. Something about the SLR shape seems to strikes fear and/or interest into the hearts of onlookers. Maybe I'll try taping up the logos...

16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I've never used an Olympus body, but there are certainly some things I miss from my Nikon D90. Being able to hold two hard buttons for two seconds (and then click OK to confirm) to format a card was way easier than digging in the tool menu. Also, the Custom menu makes no sense to me in Panasonic land. I'd expect that to be a customizable menu, not something that holds the "advanced-ish" options that are somewhere between Tools and Rec (which also makes no sense - the term "Rec" is commonly used for video, not stills). Then there's My Menu which is what I might also expect Custom to be, but appears to really be the last 5 features used. And then there's the Quick menu which is where I'd want my customizable menu to go, but that seems to be a more visual layout of some of the Rec options and some of the Custom options and some of the hard key options. Assignable Fn buttons are nice, but for god's sake, why can't I assign ANY menu item to them? I'd love to turn on/off MF-assist quickly, for instance. Have it work like the memory on a car stereo... dig through all the menu items until you find what you want, and then press and hold the Fn button for 3 or 4 seconds to assign it. When it's done, a little Fn1 or Fn2 label appears next to the menu item so you know what you've assigned.

So yeah, the menus need work. Thankfully most of what I'm after is on the hard buttons on the GH2 :)

[edit] AND FURTHERMORE.... why can't I pick how long I want the self-timer to be? Is it that hard to make it an up/down function to choose between 1 and 20 seconds?

17. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Pretty much the way I see it, too. Thanks.

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'm currently shooting with an E-PL1 and have decided that I'm not going to upgrade until something like this comes along - basically a m43 DMC-L1/NEX-7 but with IBIS. I won't hold my breath though and I expect to be shooting with my Oly for quite a while.

19. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If its a NEX7 shaped brick with EVF I am going to moan in agony and send back the E-M5 that is yet to be shipped to me.

But seeing as there are no definitive leaks on a possible new body (there were leaks for the GX1, GF5, G5), I doubt that something could be kept secret for this long.